Chapter 8

When Zhou Mi woke the next morning and emerged from his bedroom he found Kyuhyun still asleep on his couch. The ice pack that he had been holding to his eye the night before had slipped to the floor and the blanket had slid half way off his body. The shirt Kyuhyun had worn the night before rose slightly, revealing a sliver of stomach and Zhou Mi had to force himself to look away.

He hastily put a pot of water on to boil and cut up some of the fruit he had bought the prior morning. It was a weekday and he knew that Kyuhyun would probably have to work, but there was no way he could go in to the office looking the way he did.

Kyuhyun woke to the hiss of the tea pot with a groan.

"Morning," Zhou Mi called as he carried in a cup of juice and the fruit to Kyuhyun.

"How are you feeling?" Zhou Mi asked as he got a good look at Kyuhyun's eye. The surrounding flesh was every shade of purple and blue, but the cut had already begun to scab.

"Like I got run over by a truck. How bad is it?" Kyuhyun asked, raising a hand to touch his face and wincing at the contact. Zhou Mi just looked at him pitifully.

"That bad, huh?"

Zhou Mi just nodded his confirmation and then looked away.

"Do you want tea?" Zhou Mi asked, standing and trying to change the subject.

"Yes please. Um, where is your bathroom?" Kyuhyun asked, a bit uncomfortable.

Zhou Mi pointed to a door towards the back of his apartment as he poured them two cups of tea.

Kyuhyun scurried off to the indicated room and Zhou Mi brought their tea to the coffee table in front of the couch and took a seat. The bruise on Kyuhyun's face was reminding him of all that had happened the prior night. The way that Kyuhyun had been so nervous and had clung to him as though his life depended on him. Then the way Changmin had demanded that he kiss him. And the actual kiss itself. How Kyuhyun had so willingly molded himself to him, arching up into him and gasping in a room full of people at the contact.

The memory made Zhou Mi's blood boil. He had wanted and he had gotten. But at the same time he knew it wasn't real. And Kyuhyun asking him to kiss his eye before he fell asleep didn't count either because the medicine had already begun to cloud his judgment.

"Thanks, Zhou Mi. For everything last night," Kyuhyun said as he reemerged from the bathroom and sat himself next to Zhou Mi on the couch.

"And thanks for this too," Kyuhyun added as he picked up the cup of tea in front of him and took a sip of the hot liquid.

Zhou Mi didn't say anything. His eyes lingered on the bruise that covered a good portion of the area surrounding Kyuhyun's eye. Kyuhyun caught him staring, and reached a hand out to pat Zhou Mi's knee. Zhou Mi jumped slightly, startled by the touch.

"Don't worry about it. It will be fine in a few days," Kyuhyun said, retracting his hand.

Zhou Mi nodded and sipped at his tea.

"Had he ever hit you before. I mean, when you were dating, did he ever get violent?" Zhou Mi asked. It might have been too much of an invasion of privacy, but Zhou Mi needed to know. The thought of someone hurting Kyuhyun, it made him so angry. Who could even think of hurting someone as kind as Kyuhyun?

"No, he didn't," Kyuhyun shook his head and set his cup down, picking up a piece of fruit and popping it in his mouth, chewing thoughtfully. "He always had a bit of a temper, especially when we fought. But he never hit me. His rage usually went into breaking things. One time he punched a hole in my wall. I guess I should have gotten out of that relationship sooner, but I think I was so desperate for someone to love me I stayed longer than I should have."

"Good," Zhou Mi hummed. "Good."

Kyuhyun snorted and then Zhou Mi realized what his response sounded like.

"I mean, not good that he was violent or that he hit you! But, good that he never hit you before!"

Zhou Mi's blabbering had Kyuhyun laughing, and then wincing as his smile made the bruised muscles around his eye move. This had Zhou Mi laughing as well.

"Well, I think I should go home. I obviously can't go into work looking like this, but I at least can get some things done from my office in my house," Kyuhyun stood, making a move to clean up his empty tea cup but Zhou Mi snatched it out of his hand.

"And how do you think you're getting home? You obviously can't drive. You probably can't even see out of your eye very well. And I don't think you would want to ride the train looking like this," Zhou Mi argued as he cleaned up the dishes from their breakfast, taking them to the kitchen.

"Hum, guess that would be a problem. I should be fine driving though, there's not much traffic at this hour and I don't live very far away," Kyuhyun argued, grabbing his keys and wallet.

Zhou Mi just shook his head at him.

"I don't want you to risk it. I can drive you home, and then take the train back. It's not that big of a deal," Zhou Mi offered and Kyuhyun looked at him as if he had just set his world on fire with kindness.

Zhou Mi certainly hadn't expected the large hug he was being pulled into.

"Thank you, Zhou Mi. Thank you so much. I don't know what I did to deserve this amount of kindness from you, but thank you," Kyuhyun rambled and it had Zhou Mi laughing, but he wrapped an arm awkwardly around Kyuhyun's shoulders and patted his back.

"Well, should we go? I can be ready in 5 minutes if you just wait  a little," Zhou Mi said and Kyuhyun pulled away from him, nodding in agreement.

 

The ride to Kyuhyun's apartment was silent except for the directions that Kyuhyun gave him. Zhou Mi shouldn't have been surprised that Kyuhyun lived in a very nice, very posh apartment complex. There was a security guard that, after checking Kyuhyun's ID, let them into the underground parking garage.

