Ugly Truth

The Unpredictable Truth

Adele - Set Fire To The Rain

Oh, poop.


“____!” You heard someone whisper your name, shaking you at the same time.

Waking up completely, you rubbed your eye. Daehyun’s heart fluttered at the sight but he didn’t want to forgive you just yet. He didn’t trust you, he didn’t believe you. He was heartbroken when he found out you lied to him. He wanted to hug you and tell you everything would be okay, but his pride held him back. But part of the reason why he didn’t want to tell you that he would protect you was because he was scared he would fail.

“What?”

“There’s someone coming!”

Your eyes widened as you, too, heard voices. “Excuse me. Have you seen a girl with 6 blonde guys following that looks like this?”

. They even had your pictures. You scrambled up, “Get them up. I’ll grab us a car.”

When you went onto the streets, they panicked but followed your orders nonetheless. When Jongup and Daehyun told them what was happening, they were quick to wake up and followed your tracks.

You stopped a random mini van. It was hard having six people on your back because no other car would fit 6 grown men.

The driver put the window down, “Are you crazy?! What do you need?!”

Sticking your hand inside the car, you unlocked the door and opened it. “Get out. I need the car ahjussi.”

He shook his head with a deep frown. “Close the door.”

Yongguk started shaking you when the men spotted their blonde heads. “There they are! Get them!”

You took your gun out and pointed the barrel at his forehead. “Get. Out.” You emphasized.

When he scrambled off, probably telling security, the boys quickly got in and you zoomed off, not even waiting for them to finish closing the door. “Get down.” Just as you said that, a bullet shot through the glass and thankfully, missed. Yongguk was ducking in the passenger’s seat and everyone else was in the back. You unbuckled your seat belt and made Yongguk lunge over to your seat, “Take the wheel.”

“What?! I can’t!” He yelled, but you ignored him.

The wind blew at your face as tears welled up in your eyes because of the cold. You climbed on the rooftop and dodged the bullets that were aimed for you.

Yongguk was probably going 88 miles per hour but they were still able to catch up. You instructed the scared, blonde boy from above. “Hit the car!”

He did as told and you clutched onto the railings. You turned your head, merely dodging a bullet that wheezed past your cheek and shot endlessly. People screamed and cars crashed, almost blocking your way. You closed your eyes as Yongguk accidentally crashed into a fruit stand, causing the juicy liquid to land on your face. “Sorry!” Yongguk shrieked. Who would’ve thought you would’ve heard the leader of the merciless B.A.P squeal like a girl. You laughed, this was nothing compared to other missions where you took worse hits to the abdomen.

Your laughing faded out when a tough-looking guy jumped on the rooftop, joining you. He wore a sack of arrows and drew his bow. You angled your body ninety degrees as the arrow went past you, not even getting close to you. This shenanigan continued as he was down to his last arrow. Grunting, obviously annoyed that we was losing to a girl, he aimed for the back of Yongguk’s head. “YONGGUK. HIT THE BRAKES!” You hollered.

Yongguk obediently stopped the car, causing the both of you to lose balance and tumble off the car. From your peripheral vision, you saw that Yongguk was about to step out of the car. “Go!” You ordered.

Without a choice, he drove away. The boys in the back looked back at you, feeling bad. Guilt was rising up in them, they just ditched the girl who prevented them from dying for the past days. “Hyung! We have to get her back!”

Yongguk shook his head, looking at the cracked rear view mirror. The side mirrors were broken off sometime before when he bumped cars. “We can’t. ____ did this for us, she’ll come back. I know she will.” He said as he thought back to everything you told him yesterday. *Si Yeon-sshi. Wherever you are in heaven, get ____ out alive. I need her... We need her.* Yongguk kept driving and driving, never looking back. No one knew what he was thinking about except for himself. B.A.P didn’t understand why their leader understood you so well either.

 

“You’re surrounded, agent. You have nowhere to go.”

The way he called you ‘agent’ reminded you of what happened four years ago. You put your hands up and didn’t stand up from your sitting position. When you saw the van get far enough, you gave up fighting the guy. There was no way you could outrun a car anyways. You were fast, but not that fast.

You glanced around as nine guards surrounded you. They walked you to a place, not even bothering to tie your hands, which was a big mistake. You could easily escape from here, whether it was nine guards or nineteen. Your nose subconsciously scrunched up as a smell of rubbish filled the air. “It smells like crap.” You commented. The guards couldn’t help but to secretly agree with you. And they had to work here.

