>>Chapter 48

My and Byun baekhyun's temporary love.

    The first thing she saw when she opened her eyes was the bright, white ceiling. The first thing she felt was pain on her back but it was bearable. The first thing she heard was a gasp and when she turned her head, she saw a young lady pushing a red button next to her. Before she could even process what was happening, the door slid open and a man slipped in, wearing a long white coat that a doctor would wear.

    "Doctor Lee!" Ah, so he was a doctor after all. "Should I call her guardian?" the lady, or the nurse she realized, asked him. The doctor simply nodded and with that, she hurried out of the room while he began to ask her questions that didn't quite reach her.

    Soon, Nana found herself in front of Hyuna, who was sitting in a chair, trying to look as if she was interested in what the doctor was saying. If Nana had heard correctly through all the talking, her back was still mending from the incident at the warehouse. Luckily, he said, due to the fact that she had been "sleeping" for quite a while, her back was almost fully healed. Depending on her condition, she would be able to leave the hospital soon.
 
    "So. Can she leave right now?" Hyuna asked as soon as he finished talking, not forgetting to add on a sweet smile.

    "But-"

    "I mean, you just said she's pretty much okay now. I don't see why she needs to stay caged her any longer. Her memory is perfectly fine. She functions well. Her back is fully healed. Staying in this room for months must've been tiring anyways."

    "But if the patient feels uncomfo--"

    "Nana, you're feeling perfectly fine now, no? Your brain and body still intact?" Nana simply nodded, because she herself couldn't wait to get out of that room. Maybe it was the fact that she had lay down in bed for months. Or maybe it was because she couldn't wait to read the note that she had pocketed earlier. Either one, she would thank Hyuna later for getting her out. After the doctor gave in and signed Nana out, the two girls stepped out of the white building and hopped into Hyuna's car.

    "When did you get here? I was surprised when I saw you come in my room." Nana finally spoke for the first time after waking up.

    "Ah. Well, I flew right over when I heard what happened to you and Baekhyun! I mean, I visited you often but of course you couldn't see me." she smiled. "Oh, and no need to thank me for getting you out. You would be too nice to argue with the doctor." Hyuna laughed as she started the engine.

    "How did you know that I would want to go?" Nana grinned. It was amazing how it seemed Hyuna could see through her.

    "Well, back when I was in junior high, Baekhyun pushed me down the stairs as a joke and I ended up sitting in the hospital for weeks. It was painful not being able to go out and doing whatever the heck I want." she paused. "Or maybe it was cuz I wanted to teach Baekhyun a lesson. I'm not so sure."

    Nana chuckled before she pulled out the note from her pocket. Hyuna immediately noticed it because of the crinkling noises it made as Nana unfolded it carefully. "What's that?"

    "I'm not sure. It was in my hands when I woke up."

    "Aaaayyy. It must be a cheesy note from my little cousin." Hyuna teased, and oh, if only it was. Nana didn't respond. She knew it wasn't Baekhyun from the writing. She hadn't been his PA for nothing, right? As she continued to read the message, her heart continued to drop.

    "Unni.." Nana whispered, barely audible, and Hyuna hummed in response. "Can you drop me off at the company? I-I need to see Baekhyun."

    "Of course you do! You haven't seen your boyfriend in such a long time!" Hyuna smirked."but I'm sorry to tell you, he went on a business trip recently and I honestly don't know when he's going to come back."

    "Oh." was all Nana could muster. Her eyes felt hot and it felt like something was stuck in . No matter how hard she tried to swallow it, it wouldn't work. She stayed silent like that the whole ride because if she opened up, she was scared that all kinds of emotions would pour out. Hyuna had caught on quickly and didn't probe on further although she had no clue what was going on.

    Nana set aside the paper as she didn't want to look at it for another second but she didn't realize that it had fallen from the seat to the floor of the car. So when her apartment came into view, she assumed that it was in her bag and quickly stepped out, stopping only to give Hyuna a quick wave.

    After fumbling for her keys in her bag, she realized that she had no idea where she had last left it, which was quite far back in the past. Looking to her right and left, she checked her surroundings before putting her hand in the flowerpot to dig up the spare key. She had a hard time fitting the key in but finally managed. The first thing she did was rush to her room and pack her clothes and the few things she had brought to Seoul. She didn't want to waste any time.

