Chapter 7

Kyuhyun was jittery. That was Zhou Mi's first observation when he set foot into the restaurant they met at frequently and saw Kyuhyun waiting in his usual corner. His arms were crossed and his foot tapped while his eyes darted all over the place.

Instead of the usual warm smile and friendly shoulder squeeze that greeted him the other times, all he got was a half formed smirk and a head nod.

His suspicion that something was up last night on the phone was definitely true.

They didn't say a word as they followed the hostess to their table and they sat in silence as they looked over the familiar menu. While they didn't always talk on previous dates, the silence was never awkward. But this silence hung between them like a velvet curtain. Yet Zhou Mi couldn't bring up the nerve to break it. He had learned a lot about Kyuhyun over the past month or so and one of the things he realized was that Kyuhyun was not a man to be bothered when he was upset or antsy.

Luckily, the reason for Kyuhyun's odd behavior arrived before their entrees.

And it was in the form of a man.

Kyuhyun's chair screeched unusually loud as he stood, reaching over to haul Zhou Mi to his feet as well. The hand that gripped his was sweaty, and the hold was not for show. Kyuhyun was clinging to Zhou Mi for dear life.

"Kyuhyun, what is this, I thought we had a date?" the man asked, his voice light but forcibly so.

The air around them twisted and Zhou Mi felt uncomfortable. This couldn't' end well, he thought. There was no chance of it.

"I told you, Changmin, I am seeing someone. This is Zhou Mi, my boyfriend," Kyuhyun tried to calmly explain but Zhou Mi could hear the apprehension in his voice. Hear the tad bit of fear that came along with confronting this man.

"You weren't seeing anyone, last time I checked."

Kyuhyun snorted at this.

"Well, I've been seeing Zhou Mi for the past month. He's the best thing that has ever happened to me and I love him," Kyuhyun said with confidence and Zhou Mi's heart did flips in his chest.

It shouldn't affect him. What Kyuhyun was saying was strictly to get rid of this man, this Changmin. It wasn't the truth. But still, the confident air with which he said it with made Zhou Mi want to believe the lie.

"I don't believe you," Changmin said defiantly.

"What?"

"I don't believe you. I want you to prove it."

Kyuhyun stood there with his mouth hanging halfway open.

"You are being ridiculous, Chamgin. What on earth do you mean?"

"Kiss him. Kiss him and I'll believe you. Kiss him, and I'll leave you alone."

Silence fell as the offer stood. Kyuhyun looked at him, tried to read his face. Zhou Mi tried to keep his expressions calm as he felt heat rise to his face. Kyuhyun was going to kiss him, he thought. This might actually be happening. He just needed to let Kyuhyun know that it was okay. A tight squeeze of his hand and a tug to pull him closer was all it took.

Zhou Mi put his free hand under Kyuhyun's chin, tilting it up. He looked into Kyuhyun's eyes for a second. They were dark and nervous. But he didn't think about this as he leaned down to press his lips to Kyuhyun's. The feeling was wonderful as he pressed them together, nudging against Kyuhyun for more. His other hand released Kyuhyun's to press against his back and the small touch made Kyuhyun arch up into him perfectly, making them both gasp and release each other.

They stood, faces red, unable to look at anything but the floor. Zhou Mi's hand was still pressed against the small of Kyuhyun's back, connecting them. And it was a good thing because the next thing Zhou Mi knew he heard a loud thud and he looked up to see that Changmin's fist had collided squarely with Kyuhyun's left eye, leaving the later stammering backwards as Zhou Mi caught him.

"You , what do you think you are doing!" Zhou Mi shouted and fisted his hands in Changmin's coat collar, ing him back against a wall.

The date may be fake, as may have been that kiss, but the anger that welled up inside of Zhou Mi at what had just happened was as real as it got and he was furious. Because somebody had hurt Kyuhyun.

There were other people now, as Zhou Mi threatened to beat the life out of the man he held. They separated them, and as Zhou Mi continued to struggle he felt a warm hand on his shoulder and he turned into it, only to see Kyuhyun clutching his eye with a thin trail of blood flowing down his check.

"Oh my gosh, Kui Xian!" he called as his hands fumbled over Kyuhyun, helpless of what to do.

"Let's just go," Kyuhyun said, his voice traced with pain.

Zhou Mi nodded and threw some cash on the table to cover their bill. He helped Kyuhyun out of the restaurant and then looked around, unsure of what way to go.

"I can't drive, the keys are in my left pocket," Kyuhyun grumbled and pointed his head in the direction of his pants with a wince. His hands were now tied up, one holding a towel and the other an bag of ice the waitress had given him to his eye.

Zhou Mi gulped and reached into Kyuhyun's pocket to find his keys and only his keys. His caution provided success.

Zhou Mi hastily drove them back to his place. He didn't know where Kyuhyun lived and didn't really want to ask him for directions. Besides, he was hit pretty hard, he probably shouldn't be left alone less he had a concussion. Luckily Zhou Mi had caught him, preventing him from hitting his head on anything.

He helped Kyuhyun upstairs and into his tiny apartment where he sat him on the couch and then rushed to the bathroom to fetch a first aid kit. When he returned he found Kyuhyun lying down, his feet hanging off the end.

"Let me see," he muttered as he slowly removed the towel and ice. What was before him was not a pretty site. Kyuhyun had a fairly nasty cut beneath his eye, and the surrounding area was already swollen and turning different shades of purple.

Kyuhyun must have seen his grimace.

"That bad, huh?"

Zhou Mi could only nod.

"I'm sure I've had worse, it's not my first, you know. Most kids in school aren't huge fans of the spoiled rich boy," Kyuhyun rambled and Zhou Mi wondered how he could have enough presence of mind to tell him a story.

He slowly dabbed at the cut with an antiseptic wipe, trying to clean it up a bit. Kyuhyun just winced as he doctored him up, applying ointment and then a bandage. When he was done he gave him a few pain killers and Kyuhyun seemed set to fall asleep, his eyes already closed and his breathing going even.

As Zhou Mi stood to leave after covering Kyuhyun with a blanket a hand around his wrist stopped him.

"Hey, Mi. Those girls, the reason I don't date them...it's because I like men. But I can't tell my mom that, she'd flip."

Zhou Mi stared at him, startled by his confession. It all made sense. Why Kyuhyun was so comfortable pretending to date him. Why he was always so touchy. Why he could so easily call him his boyfriend without any hesitation. And most importantly, why an angry man had shown up tonight and punched him in the face.

Zhou Mi tried to pull away, but Kyuhyun held him there.

"Mi, kiss it and make it better," Kyuhyun said while pointing haphazardly at his eye with his free hand. The pain killers were obviously starting to kick in.

Zhou Mi laughed and bent down to place a gentle kiss right beside Kyuhyun's bruised eye.

"Hmmm. Thanks, Mimi," Kyuhyun mumbled and then released Kyuhyun's hand and rolled slightly onto his side to sleep.

After one last look at him Zhou Mi turned off the lights and headed to his own room for bed. He slept well, knowing that maybe, just maybe his feelings for Kyuhyun might not be so stupid after all.