Chapter 11: The Time’s Finally Come…

I Just Can't Let You Go

            “Holy , so much pain…”  I sprawled out on the practice floor, panting.

            “Are you going to survive hyung?

            “Shut up Kevin.”  I sat up and pulled out my phone.  “Whoa, what happened?”  I muttered, seeing the numerous missed calls and texts I had from my sister.  I was fixing to check when a call came in.  “Hello?

            “I’ve been trying to call you for the past hour now!  Why haven’t you picked up?

            “I’m at work.  I hardly ever pick up my phone.

            “Well you need to get yourself out of work pretty fast.

            “Why?  Did something happen?

            “Your fiancée is in labor, you idiot!

            “WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME EARLIER?!”  I got up and grabbed my bag, throwing my phone into it.  “

            “What’s up Eli?

            “MY FIANCÉE WENT INTO LABOR!”  I rushed out of the practice room and ran down the stairs just so I wouldn’t have to wait for the elevator.  I got into my car and only paused to answer my phone again.  “I’m in a hurry, what do you want?

            “Just want to tell you to calm down and don’t get yourself killed.

            “Baby,” I breathed, leaning back.  “Why didn’t you tell me?”  I swept my hand over my hair.

            “I wanted you to go to work.  You needed to be there.

            “You needed me earlier.  I should’ve stayed with you.”  I pulled out of the lot and started towards the hospital.  Thankfully, it wasn’t too far away.

            “I need you now.  It’s so painful.

            “I’m sorry baby.  Don’t worry, I’ll be there in a couple minutes.

            She whimpered on the line.  “It hurts Eli.

            “Try to relax and breathe through it baby.”  I parked my car.  “I’ll be right there.”  I turned my phone off as I hurried into the hospital entrance and went to the maternity ward.  I found my future wife’s room easily and rushed in, going around my sister and mother to get to her.  I laid my hand on her back.  “Hey,” I said softly.

            Li smiled faintly.  “You made it.”

            I smiled back and leaned down to kiss her forehead.  “Why wouldn’t I?  Don’t answer that,” I added, seeing the expression change on her face.  “Are you ok baby?”

            “Yeah, I’m fine.  It just really freaking hurts.”

            “I’m sorry honey.”  I moved the hair from her face.  “Why don’t you get some rest now?  You look like you need it baby.”

            She shook her head.  “I can’t.  It hurts me too much.”

            I set my hand on her side, applying pressure where she always had the worst pain.  “This better?”

            “Yeah…Thanks Eli.”

            “No need to thank me baby.”  I massaged her side.

            My fiancée’s eyes drooped and, finally, she drifted off to sleep.

            “It’s a good thing you finally took a break son.  I don’t think she could’ve lasted much longer without you.

            I looked at my mom, raising my eyebrows.  “Something happen to Li?

            “She just worried you wouldn’t get here.  You know how it freaks her out.

            I looked at Lizzie, sleeping with a peaceful expression.  “Foolish woman of mine,” I her hair softly after standing upright.

            “Don’t call me foolish,” she murmured.

            I smiled when I realized she was still asleep.  “Love you baby,” I kissed her forehead.

            My sister and mother left, leaving me to stay with my future wife.  Someone else came, though.  Well, it was more like six someones.

            I looked up when there was a knock on the door.  I got up and opened it a fraction.  “Chill out you guys, she’s sleeping.  You can only come in if you’re quiet.”  I let the guys in and Hoon went to sit by Lizzie along with Kevin and Kiseop.

            “She’s like a sleeping angel,” Kevin said.

            “She is a sleeping angel.” Kiseop smiled down at Li.

            I shut the door behind Soohyun hyung and rubbed the back of my neck.  “So, why aren’t you guys still practicing?

            “It’s a family emergency,” Soohyun grinned.  “Practice can wait.

            “Yah, I feel so honored for U-Kiss to stop practicing just because my and Eli’s daughter is coming.

            “Hey, what did I tell you?”  I went to my wife.

            “Oppa, I’m hurting too much to sleep.”  She pouted.  “It’s all your fault anyways.  Besides, I haven’t seen my other Oppas for weeks now.”  She put her arms out to Kiseop.  “Seoppie Oppa, I wanna hug.

            He smiled and hugged her.  “Don’t blame us for not visiting.  Your future husband is a strict person when it comes to you.

            Li sat up and smiled.  “Oh, don’t I know?  I do happen to live with him most of the time these days.

            “You’re such a strong person.  He’s become the strict hyung.”  Dongho sat down.  “Hyung is wearing me down.

            “Eli Kim!”

            “Oh ,” I murmured.

            She smacked my side.  “I told you about that! No cursing in front of our daughter!”  She looked down and breathed a long sigh.

            “Baby, you ok?”

            Li shook her head.

            I sat on the side of the bed and pulled her into my arms, massaging her side.  “Better?”  I murmured.

            She nodded.  “It hurts so much.”  She relaxed and leaned her head on my shoulder.  “She kicks me when I contract, so it adds to the pain.”

            “Have you felt worse?”

            “Of course I have.  Why else do you think I hang onto you so tightly?”  Li curled up into my embrace.

            I rubbed her belly.  “It’ll be ok.  Trust me?”

            “Yeah, I do.”  She rubbed her eye.  “I want this to be over with.  Can’t I get the friggin’ shot yet?”

            “I don’t know if you can baby.”

            “Why the hell don’t you?  You’re so useless,” she teased.

            “I am not.”  I pouted.

            Li smiled and kissed me softly.  “I know you aren’t baby.”  She closed her eyes and buried her face into my shoulder.  “Your daughter is about to kill me.”

