Once upon a time in my own world ...

Cinnamon pain

 

"I know this guy " My voice was little more than a murmur. "Jinjja? He's cute" Declared Unnie excitedly.

"Tina-sshi, what a pleasent surprise." He looked very cheerful and glad to see me again, and so was i.

 

************************

 

 

"Let me introduce myself, I'm Jason. Nice to meet you … " He shook Unnie's hand.

"Oh! My pleasure. Yuri, Yuri imnida… " She shyly responded.

"Ere… I didn't expect to see you again in Korea... " I interrupted.

"Well, I'm done with my project in London, so I came back to work in my family's company" He said, giving me an eye-smile.

"Oh. I see. You're still a reporter, right?" I signed to unnie to leave first. She glared at me, her eyes flashing and just ignored me.

"Yes, I am" He nodded then added " What about you miss Tina?" He asked with a curious stare.

"Oh, let say that I'm kind of jobless for the moment" I replied, rolling my eyes.

"Really? I mean you were a good reporter, or maybe… Was it your choice?" His eyes showed real surprise.

"Yes. I mean No, not really. But I had to quit for some personal reasons. It's a long story"  I lazily ruffled my head.

"I asked if there were any other jobs going, but they didn't call me yet" I took a deep breath.

"Ok, i see. If you want, I'll be happy to help you getting a new job in the company where I work"

"Chongmal? That will be great!" I almost jumped up and down "But I don't want to bother you with my problems" My voice sank to a regrettably whisper.

"Aniyeyo, gwetchanayo. You've helped me too when I was in the same situation, remember?"

"The last thing i want is to disturb you… " I replied.

"Not at all, please accept my help Tina-sshi " He insisted.

"Then yes! I'll be happy to work with you again"  I declared, gratefully.

"I'd better blow " I suddenly announced then went to the parking lot leading unnie by the hand.

"Perfect. I'll call you tonight, is it okay?" He asked me and I nodded " Any time ! ".

"Tina-sshi! Your phone number... U didn't give me your phone number!" He spelled.

"Keke… Geure! Here it is. Nice to see you again chinguya" I said, giving him the piece of paper.

"Take care of yourself, see you soon" For no apparent reason he laughed, i just ran to join unnie.

 

We got into the car, unnie went first and i followed her. I could say that she wasn't happy.

 

"Unnie, hwanasaw?" I looked at her with sad eyes. She didn't reply.

"Unnie, unnie stop acting like that, will you ? I have no idea about what i've done to make you that upset… Please tell me "

She turned her head in my direction, flashed a blank smile and said:

" What a great guy"

" What do you mean? I don't get it" I gave her a confused look.

She pointed out all of a sudden toward Jason from the car's window, he was standing there waving us goodbye. I waved him back. We've been silent for a short moment, when i finally decided to pierce the awkward silence.

"Né, you're right… But unnie don't misunderstand it, we're just friends … " I said fixing my seat belt.

"Chingu? So it's okay if i go out with him, right?"

"Oh… Sure, of course you can."

"Are you serious?"

" Yes i am, you liked him, right?"

"No!"

" What? WHy? I… You j..  " I began to say, not knowing exactly what to understand.

" Didn't you see how he was looking at you all the time? He likes you honey. It was self evident." She tapped on my head with her glove.

" Bwoh? Watch your words! Aich i… Jinjja…  Let's just go home, ok?"  I laid my head on the seat and closed slowly my eyes. I was angry with myself because i didn't tell my unique best friend that Jason was more than a friend but what angered me more is that i don't know why i hided this stupid thing from her. How silly!

 

Flashback:

 

 

The room was warm and quiet. Outside it was snowing lightly. I was laying on the sofa, carrying a carton of orange juice and a glass, watching " A moment to remember "; a film that i've seen for more than three times and that i can see again and again, when i heard a familiar engine's sound pull away, i slipped from the sofa using it's arm as a support then walked to the dining room, shuffling my feet into a pair of shoes, i tiptoed out of the house.

I just waited, rocking to and fro as i watched some boys and girls trudging through deep snow, trying hardly to make a snowman, while some other little girls were having fun by making snowballs, throwing them at each other.

I turned my head to the other direction, to see a tall, broad-shouldered guy coming toward me. I followed him with my eyes, he stopped once, took a small box from his pocket, then continue walking again, my heart suddenly started pulsating as if it will escape from my chest, i couldn't understand what was really happening to me.

