Chapter 6: Christmas Without Pigeon/Christmas Depression

I Just Can't Let You Go

            I woke up to the feeling of someone on my bed.  I opened my eyes and noticed there was more than one someone.

            “Yah!”  I sat up.  “Kevin, Hyukkie, Siwon, what are you Oppas doing here?”  I put my hand over my heart.

            “You needed to spend Christmas with someone, Lizzie.”  Kevin squeezed my hand.  “Kiseop hyung is in the other room cooking breakfast.”

            I shook my head and stood up, tying my robe on.  “Is all this really necessary?  I’m only pregnant.

            “No one should spend Christmas alone, Lizzie.

            I hugged Eunhyuk.  “Oppa, you should be with Hae and the others.  Or you should be with your family.

            “You are my family, baby.”  He kissed the top of my head.

            I let out a long sigh.  “I meant actual blood related family Oppa.

            “You are still my family, baby.

            I rubbed my belly.  “Whatever you say…

            Kevin smiled and took my hand.  “Come on.  There’s someone you have to see.”  He pulled me out of the bedroom and led me downstairs into my living room.

            I gasped.  “Oppa!”  I ran to him and hugged him tightly.

            His arms wrapped around me.  “You should be more careful, Lee Lizzie.

            I pecked his lips.  “Oppa, I’m fine.

            “How are you feeling?

            I frowned.  “I’ve been better.

            “I still can’t do anything?

            I shook my head.  “I don’t want him hurt, Oppa.  If I wanted that, Hyukkie and Kevin would’ve already done something.

            “What makes you think I wouldn’t, too?”  A different voice spoke.

            I turned and smiled, walking to Kiseop and hugging him as tightly as I could.  “I know you would, too, Oppa.

            He rubbed my back.  “How are you doing?

            “I’m ok now.”  I looked up at him and smiled.  “You didn’t have to come.

            “But I wanted to.  I couldn’t let Kevin come see you by himself.”  He set his hand on my belly.  “How are you doing, little one?

            I smiled.  “The baby is fine, Uncle Kiseoppie.

            He grinned and pinched my cheek softly.  “I hope Hoon doesn’t find out we came here.  He’s been wanting to see you.

            “You could’ve brought him.”  I went back to Oppa and sat beside where he had been.  “Yah, Oppa, sit down.”  I tugged on his sleeve.

            He did and pulled me into his lap, my hair.

            My phone alerted of a new text, and Kevin got it and handed it to me.

            I looked at the message.

            I hope you’re ok.  I miss you.  I love you.  Merry Christmas baby.

            I started to tear up and got up, leaving the living room to go back to my bedroom.  I went out onto the balcony and sat in the chair, hugging my knees close and letting the tears flow freely.

            Someone stepped out and knelt down, hugging me.

            “I thought I could do it Oppa.  I can’t do without him much longer.

            “Tell him about the baby, Li.

            I sniffled and wiped my eyes on my long sleeve.  “Kevin…you know I can’t do that.”

            “At least call him,” he said softly, holding out my phone for me.

            I sighed and found the number.  “Will you stay with me?”

            “Sure I will.”

            I called the familiar number and the same voice I’d fallen in love with answered.

            “Hello?

            I sniffled a little.  “Hey…

            “Are you ok?  What’s wrong?”

            “Nothing,” I lied softly.  “I’m ok.  Just a little sick.  Merry Christmas.”

            “Merry Christmas baby girl.”

            “I miss you, too,” I said.  I wanted to say, “I want you back,” to Eli, but I just couldn’t do it.

            “You don’t sound ok,” he whispered.

            Kevin wrapped his arms around me, rubbing my back comfortingly.

            “I’m fine.”

            “If I was at the dorm, I’d ask you if you were available to come over.  But, I’m spending the week with my parents.”

            “Are you the only one?”

            “I don’t know.  Kevin said he was going somewhere.”