            “She’s anxious to get out and see her daddy.”

            “Whatever Eli.  Hana won’t even recognize your voice at first.  It’s a known fact that babies recognize their mother’s voice first.  They don’t know their father until about a week after they’re born, I think.”

            “Thanks for that baby.”

            “I’m only telling you a fact.”

            I poked her cheek.  “You’re so nice to me.”

            She grinned.  “I love you Eli.”

            “I love you, too.”

            Li leaned her head back.  “This needs to stop.”

            I clasped our hands, her left with my right.  “It’ll be alright baby.”  I kissed her temple.

            “Oppa is so going to get it…”  She pouted.

            Hoon smiled.  “We can take care of him if you’d like.

            “Not him, Hoon.”  She picked up her phone and went into her inbox.  “Someone else was texting me earlier…”  Lizzie’s eyes went wide.  “Omo…

            “What is it baby?”

            “It seems Hyuk has a new friend.”  She smiled.  “It’ll be good for him.”  She set her phone aside and leaned back, staring at her belly.

            I set my hand on top of the little round baby mountain that was my fiancée’s belly.  “What’s wrong?”

            “Go see if they can give me that damn shot.  This is gonna kill me.”

            “Alright, I’ll be right back.  You’ll be ok?”

            Kevin pushed me towards the door.  “She’ll be fine hyung.  Go check on that shot for Lizzie now.”

            “Fine, fine.  Just stay with my wife.”

            “Future wife,” he corrected.

            “Oh shut up Kevin.  I’m still calling her my wife.”  I went out of the room and found Li’s doctor.  “Hey Dr. Park.  Li’s wanting to get the shot.  Do you think she’s ready?

            “It should be fine for her to get it.  I’ll call in an anesthesiologist.

            “Thank you.”  I bowed to him and went back to the hospital room.  “Hey baby, you’re getting the shot.”

            “Oh, my savior,” she hugged my neck and kissed me.  “Thank you babe.”

            “You’re welcome baby.”

            The guys left about half an hour later.  Lizzie had gotten the epidural, and she was very relaxed.

            I kept her hand in mine, massaging her palm and part of her wrist.  “Does it hurt baby?”

            “Not as much as it usually does.  I haven’t been able to take the medicine for the CTS because Park said it could harm Hana.”

            Dr. Park came in.  “Hey, how we doing now?

            “The contractions don’t hurt, but my CTS has started to flare.”  Li whimpered when I applied pressure a little too hard.

            “Sorry baby.”

            “It’s alright.”

            “So, how far apart are your contractions?

            “About two minutes, maybe a little less,” Lizzie sighed.  “I can feel it, but it doesn’t hurt.

            “We’ll go ahead and get ready because you’re more than likely going to be having the baby very soon.  I’ll have a nurse come check on you in about five to ten minutes, ok?

            She nodded.  “Thank you Oppa.

            He smiled and bowed.  “That is what I’m here for, Li.”  He left the room once again.

            I looked at my future wife.  “Baby, you still feel ok?”

            “Yes, I’m fine.”

            About half an hour later, it was time for Lizzie to deliver.  I stayed by her side as she delivered our daughter.  It only took five minutes for Hana Kim to be brought into the world.  I went over where they were swaddling her and took pictures with my phone.

            I walked back to my fiancée so they could finish getting everything they needed with Hana.  I didn’t know that she was having complications, though.

            “Eli, I feel dizzy.”

            I looked down at her, thinking it was normal since she’d just delivered our baby.  “It’ll be alright baby.”  I moved the hair from her face.  Then, I caught what Dr. Park said.

            “She’s bleeding out.  We need to get her to an OR and find the bleed.

            “Eli, what’s happening?”

            “You’re bleeding somewhere baby.  It’ll be ok.  I promise.”

            Worry was in her eyes.  “Eli, I love you.”

            I kissed her.  “I love you, too.  You’ll be fine baby,” I assured her.

            Park looked at me, pulling me aside while they took Lizzie away.  “She’ll be fine.  Don’t worry.

            “Do you have kids yet, hyung?

            “Eunji and I have an eight month old.

            “Did she have a hard delivery?”  I rubbed my face.

            “She went through labor crying practically the whole time.  The delivery was worse, but she managed to push even though she has no pain tolerance.

            “What could’ve caused this to happen to Li?

            “She’s had quite a tough pregnancy, Eli.  I wasn’t expecting this to happen, though.

            A nurse came over to me, holding Hana in her arms.  “Mr. Kim?

            I took my daughter from her and smiled, even though I had had tears come to my eyes.  Half of them were sad for my fiancée; the other tears were joyful because I could finally hold my daughter in my arms.  “Look at you, Hana Kim.  You look like Daddy, but you have Mommy’s nose.”

            She looked up at me, moving her little hands.

            I brought Hana up closer and kissed her forehead.  “My beautiful little daughter,” I said as I smiled down at her.  I handed Hana off to the nurse so she could be taken to the nursery, and so I could go check on Lizzie.  Dr. Park and I both went to the observation room where we could see into the OR where my fiancée was.

            “They’ve stopped the bleeding.”  He said as we looked down into the OR.

            I sighed as I watched them perform surgery on the woman I loved.  I lost my cool when I saw that she had started to flat line.  “Oh god…get her back…”  I started to tremble.

            The doctors in the OR had gotten the defibrillators to restart Li’s heart.

            I turned my back to the window and slid down onto the floor, hearing what the doctor had said in the OR.

            “We’ve lost her…


Preview of sequel (yes, it's short, but I don't want to say TOO much):
       "It wasn’t what I’d kept from you that’s breaking us apart each and every day.  It’s what you should’ve said all along."