I went back to my house and stood behind the drape. I looked through the window. The guy was gone. I closed my eyes as a tear started to form in my eye, when i heard someone knocking on the back door making me jump. My whole body was trembling as i walked to the door, i opened it on the five knock.

" Hello " He said gently.

" Yes?" I answered, pulling the door wide open.

" Can we talk?"  He asked politely, looking at me.

" There's nothing to talk about…" I replied loudly.

 " I knew that you'll say that, believe me i have to tell you something that i hided for so long and that i can't keep for myself anymore, please" He chattered as he wiped his snowy boots on the welcome mat and stepped inside. He crossed the room in a couple of strides, and i followed him silent.

" Have a sit. " I said, straightening my hair.

"I'm sorry about last night, i know you're angry but i promise i'll explain everything, that guy doesn't deserve you, i beat him… Yes.… Ok. You're right, i did wrong, but.. I couldn'."

" Keumanhae! Remember when you told that when a door closes another one opens? You said that people just have to knock on it, right? I've been knocking and knocking and knocking, and i'm tired of knocking !"  I was close to tears.

" So why don't you stop knocking and just walking in ? " He suddenly interrupted making my cheeks burn.

" Tina-sshi, will u consider me?" He continued, i was completely startled.

"What? I mean… I don… I thought you'll … you'll never ask… " My heart was pounding as i said those words.

" It's yes, isn't it? Tina… I love you… I always did.. It was love at first sight… I'll never forget that night in my friend's house, when you were crying torrent of tears on the balcony, it was tearing me apart.I was slowly falling in love with you. All i wanted is to see you happy, Chris wasn't the good man for you, he's my best friend, i know him better than myself, my heart broke to see you unhappy, i can't take it anymore, please Tina will you marry me?" He  proposed sitting on his knees, pulling the small box that i've seen earlier out of his pocket, opening it to reveal a diamond wedding ring as he placed it on my ring finger.

I couldn't open my mouth, my eyes widened with surprise, i've never felt so happy, he came closer to me hold me into his strong arms and kissed my forehead then kissed me on the lips.

" I do " I replied, my eyes filled with tears of joy, i felt my throat close up. I rested my head on his neck and abdomen as he ruffled my hair tenderly. I was lucky, i really was.

 

End of Flash back.

 

" Hello? Ironaa, irona-aaa, Tina ! TIIINA ! " She yelled so loudly that my eardrums rang.

"BWOH? You scared me !" I bittered, looking big.

"We're home, you had a deep sleep" She laughed, i then opened my mouth to argue.

"I fell asleep for a bit, ok ? " I spoke the words with a hint of menace.

" You did ? Tssk … Stupid thing"  She said bitting my cheeks to keep me from talking.

"Let's go inside i'm starving!" Said unnie rubbing her stomach. " I missed your mum's cooking… Hmm !"

"Unnie… I didn't have the opportunity to tell you that we don't live in this house anymore…" I began.       " Oh ! So where do you live now?" She asked excited.

" We… I mean … I … I live just there …" I pointed to halmoni's house.

" Bwoh? Living there is like living in your old house, no? It's the same. So why did you moved in there ?" She took a step nearer.

"I live there, mum went to Russia for some reasons, i'll tell you about it later, this is our neighbor's house, she's like a grandmother to me, she allowed me to stay in her house until i find a place to live in" I declared, her eyes were light green and flecked with gold.

" Oh, geure … then i'll go, if you want i'll see you this evening… Call me !" She was about to open her car's door ready to go, but i blocked her way.

" Papo ! Halmoni will be happy to meet my bestfriend, would you join us for lunch ? Huh? jebal !" I begged.

"Geureyo? Oh… Well… Ok! Yes i'd love to" She slammed the car's door, and held my hand.

" Paeygopa !" We shouted simultaneously as we walked a few paces in direction of the front door.

We knocked on it three times and halmoni came out handling a bowl of salad,  and a blue table napkin.

" Oh, annyeonghaseyo halmoni" I said kissing her on the cheek.

" Annyeonghaseyo" Bowed Unnie.

" Halmoni, this is my bestfriend… Unnie this is Halmoni" I presented.

" My darling's friends are always welcome in my house" Halmoni stretched her hands out in welcome.

" Oh kamsahamnida Halmoni" Unnie hugged her and invited us to walk inside. We followed her.