Chapter 4

Things were getting a little ridiculous inside Zhou Mi's head. It was like Kyuhyun had imbedded himself there, never letting him think of anything else.

When he was working, he compared every client to the way that Kyuhyun had behaved. Sometimes he would even look up from his plate and see Kyuhyun's face smiling back at him. Every date he had that didn't want to talk made it feel dreadfully silent, as though there was a voice missing and he found himself failing to try and fill it.

And when he wasn't working, the thoughts were even worse. No matter how he tried to distract himself, Kyuhyun always weaseled his way into his head. Not even his favorite book could absorb his conscious thoughts deep enough to dissuade his invading subconscious mind.

Who was Kyuhyun? What was Kyuhyun? There was clearly so much more to the man behind the noisy chatter and friendly smile. Not to mention how strange his reason behind needing his help seemed to be. There couldn't have been a prior relationship between him and that girl, could there? They had been too calm, too unemotional. Any girl who found out her boyfriend was cheating on her with another man would be hysterical. It was exactly what he had observed for however long he had been doing this. But Kyuhyun threw off his pattern. He simply didn't know what to do anymore.

The thought had been inkling at the back of his mind for a few days now. He shouldn't do it, he knew that. It was stupid and pathetic and he was pining after him. The worst part was that he recognized exactly what he was doing. But he couldn't live like this. He couldn't keep going around unable to think about anything else. It was making him sick, and he needed to fix it–soon.

He wasn't thinking while he dialed the familiar number.

"Well, look, the prince is calling!" Heechul barked from the other end. Zhou Mi couldn't even bother to snicker at the snide remark. His hands were shaking and his heart was beating loud against his chest. It was dumb why he was calling and he knew it. And Heechul was going to mock him forever for it.

"This is so stupid..." Zhou Mi mumbled but Heechul still heard him.

"What is stupid?" Heechul asked and Zhou Mi cursed himself.

Zhou Mi thought about just hanging up and forgetting about it. But he couldn't do that because Heechul would never let it go. It was better to just get it over with.

"Who is Cho Kyuhyun?" he asked, almost bitterly as he was filled with remorse as the words spilled from him.

On the other end Heechul laughed, understanding exactly what Zhou Mi was asking him.

"He's an old friend and a total pain in the ," Heechul quickly replied. Inside, Zhou Mi groaned in frustration. That wasn't information that would be useful in erasing his thoughts of the man.

"Heechul..."

"Look, Zhou Mi, if you want to know who Kyuhyun is then why don't you do the leg work and find out for yourself?" Heechul suggested, his tone suddenly serious.

Zhou Mi blanked, staring at the white wall of his apartment as though somebody had just dropped a bomb on his world.

"Actually, you kind of have to call him. He left me a message the other day saying that he required your, um, services again," Heechul said before Zhou Mi had a chance to really gather any of his thoughts.

"Um, okay?"

"Just look at it this way. Another date with him should give you a chance to get to know who Cho Kyuhyun really is!" Heechul mocked.

Dates. When was the last time that Zhou Mi had been on an actual date? He honestly couldn't remember off the top of his head and he didn't want to have to think about it too much.

"Well, good luck and Zhou Mi," Heechul paused.

"Yeah?"

"Have fun."

For once Heechul hadn't gone off on a tangent of some sorts. It was the most serious that Zhou Mi had ever seen the man, and if that had anything to do with the subject of the matter than it meant that Heechul really did think well of Kyuhyun. He would just never say something so ludicrous flat out.

Zhou Mi figured that it was best not to waste any time in calling Kyuhyun. Besides, if he waited he would probably chicken out and now that he had a pretense for calling him, he felt slightly less idiotic.

That didn't mean his heart didn't skip a beat when he heard Kyuhyun answer the phone, though.

"Cho Kyuhyun, what can I do for you?"

The extremely formal, business tone put Zhou Mi off a little bit. He chanced a glance at the clock on the wall and realized it was the middle of the day during the week. Kyuhyun was probably at work. Zhou Mi realized he didn't even know what he did for a living, though it was probably in his file.

"Um, hi, Kyuhyun. This is Zhou Mi! Heechul had called and told me that you had contacted him again," Zhou Mi stumbled over his words. They came out clumsy, falling one over the other and probably not making much sense.

"Oh, Zhou Mi! I did. I did. Listen, I really can't talk about this at work, would you mind if I called you after I left? You don't work tonight, do you?" Kyuhyun asked, his tone immediately becoming more casual and welcoming.

The way that Kyuhyun had so calmly put the question made Zhou Mi scoff. Did he work tonight? Such a pleasant way of asking if he had a fake date. Most people he knew didn't have the class to try and disguise their surprise or disgust at what Zhou Mi did for a living.

"Yeah, that's fine," Zhou Mi answered, trying to keep his voice from shaking. Kyuhyun was going to call him. Yet another thing that never happened before.

"Alright, I'll talk to you later then!" Kyuhyun said and after Zhou Mi muttered a small goodbye hung up the phone.

Zhou Mi let out a sigh of relief as he heard the line click dead. He had done it without making a complete fool of himself. He wondered if Kyuhyun knew that he had been nervous. It was ridiculous. He was a professional. He wasn't supposed to get nervous. Yet, here he was, curiously eyeing the stack of client's files that sat on the edge of his desk. Kyuhyun's was in there somewhere. It held all kinds of information about him: where he worked, his hobbies, what is family was like. It was all information that any good boyfriend would know about their lover, at least on the surface level. It was information that was supposed to help him do his job better, but Zhou Mi hardly ever even glanced at it. Usually girlfriends were too enraged and upset to really question whether the relationship was legitimate.

But now Zhou Mi found himself itching to look at Kyuhyun's file. He wanted to find out if he had any brothers or sisters, to find out where he worked. It was almost creepy, and he couldn't do it. He vowed that when he took Kyuhyun out for their 'date' he would find out those things for himself. He figured all he had to do was ask, right? Kyuhyun had seemed like a pretty open guy. Yeah, all he had to do was ask.