When you got a good ‘tour’ of the place, you decided that it was time for you to bolt.

Tripping all the guards by their feet, you ran back to the entrance. However, you found the gate to be locked. Looking around quickly, you saw a door but it didn’t budge. Stepping back, you kicked open the door and groaned when you realized it led to a sewer.

You were about to step out and find another way but the nine fools were already up on their feet. With no choice left, you slid down and fell into the gooey liquid. Swimming away in disgust, you eventually got out. You knew that they were too much of a wimp to jump in the sewer.

You didn’t know how but your phone was still working, even after the dirt water. That was when you realized it was a specialized hand phone. It was waterproof and took a while to smash into pieces if you tried breaking it. You would have to thank your boss for giving you that.

You called Yongguk.

He had his phone in one hand and the wheel in the other. He had his phone, waiting for you to contact him. You suggested that they turned off their phones when they weren’t using it, to save batteries for emergencies.

You texted a place to Yongguk and he had Youngjae read the directions to him.

 

Bang Jaesul twirled the ring around his index finger, smacking the guard right across the face. “You scums! You can’t even catch a puny, weak girl. How pathetic!” He plumped down on his seat and continued twirling the skull-designed ring. There was one habit that Jaesul did not too often, and that was twirling his heavy ring. But, he only twirled it when he was scared.

Surprisingly, you got there not long after B.A.P. You ran and ran, ignoring the burning sensation in your lungs.

“Are you okay?!” Yongguk was the only one who was kind enough to ask. To be honest, the others were worried, too, but they didn’t want you to know they actually cared.

Once he got close enough, he stopped in his tracks as he smelled an awful stench.

“I’m fine.” You waved your hands. “Don’t ask.” You added when you saw his face turn into disgust.

“There’s this underground place that I found back when I had an assignment back then. It was a temporary hideout, we can go there.”

Sure enough, there was an underground hideout. It wasn’t noticeable unless you actually looked for it. It was dark and the entrance was covered by a bunch of plants.

Inside, wasn’t that much. There was a single mattress with the springs out, the bathroom mirror was cracked, there was stuffy air, the bathroom had no door, and the only sign of light was the dim bulb in the bathroom. It wasn’t much, but it was something.

“Why do you smell like that?” Yongguk pushed you into the bathroom.

“They led me to a place that was connected to a sewer. I jumped in it, that was the only way I could escape.” You wrinkled your nose when he picked a piece of cheese out of your hair. “I needed them to take me. It was the only way to find out where they were. Who would’ve thought they were staying in a sewerage? Urgh. I need a shower.”

“Oh! Speaking of showers, I got some clothes for us. You can change into those and we can wash the ones you’re wearing now.”

You stared at the folded clothes in his hands as he took them out of a black bag. You stared at him in wonder, “How’d you afford them? None of us have money.”

He looked down in guilt. “I stole them.” He whispered.

You nodded, totally understanding why he did so. “Don’t feel bad. We need it. I don’t care that you took it, it was appropriate. Thanks Guk... You don’t mind me calling you that, right?”

He gave you a tender smile. “It’s fine.”

“Hyung.”

Zelo glared at you and pulled his hyung back. Before Zelo could pull him away, you stopped him and whispered so that only Yongguk could hear, “Don’t tell them about my past.”

Yongguk furrowed his eyebrows, “Why not?”

“Just... don’t. It doesn’t matter what they think about me.”

Daehyun crossed his arms and rolled his eyes. He glared at you. You had to admit, it hurt that time. “Never trust a pretty girl with an ugly secret.” He said, referring to you.

His words stung.

“Yah Jung Daehyun.” Yongguk warned, “Be careful with your words, because once they’ve been said, they can be forgiven; not forgotten.”

“I think you’re telling that to the wrong person, hyung.” Himchan spitefully said, giving you a hard look. You flinched, none of the trusted you anymore. You weren’t even sure if Yongguk did, even though he was talking to you.

You sighed, “I need you guys to trust me for this to work. You have to trust me.”

“Like we trusted that you were a normal girl?” That came from Daehyun, and it hurt.