            “I’ll have to go see the guys, maybe.”

            “They’d like that, Li.”

            I sat there for a few quiet seconds.  “I have to go now.”

            “I love you baby,” he whispered.

            I started to cry.  “Bye Eli,” I whispered, hanging the phone up and sobbing into Kevin’s shirt.

            “Shh, it’s going to be ok.”

            “Lizzie…”

            I looked up at Oppa and held my arms out.

            He picked me up like I weighed nothing and was a little girl, carrying me inside.  Oppa laid me down and tucked me in, my hair softly as I laid against his chest.  “It’s alright.  Oppa’s here, baby.

            It took me a few minutes to calm down.  When I finally did, we went downstairs and had Christmas normally.  Oppa stayed at my side the whole time.

            I shook a little wrapped box that Kiseop had handed me.  “Seoppie Oppa, what is it?

            “Just open it already Li.

            I gently peeled the paper off and smiled at what was inside.  “Oh Seoppie, you’re the best.”  I took out the charm and picked up my phone, plugging it into the headphone jack.  “I love it.

            “And if you ever want to put it on a bracelet or necklace, all you have to do is cut off the string with the headphone jack plug.

            “It’s so pretty.”  I ran my thumb over the cute little KissMe charm.

            Oppa smiled.  “Just like you, little sister.”  He kissed my cheek.

            I playfully swatted at him.  “Oppa…

            “Yah, you know what happens when you do that.”  He stood up and pulled me onto my feet.  “Do it.

            I pouted and walked over to my speaker with my phone.  I plugged it into the speaker and played Last Christmas by Wham.

            “Last Christmas, I gave you my heart.  But the very next day, you gave it away.  This year, to save me from tears, I’ll give it to someone special…

            I sat down when I was through singing.  “Happy Oppa?

            He smiled.  “Of course I am, Lizzie.

            I went over to the tree in my living room and picked up three boxes.  I took them to the couch and set them on the coffee table.  I opened the first box and picked out two smaller boxes.  “Hyukkie, Siwon, these are yours.”  I gave them to the two guys.  “You need to take the box with you and give them to the others when you leave.”  I got in the other box and gave Kiseop and Kevin their presents.  The other box I set on my Oppa’s lap and kissed his cheek.  “Merry Christmas Oppa.

            Hyukkie looked at the box.  “I don’t know if I can open this.

            “Of course you can.  Open it, Hyukkie.

            The others had already opened theirs, except Oppa.

            Hyuk opened it and smiled.  “Wow Lizzie.  Thank you so much.”  He gave me a hug and kiss.  “I love it.”  He put the cap on his head.

            “That’s not all, Oppa.  Look under the paper.

            He pulled out the necklace I got him and smiled.  “I’ll always wear it.

            “You better.  I have one with your initials.”  I pulled it out from my shirt.  It had Hyuk’s initials on one side, and Donghae’s on the other.

            Oppa stared at the package.  “I’m scared to open it.

            “Oppa…

            “I can’t help it.

            I pouted.  “Just open it, Chanhee Oppa.

            He did and hugged me.  “How did you freaking know?

            I hugged him back.  “Who doesn’t love candy?

            “I love you baby sister.

            “I love you, too, Oppa.”  I pecked him.

            He smiled and tousled my hair.

            I leaned back against the couch and set my hands over my belly.  “Kevin, can I go to the dorm with you and Kiseoppie?”

            “Sure you can.”  Kevin smiled.

            Oppa wrapped an arm around me.  “I’ll be back after I go to the dorm and see the guys.  If I’m not back before you, just call me, ok?

            I nodded and stood up.

            He did as well and hugged me.  “Be safe little sister.

            “I will,” I promised.

            He patted my belly.  “Watch out for your Mother.

            “Ok Umma,”  I said as I rolled my eyes and went to put my jacket on.  I left with Kevin and Kiseop after wishing Hyukkie, Siwon, and Oppa a Merry Christmas and said goodbye.