"You can come up if you want?" Kyuhyun offered after he noticed Zhou Mi awkwardly shuffling his feet, not sure if he should leave or not.

Zhou Mi simply nodded, and followed Kyuhyun to an elevator that took them up to one of the top floors of the building.

Zhou Mi should have expected Kyuhyun's apartment to be nice. When Kyuhyun opened the door he revealed a space that was easily twice the size of Zhou Mi's tiny place. Off to the right was a sizeable kitchen. Further in a living room that featured huge floor to ceiling windows that overlooked the city could be seen. On the right of the living room was a desk that was fairly cluttered. It was probably the only cluttered area in the entire place. Off to the left Zhou Mi saw an open door that probably led to a bedroom. The entire place was immaculately kept. It was obvious that it's owner didn't spend that much time in the place.

"Do you want something to drink?" Kyuhyun asked as he dropped his wallet and keys on the small table in the entry way and entered into the kitchen.

"Sure, anything's fine," Zhou Mi answered, slipping off his shoes and following Kyuhyun into the place.

Kyuhyun tossed him a bottle of juice and headed towards the living room, motioning that Zhou Mi could sit on one of the two plush couches occupying the large space. Kyuhyun made his way over to his desk and Zhou Mi sat on the couch so that he was facing Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun shuffled some papers around, looking at some things. Zhou Mi let his eyes wander around the apartment. It made him feel ashamed of showing Kyuhyun his own place. His apartment wasn't a dump by any means. It was big enough for him and his things and was functional. That was all that mattered. But in comparison to this place it was like he was living in a hole in the wall.

Zhou Mi then noticed the big TV that was hanging on the wall above Kyuhyun's desk.

"Do you even ever watch TV?" Zhou Mi asked, throwing a glance at the large electronic hanging above Kyuhyun's head.

Kyuhyun looked up and shrugged.

"Not really. Sometimes when I am working I put the news on to keep up with things, but not other than that. Why, are you one of those people who loves to follow dramas and things?" Kyuhyun asked, abandoning his papers and coming over to sit next to Zhou Mi

Zhou Mi snorted.

"Guilty. But I don't like the girly ones, I swear," he retorted. Kyuhyun laughed in return.

"I never said you did," he paused, fishing a remove out of a drawer of the coffee table in front of them. "Did you want to watch something?"

Zhou Mi nodded and took the remote that Kyuhyun was offering him and turned the TV on. He changed to the channel that he normally watched dramas on at this time of day and smiled when he saw that the one he was following was on. He settled himself into the couch more comfortably.

To his surprise, Kyuhyun sat and watched the drama with him. He had thought for sure that Kyuhyun would immediately go to work and send him on his merry way. But instead he was now sitting next to him, staring up at the screen as though he was completely lost in the fictional universe. It made Zhou Mi laugh inside to see this. Despite the hard working, cold persona that Kyuhyun gave off at first glance, he was actually a normal person underneath it all.

Zhou Mi let his head fall back against the comfortable couch and closed his eyes. The Korean words whizzed by him as his brain fuzzed out and soon he was fast asleep.

 

When Zhou Mi woke up it was obviously much later. The TV was still , but it was playing some kind of music show now instead of the drama they had been watching. Kyuhyun was gone from beside him too, but a quick glance around the room found him hard at work at his desk.

Zhou Mi groaned as he stretched, a few cracks coming from his back. Kyuhyun glanced up at the noise.

"Sleeping beauty finally awakes," Kyuhyun taunted him with a smile.

"I didn't really mean to fall asleep. How long was I out for?" Zhou Mi asked, fishing for his phone in his pocket.

"I don't know, about two hours?" Kyuhyun answered, looking back down at the paper he had been working on.

"Two hours!" Zhou Mi's eyes got wide as he looked at the time on his phone. "It's almost 5! I have a-a" Zhou Mi stumbled.

"Date?" Kyuhyun finished for him.

Close enough.

"Yes, I have to meet him at 6. I'm sorry Kyuhyun, I really need to go. Thank you for this, just thank you," Zhou Mi spat out as he was quickly on the move towards the door and shoving his feet in his shoes.

Kyuhyun had followed him to the door.

"The nearest train station is 5 minutes from here. Go down to the lobby and when you exit turn right and keep walking. It's the same line that stops by your place," Kyuhyun instructed and Zhou Mi nodded as he checked to make sure he had everything. Phone, wallet, house key. Good.

"Well, see you," Zhou Mi said as he back out the door.

"Yes, see you," Kyuhyun replied as he nodded and Zhou Mi let himself out.

There was something awkward in their goodbye. Something that said they both wanted more. And maybe there would have been more, a hug or something, but Zhou Mi had a job to get too and he was sure Kyuhyun had plenty to do as well.

So Zhou Mi made his way to the train, following Kyuhyun's directions, and tried to mentally prepare himself for the meeting he had that night. But thoughts of Kyuhyun clouded his mind. Thoughts of the kiss last night, of Kyuhyun calling him Mi after he brought him back to his place, and thoughts of Kyuhyun's face just now as he left. If Zhou Mi wasn't so paranoid, he might have realized that the look on Kyuhyun's face was trying to tell him that he hadn't wanted him to leave.