You frowned, you’ve had enough of that nonsense. “Okay, fine. I did lie to you about that. But I had a perfectly decent reason to. Everyone has their own secrets! You act like it’s a crime for me to have a secret. Must I tell you everything that happens in my life?! I don’t think that’s necessary. You know what? I know you have a secret, too. But I’m not interrogating your life so I don’t know why you’re questioning me.”

And with that, you turned around and turned the water on, closing the drapes.

With the water running, you probably couldn’t hear their conversation. The leader frowned himself, disappointed at s’ acts.

“Yah.” He said sternly, grabbing their attention. “Don’t you think that was too much?”

“Hyung, she lied to us first! Why are you siding with her?” Zelo exaggerated.

“I’m not siding with her because I like her better.” Yongguk growled and gritted his teeth. “Have you ever thought of hearing her side of the story? Did you ever think that she wasn’t at fault here?” Yongguk asked. The questions didn’t even come across their minds. Yongguk was right, they should hear your side of the story. Well too bad they didn’t have the guts to ask, it was too embarrassing to ask after they all said those snarky comments.

“Do... you know what happened?”

Yongguk uneasily glanced at the bathroom, deciding if he should fill them in or not. From before, he saw that the boys were giving you a hard time and decided to make it easier for you. For your sake, he decided to.

They huddled together and listened carefully as Yongguk told them everything. “Wow... that was the unpredictable truth...”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

You stopped drying your hair and looked at Daehyun. What on Earth was he talking about? “What?”

“Yongguk told us everything, no need to hide it anymore.”

You pursed your lips together. “Okay, so he told you. What’s your point?”

Daehyun shifted uncomfortably. He wasn’t used to your cold behavior directed to him. “I just want to say that I’m-“

“No need. Our relationship was nothing but mere acquaintances. I don’t need an explanation. I hope we work well together.” Your poker face scared him.

He knew you were mad but he didn’t know why you had to go this far. It was like... you gave up on him. On your relationship.

“There will be a time when you want to stay away from me, trust me.” You said without looking at him.

“And there will be a time where you would need me the most and ask me to stay.” He replied back.

You visibly stiffened. Yongguk watched the both of your behavior carefully. Before he would do something about it, he wanted to see this little interaction. It seemed as if you wanted to go to Daehyun but something was holding you back. And Yongguk knew exactly what it was.

You turned your head to the side, “You don’t know anything about me, Daehyun. Everything was a lie, wasn’t it? It’s best if you stay away from me.”

When you started to walked away, Daehyun wanted to hug you from behind but decided against it. He didn’t care about his pride anymore. It was your words that made him hesitate. *I probably deserved it.* He wanted to scream, he wanted to bang his head on the wall, he wanted to cry and wail, he wanted you. His heart ached.

He started his steps towards you but you walked even further.

“I think it’s time we do something about your hair.”

“What do you mean?”

You held out some colorful hair dye. Their eyes widened and they looked at each other.

----

You turned the faucet on, washing off all the loose dye in Daehyun’s hair. Your fingers raked through his hair. You didn’t know it but it drove him crazy. His heart was pounding against his chest and his heartbeat accelerated.

He searched your face as you avoided meeting eyes with him. He wanted to do something about it, and this was the perfect moment.

He grasped your wrist, smiling when you finally made eye contact with him. He hoped what he was about to do was right and could make things better.

Before you could even attempt to break away, he tilted your chin towards him and tenderly kissed you full on the lips.

Your eyes subconsciously closed, you were being reeled in. You dropped the brush and rested your hands on his broad chest.

Daehyun slowly pulled away, his eyes boring into yours. After that kiss, he knew you still had feelings for him.

“We can’t Daehyun.” You whispered. You eyes lost the dead spirit and the familiar warmness returned. Oh, how Daehyun missed that.

“My boss will find out.”

Daehyun slumped. Oh yeah, that’s right, you were a master assassin.

“But,” his eyes brightened when that one word came out of you mouth, “It’s worth a chance.”

“What will your boss do?”

You sighed and shrugged. “Look, I know it’s risky. But I’m not going to stop and turn back now. I’ve gone too far to give up on us, not when I feel like we actually have a chance.” You looked at him, “But what about you? Do you think my boss will do something to you?”

“I understand what I’m getting myself into, ____. But I’m willing to risk my life and choose danger over safety for you.”

You bit back a smile. He said the sweetest words. “Loving you was a mistake, so was meeting you. But I’m glad I made that mistake.” You both said in unison.