            Kiseop drove while Kevin and I sat in the backseat and danced and sang to music.

            “There’s a house on the edge of town.  It’s a, little old.  It’s a little run down.  Full of laughter and tears and toys.  Crazy things only love enjoys.  I know where love lives; I know where love lives.  She’s sitting on the back step, in the evening air.  With sea green eyes and her chestnut hair, you keep your mansions of gold buddy.  I don’t care.  Cause I know where love lives…

            Kevin smiled.  “You know, you sing songs like that really well.”

            I smiled and got out of the car when Kiseop opened the door for me.  “Thanks Kevin.”  I looked up at Kiseop.  “Thank you for opening the door for me, Oppa.

            He smiled.  “No problem.

            Kevin got the box out of the back, and we all walked to the elevator.

            We stepped in when the doors opened and rode the elevator up to the right floor.

            I followed Kiseop to the dorm where I stayed for a month the first time I came to Korea.

            He opened the door and walked to the living room.  “Guys, we’re home!

            I buried my hands in my pockets, glad the coat hid the baby bump I sported.  I went into the living room.

            “LIZZIE!”  Hoon got up and hugged me tightly.

            I hugged him back.  “Hi Hoonie Oppa.

            He pecked my forehead.  “I haven’t seen you in two months.”  He pouted.

            I smiled.  “I know.  I’m sorry Hoonie.

            “I forgive you baby.”  He pinched my squishy cheeks.  Hoon looked at something behind me.  “You need help Kevin?

            “I got it hyung.  Thank you though.

            “Who are those from?”  Hoon went to the box and slid out his present.

            “None other than the lovely girl standing in our presence right now, hyung.

            I blushed.  “Kevin, stop, you’re flattering me.

            AJ, Dongho, and Soohyun walked into the living room.

            “Lizzie!”  Dongho and Soohyun both hugged me simultaneously.

            I kissed them both on the cheek.  “Merry Christmas Oppas.

            “Merry Christmas to you, too.

            AJ smiled and hugged me.  “How are you doing, Li?”

            “I’ve been so much better, AJ.  It’s ok, though.”  I stepped back.  “How’s he been?”

            “He’s got hope, Li.  Lots of hope,” he looked at me.  “It’s not false is it?”

            “I just don’t want to tell him yet.”

            “Well you better soon, Lee Lizzie.”  Kevin spoke up, handing the guys their presents.

            “I will Oppa.”  I sighed.  Only Kiseop, Kevin, and AJ knew about my pregnancy.  I wanted for it to stay that way, too.

            I sat down beside Hoon on the couch.  “Yah, pabo, open it.

            “Don’t call me a pabo.”  He tore the paper off.  “It’s finally out?

            I smiled.  “You get the first copy in existence after my own, Hoonie.

            “How many did you finally get made?

            I looked up at Kevin.  “I think I got a total of fifty CDs made.  I can have more made if I run out, though.  I don’t want a stranger getting a copy though.  Just close friends and family.”  I felt a flutter in the pit of my belly and let out a sigh when I had to control myself not to lie my hand against the feeling.

            The guys all thanked me for their presents and a couple of them went to their rooms to rest.  AJ stayed in the living room with me while Hoon, Kevin, and Kiseop went into the kitchen to start cooking.

            “Does it hurt you?”

            “Physically or mentally?”

            “Either or.”

            “It does both ways.  Heartbreak doesn’t just psychologically hurt a person.  It’s physical, too.”  I sighed and ed my jacket.  “I just wish I could tell him without being scared of what he’ll say.  I really don’t think I can, though.”

            AJ put his hand on mine.  “It’ll be ok.”

            When I felt the flutter, I put my hand over my belly and smiled.

            “Can I feel?”

            I took AJ’s hand and let him feel the same thing I was.

            “It’s so amazing.”  He smiled and patted my belly.