    Rushing to the train station, Nana payed for a ticket and sighed in relief when she realized that she had enough money for it. She barely had enough money in her account but she didn't regret it one bit. All of the money she had earned went to her parents but she knew that even that money wouldn't help her parents out of this situation.

    The train ride seemed so long because every second of it, she was wondering how much longer it would take to get home. To her parents. She didn't know when she fell asleep but she woke up to a fellow passenger nudging her shoulder. She gratefully thanked the girl and zoomed past her, leaving the young student in a daze.

    Nana would have stopped for a moment and taken her time to appreciate the Busan air, her hometown, but that didn't matter to her at the moment. With her luggage trailing behind her, Nana walked - or rather flew - across the fields and approached the all too familiar building. Her home.

    Well, her house was actually the second floor of their family's ramen shop. The shop that was everything they had. Without it, she didn't know how her parents would cope. She, for instance, had a life in the city with a job and a small but livable apartment. Her parents, on the other hand, despised the city. They were another story.

    That moment, an elder of the village exited the building to see Nana. "Nana! Is that you?" she gasped, squinting her eyes. Nana nodded with a huge grin on her face, feeling slightly relaxed for the first time since she read the dreadful note. The grandma limped her way over as quickly as she could before embracing Nana's waist as she was quite small compared to the latter.

    "Have you come because you heard the news?"
    
    "So it's true? I was hoping it was just a prank.." Nana trailed off.

    "The whole village is in chaos. Us elderly people have been living here since we were born! It's ridiculous that we have to give up this land because of some stupid deal that the greedy mayor made with a company. Powerplants, eh? Here? Tcht, city people these days."

    "I know. It is ridiculous." Nana weakly smiled at the thought of who was behind all of this. The one person she loved.

    "I think your parents are the ones who are suffering the most from this news. You should definitely go help them. Maybe convince them to move up to Seoul with you. Many of us have agreed to do that but your parents just won't agree. We're all sad to go but there's nothing in our power that we can do, right?" the elder patted Nana's shoulder and continued on her way.
    
    Nana pursed her lips and approached the door to the small but cozy ramen shop. As soon as she pulled open the door, the spicy smell greeted her along with the noisy talks of the customers. In the midst of all the people, Nana spotted her mother serving the people with a smile on her face, as if she was oblivious to the bad news.

    "Hello! Welcome t-- Nana!!" her mother seemed to brighten up even more, if that was even possible.

    "Umma!" she ran over and enveloped her arms around her mother's petite figure.

    "Why did you come! What about your job! What's with your luggage?" she bombarded questions at Nana.

    "Mom. Don't pretend you don't know why I'm here. Your smile almost fooled me." Nana frowned.

    "Honey, could we talk about that another time?" her mother's face fell and Nana immediately felt sorry. She nodded and released her mother to return to her work and she climbed up the stairs to finally go home. Her living room was quiet unlike what was going on downstairs and it felt good. However, reality struck once again and Nana honestly didn't know what to do.

"but there's nothing in our power that we can do, right?"

    "What can I do..." Nana mumbled to herself.

"It's ridiculous that we have to give up this land because of some stupid deal that the greedy mayor made with a company."

    "That's it. I'm going to go visit the mayor and, and..." she paused, her mind blank. "I... I'll just think about that when I get there." she concluded.


 

Hello!! New update for you all~ ^^ I double-updated last time! yay! I didn't leave an A/N cuz that would've totally ruined the moment for Mr. Byun & Jessica lol, but I felt it would be nice to see things in Jessica's view.

Anyways! the reason I suddenly double-updated was because I received good news that night :D yeah, I was kinda bipolar D_O but! the news is that I'M GOING TO KCON!! WOOHOO! Who else is going? As of now, I'm going alone so yeah...

OKAY. IF YOU DIDN'T READ MY A/N TIL' NOW. YOU MUST READ THIS:

So, I was planning on writing a spin-off to this story!! Wheeee~~ I wanted to know how you guys felt about it and if you guys would read it. this time, it's going to be my story/idea instead of someone else's so it would mean so so much to me if you guys would support it :D