 

You stepped back and looked at them, holding your thumbs out. Clapping your hands together, you complimented your own work, “It came out really good.”

“But noona,” Zelo started calling you ‘noona’ again, after finding out the ugly truth. “Why did you pick such a feminine color for me?”

Zelo tugged at his pink hair and crinkled his nose. You meekly laughed and rubbed the back of your neck, “Your hair was actually supposed to be White. Like, bright white. But something went wrong and turned pink instead. My bad~”

“Speaking of colors, why’d you choose such crazy colors? Isn’t it just as eye catching as 6 blonde heads?”

You wagged your finer, “I trimmed your hair and besides, gangs always have colorful hair styles.” They nodded in understanding.

“So how long are we staying here?”

“Only tonight. It’s dangerous staying in one place for too long.” You pointed out.

Himchan groaned, “Do we have to take shifts again? I have eye bags now!” He pointed at the dark circles, smoothing his face.

You sighed, you felt bad. It was your job to take care of them. You shook your head,” No, it’s okay. I’ll stay up. You guys need sleep.”

Daehyun frowned, he didn’t want his girlfriend to stay up just because his pabo hyung was being whiny. “Yah hyung. You didn’t even apologize to her and now you’re complaining about taking a night shift?”

“W-Well...umm...” He stuttered.

You stopped him, “It’s alright. No need to apologize.”

Himchan softened. “Daehyun’s right, I’m sorry for judging you without listening to your side. I hope our friendship doesn’t change though.” He gave you a soft smile and you smiled in return.

“Us, too.” The boys said in unison.

“Let’s get some sleep, guys.”

Daehyun immediately wrapped his arms around your waist, pulling you onto the mattress with him. “Just stay until I fall asleep.”

Your body relaxed and you listened to his heartbeat.

Snuggling even more into his embrace, you felt his paced breath on your ear. His breath tickled the side of your face.

Moments later, you waved your hands in front of his face, making sure he was asleep. Almost reluctantly, you tumbled out of his arms and let B.A.P sleep.

 

In the middle of the night, Daehyun woke up. He noticed his empty arms and looked around.

You stifled a yawn and he softened. Very quietly, he got out of bed and wrapped his arms around your shoulders. He sat behind you and let your head rest on his chest. Daehyun put his chin on top of your head, savoring the moment. Your eyebrows furrowed when you felt him slightly trembling. “Oppa, wae? Why are you shaking?”

Daehyun sighed, his grip subconsciously starting to tighten. It was like if he let go, you would disappear from his arms, and for good. “I’m just... scared.” He admitted, “I don’t know if I’m strong enough to protect you, ____.”

You turned around and sat on his lap, wrapping your arms around his neck. “You don’t need to.”

You could tell he was looking down on himself, “You’re perfect the way you are.”

He grinned. *You say the most nicest things. I’m so glad you’re mine.*

Both of your eyes closed and the gap between you gradually closed.

-----

At the crack of dawn, you began to wake them up. “We gotta get going. We already stayed over night.” You took the safety cover off and double-checked for bullets.

“I’ll stand guard outside. Make sure you guys don’t leave anything.”

Since they were half-asleep, they didn’t even bother to check. But before they left, they rinsed their face with water and got ready for another hectic day.

“You guys didn’t leave anything, right?”

Himchan yawned, totally ignoring your question. You sighed, guess you would have to trust them.

You went up to an ahjumma. “Excuse me. Did you see a few men in suits?” You kindly asked.

“Men in suits? I didn’t see any.”

“Kamsamnida.” You bowed.

Once you were out of her sight, you ran towards B.A.P. “Run.”

They were getting used to running and ran without hesitation. Their stamina was getting stronger and they didn’t even know it. When you stopped running, you were surprised they weren’t gasping for air.

“that ahjumma was working for them. I remember her from my missions when I was younger. She was desperately in need of money for her daughter. From what I know, her daughter’s in the hospital and she still needs money to provide the equipment. She’s putting her and her own daughter’s in danger... She’s gonna get killed.”

B.A.P guffawed at your intelligence. How you knew that by seeing that ahjumma twice? They would never know.

They jumped when they head a scream, followed by a gunshot. You sighed, “See?”

“Wait. So how come you asked her if you knew she was working for them?”

“I wanted them to know.”

Confusion their faces, “Why?”

“It’s time for a little fun.”