            I buttoned up my jacket after he moved his hand away and slid my hands into my pockets.

            “Why do you hide it?”

            “I only want the people I’ve told to know.  No one else.”  I yawned a little.  “I’m surprised Hoon hasn’t figured out.”

            AJ chuckled.  “Nah, I don’t think he’s that smart.”

            “He hugged me really close though.  I was surprised he couldn’t feel it.”

            AJ put his arms around me when I shivered a little.  “How are you cold with that jacket on?”

            “I get cold easily.”  I nestled my face into his shoulder.

            Kevin walked into the living room.  “Lizzie, you ok?”

            “I’m cold,” I murmured.

            “Need a blanket?”

            “No.  AJ’s fairly warm.”

            He set his hand on my forehead.  “Li…do you feel ok?”

            “Yeah, why?”

            He ed the jacket and slid it off.  “Hyung…”

            “Li, is your doctor on speed dial?”

            “Dial five on my phone.”

            Kevin took my phone and dialed the number, putting the phone to his ear.  “Dr. Park?  This is Kevin.  I was with Lizzie at her appointment two weeks ago.  Listen, she says she’s cold, but her forehead is burning up.  I’m concerned about her.  What do we need to do?

            My brain wasn’t registering what Kevin was saying.  I felt a bit dizzy and fell into unconsciousness.

            I woke up with someone’s hand in mine.  I opened my eyes and saw Oppa with his face down on the bed while he slept, our hands in each other’s tightly.

            I groaned and covered my eyes.

            “Li, are you awake?”  It was Oppa’s voice.

            “Oppa, why am I here?

            “Something happened, sis.

            “Did I lose the baby?”  I whispered it so quietly.

            “Oh no!  You didn’t lose the baby.  It’s just that your body reacted strangely to something that you either ingested or came into physical contact with.  I think Dr. Park is still running tests.”  He sat on the side of the bed and pulled me into his arms.  “You almost lost it, but Dr. Park stabilized your body.

            I started to tear up and cried into his shoulder.

            “Shh, shh, baby, it’s alright.  You’re both ok now.  Oppa’s here.  Shh…

            I curled into his warmth.  “Is there anyone else here?

            “All of U-Kiss is in the waiting room.

            I stiffened.

            “Not him, baby sis.

            I relaxed once again in his arms.  “Thanks Oppa.

            “For what?  Kevin is the one who called Dr. Park.”  He looked at something on his phone.  “I’ll be back in a few minutes.  Are you hungry or anything, baby?

            I shook my head.  “Well, bring me something to drink.  Please and thank you.

            “What do you want baby girl?

            “Anything that’s good to drink.

            “Ok.  I’ll be back in a few minutes.”  He kissed the top of my head.  “Push the button if you need anything.”  Oppa got up and left the room.

            I wasn’t alone for long.  Kevin and AJ both came bounding into the room, hugging me tightly.

            “Oppas…

            They stepped back.  Kevin’s eyes were red and swollen.

            “Oppa, why were you crying?

            He sat where Chunji had been and hugged me tightly.  “Dr. Park said if we had waited a couple minutes more, we wouldn’t have you here with us.  If I had called just a minute later, he couldn’t have saved the baby either.

            I felt the tears come to my eyes and hugged Kevin as tightly as I could, setting my chin on his shoulder.  “You saved our lives, Kevin.

            “I’m glad I called Dr. Park.

            “Thank you.  If not for saving my life, then for saving my baby’s.

            He pulled back.  “There could always have been more babies.  There never would be another Lizzie.”  He hugged me once again, crying with me.

            I let out a long breath and laid down, rubbing my belly.  “Does he know?”

            “No.  He’s still with his parents.”

            I sighed in relief.  My hand rubbed the slightly bulging bump on its own.  “Is my angel ok?”

            Someone opened the door.  “The baby is fine.”

            I looked up and smiled.  “Dr. Park.”

