04

Back to The Past

 

When school ended, I walked Jieun to the school gate with Zelo. Jieun told me to accompany her because she’s not used to their company alone. I agreed since I was in a pretty interesting conversation with Zelo about skateboards. I was telling him about how my brother lost his skateboard, leaving it somewhere, forgetting all about it. Zelo was shocked and was cursing my brother upside down for being so clumsy.

“If he didn’t want it, he could always give it to me! At least someone here would appreciate it,” beaming to himself. It’s true he would because he would always be riding his skateboard to school. Even though my brother used to have a skateboard, I never want to learn how to skate. I just didn’t think it was necessary to learn.

I was very happy chatting with Zelo and felt bad that Jieun was not included in this conversation so I tried pulling her in but she was being shy. I can’t blame her though because that was her nature.

“Jieun noona, do you like cherry tomatoes?” That was so random but at least Zelo tried. I smiled at how thoughtful he was. It’d be great to have him as a brother.

“Ah… I eat them but I don’t always eat them. So I guess I kinda like them,” she replied. At least this conversation is going somewhere. That’s good for them.

“Oh, really? I like them too! I love them actually! I’d always beg Daehyun hyung to buy for me and he’d always buy for me,” What? Daehyun actually has this nice side to him?

“Oh! Wah, Daehyun oppa is so nice!” Jieun exclaimed, a little too excited.

“Of course, I’m nice. Only someone thinks I’m bad. I don’t even know why,” someone just cut off our conversation. Who else if it’s not Daehyun. I rolled my eyes. What he said was obviously directed at me.

“Hello Minyoung and Jieun-shi,” Yongguk oppa greeted us.

“Ah, since you guys are here, I’m going off already. Don’t wanna be late,” I said as I waved them goodbye. I didn’t want to stay longer there, being so close to Jung Daehyun. I think if I were to stay any longer, we’d probably be arguing non-stop and I didn’t want to steal Jieun’s spotlight. What would she think of me?

The moment I reached home, I quickly did my homework and took a very very short nap, or better known as a power nap. Soon the time came and I needed to get ready for work. I had to work till closing time today which is at 10PM. Work starts in an hour. I have about half an hour to prepare myself and another half to get there. Not that it’ll take me long but if I don’t give myself time, I’d probably be late.

Work was the same but around half past 6, the bell chimed meaning there’s customer. Oh, what am I saying? The bell always ring when someone opens the door, customer or not. Today, there weren’t that many people so my colleague went to attend to the people who just came in. I was busy clearing up tables so I didn’t see who walked in.

Once at the back, after their dishes were ready to be served, I was told to bring them to the table. I’m not sure which table but when I came out from the back, I saw BAP and Jieun. Jieun was already waving at me and then there’s Zelo. “Noonaaaaaaaaaaaaa!” Someone please just shut that kid up. I don’t care if he’s cute or not, but he really needs to stop doing that especially here, my workplace. I went over to them and placed the dishes on their table.

“What are you guys doing here?” I asked them, clearly surprised to see them here.

“Why? Can’t we be here?” Jongup asked, slightly disappointed seeing my reaction.

“No no. That’s not what I meant. Just shocked to see you guys here, that’s all.”

“Oh, Daehyun hyung suggested this place since the noraebang isn’t far from here,” Youngjae explained.

I just nodded and then went off to get the rest of their dishes. While letting them enjoy the food, I went to clear off other tables. Close to 8, they decided to leave. Thank goodness. Was asking myself when they’re ever gonna leave. I don’t mean it in a bad way it’s just that, I’m kind of embarrassed and my manager doesn’t look too happy seeing me keep on talking to them. I couldn’t just ignore my friends, can I?

“Bye noona, we’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Bye Minyoung!”

“Bye.”

Once everyone said their goodbyes except for… Daehyun, duh. What can we expect of him? They left after paying.

Around half past 9, I decided to clear up whatever that’s left. It was only me and my colleague. We had to prepare for closing. A quarter to 10, the bell chimed. Who would actually come at this hour knowing that the restaurant was closing in?