            He smiled and wrapped his arms around me.  “You feeling alright now?”

            I sat up a little and folded my hands on my lap.  “I felt fine when Kevin was calling you.”

            “I assure you, Li.  You weren’t fine when they brought you in.”

            “I know.  I wouldn’t be here otherwise.”  The baby started to move, and I set my hand over my belly.

            Dr. Park set his hand on mine.  “I did an ultrasound to see if anything was wrong.  I know if you’re having a boy or a girl.”

            “Really?”

            “Would you like to know, Lizzie?”

            “I would actually.”

            “I’d rather be able to show you on the screen.  Think you can walk?”

            “I don’t know.”

            He helped me up out of the bed.  “Feel stable?”

            I held onto his arm as we walked so I wouldn’t fall or anything.  I had AJ and Kevin stay in my room so if Oppa came back before I did, he could know where I went.

            The doctor helped me and covered my lap.  He pulled up the hospital gown and started the ultrasound after applying the cold gel to my abdomen.

            “Alright Lizzie,” he tapped a few keys.  “Look right here.”

            I looked up onto the monitor and clearly saw my baby.  “Wow…

            He smiled.  “You want to know?  For sure?”

            I looked at him, then back to the screen.  “Tell me Oppa.”

            Dr. Park chuckled.  “You’re having a little girl.”

            I smiled at the baby’s image on the screen beside me.  “I can already tell.”

            “What’s that, Li?”

            “She’s got her father’s nose already.”  I got the ultrasound gel off my belly, and we walked back to the hospital room.  I let Kevin help me onto the bed and laid back.  “I really am excited now.”

            “Why’s that?”

            I rubbed my belly and smiled.  “I know if it’s a girl or a boy.”

 

            I went back to the dorm because I had forgotten a couple of things as usual.  I thought about Lizzie’s call as I went inside.  I went to my room and found the shirt and the other stuff I’d left.  I left my room and found Hoon in the living room, waiting with his phone.

            “Hey, where is everyone?

            “AJ, Kevin, and Kiseop are at the hospital.  Soohyun is sleeping, Dongho went to pick some things up, and you and me are here.

            “Why are they at the hospital?  Did something happen?

            “Yeah…with Lizzie…

            My heart dropped.  “IS SHE OKAY?

            He flinched when I raised my voice, not expecting it.  “I don’t know.  That’s why I’m waiting here.

            “What hospital are they at?”  I started to move towards the hall, but Hoon grabbed my arm.

            “Hyung, don’t go.  You know it’s not a good idea.

            “I don’t give a damn.  I love her.

            Hoon pulled me back.  “I know you do.  Everyone does.  But, hyung, you can’t keep doing this.  She’s keeping her distance for a reason.  A good one, too.

            “Do you know why she did it, Hoon?

            “I have no clue why, hyung.  Honestly, I don’t.  But Lizzie wouldn’t just leave you for no reason at all.  She would never purposely hurt you…unless she had to in the first place.

            Hoon’s phone rang.  He picked it up.  “Is she ok?”  He sighed in relief at the answer, causing me to calm down, too.  “That’s good.  Is she getting released soon?

            “Are you bringing her here?

            “I will.  See you soon.  Bye.”  He put his phone up.  “Kevin said he’s making her stay here…unless she won’t listen.  If that’s the case, he and Kiseop hyung are going to go stay at her place.

            I got an idea in my head at that moment.  “I’ll be back later.  I have to go run and do something.

            “You’re not spending the week with your parents?

            “I need to talk to them, first.”  I went quickly out of the dorm, hurrying to my car.
 


As of right now, I'm thinking of only having a few more chapters, an Epilogue to finish it out, then a sequel fast forwarded to a few years later. I may stop this at like, 15 chapters or so, maybe less.
Also, I'm writing chapters ahead of time so I can be a little ahead of what I want. Rght now, I'm working on Chapter 8 (which shouldn't take me long to write at all).