There he was, still in his uniform. What was he doing here? I watched him choose a seat as my colleague went to attend to him. He didn’t want anything so I let him be. Close to 10, he was still there.

“Minyoung, asked that guy to leave already. We have to close in. You’re his friend right. I saw them just now. Help me,” my colleague asked of me. Oh dear, why me.

I walked over him, carefully trying not to trip myself or I’d be making a fool of myself in front of someone whom I want to be last to know of such incident.

“Hello, Daehyun-shi, please leave. We need to close in,” I felt like puking speaking to him in such a tone. But right now, he’s the customer and I’m just a waitress.

He looked at me, then looked back down. What is he doing?

“I’ll leave only if you let me walk you home.”

“Excuse me?”

“I don’t want to repeat myself. Whatever, I don’t care. I’ll wait for you so that I can walk you home. I have something to talk to you about,” with that, he stood up and left, waiting outside for me.

A quarter past 10, I saw him waiting in the cold night. Sigh. What has gotten into him, waiting for me all? I went over to him and tapped his shoulder to let him know of my presence.

“Yah, what took you so long? It’s so cold out here. Gosh, ah whatever. Come on,” he took my hand and led me to another café which opens 24 hour.

He ordered something warm for himself and me. Wow, that was thoughtful of him.

“Are my eyes betraying me? Jung Daehyun is buying me a drink. Wow,” I said, rather sarcastically.

“Shut up and just drink. I’m trying to be nice here so please do appreciate it while I still am,” he retorted.

I took a sip of my hot chocolate and it feels damn good. Something warm for a cold weather.

“So, you must have heard about me and Jieun right?” Why the question?

I nodded my head, still savouring my drink.

“What do you think about it?” What? I almost choked on my drink. Why is he asking for my opinion?

“I don’t know. What do you think about it?”

“What kind of a girl are you? I asked you a question, and you asked me back the same question?” he scoffed, dissatisfied with my answer.

“I’m not the one getting married. So why don’t you tell me?” I literally rolled my eyes at him. What an idiot.

There was a moment of silence before he spoke up.

“Well… I didn’t like the idea. And me getting close to Jieun, it was all my dad’s idea. I just had to go ahead with the plan which I didn’t like at all. I’m not saying that Jieun is not nice. She is. After today, I thought she was a nice girl but I couldn’t see her as someone I’d love,” wow, that was so honest of him. But why is he telling me?

“I’m telling you because you’re her friend,” did he just read my mind?

“And also, there’s someone else that I like,” I paused at whatever I was doing, trying to process what he just said. No way, Daehyun the cocky guy likes someone?

“And you know that person,” I looked up only to be greeted by his big round chocolate eyes.

“And that person is you,” I almost could see the sincerity from his eyes.

I almost chocked on my drink.. What just happened? He quickly stood up and went behind me, patting me from the back.

“Yah, are you okay?” I nodded my head, waving him off.

 “Come, let me send you home. It’s not good to let a girl walk home alone this time. I wonder how you do it on the rest of the days where you end late. After you.”

I led the way. It wasn’t far actually, just a walking distance. Once we’ve reached in front of my house, he stopped me.

“What I said earlier, I meant it. I really do like you. I know I’m a very annoying person and very bad right now because I’m supposed to be married to your best friend but I like you instead. I’m not going to say sorry or asking for you to like me back but I just wanted to let you know because you’re Jieun’s best friend. I hope you’d at least get the whole idea why I treated Jieun that way. I didn’t want to lead a girl on. What kind of guy would I be?”

“What kind of guy would you be? Really? Then you should’ve told Jieun yourself. Why tell me all these? Do it like a real man,” I snapped at him. I was furious at how he’s telling me all these. If Jieun were to find out the truth, she’d be so heartbroken about it.

“Are you trying to take me on a guilt trip? Knowing that Jieun has feelings for you, which is so obvious to any human being, but you’re having feelings for me? I’m going to pretend this conversation never happened.” With that, I left him in front of my house porch. I held my chest so tightly like as though it was going to burst. Why am I feeling this way? I did the right thing, right?

________________________________________________________________________________

A 3AM write-up. I don't know what I was writing but I just kept going on. I hope it makes sense.

Okay bye!