03

Back to The Past

I covered my mouth with my free hand, realising my mistake. What was I thinking to be blurting out unnecessary comments? That did it because I got both Jieun’s and Daehyun’s attention as their eyes looked straight right back at me. Just as shocked as I was. Maybe even for the same reason or maybe just seeing me there, totally unexpected. They probably would be thinking of the same thing right now.

I quickly apologised and excused myself. Thinking back, why did I even let it affect me? I mean, why that kind of reaction? That was so not me. I don’t really care. Okay, maybe a little because he’s annoying and that he and my best friend are going to be in a close relationship from now on. Things are definitely going to be awkward for me.

Daehyun’s POV

What was she doing here? Don’t tell me she works here? I looked at Jieun, as if answering my question, she nods her head. Yeah, how can I be so stupid? She was clearly wearing her work’s uniform. Why am I speaking of the obvious? Why why why? And wait, what did this person mean when he said we’re gonna be a family? No, don’t tell me…

Firstly, I am too young for this. And I would probably think that Jieun is very very young for this too. She’s even a year younger than me! If I feel that I’m too young for taking such a heavy responsibility, what about her?

“What are you talking about Dad?” I stood up, furious about this decision made without asking for my opinion. “Don’t I get a say in this?”

“Now Jung Daehyun, be aware of your manners. We have guests here. Give them your respect. You don’t have to be raising your voice over such trivial matter, especially over dinner.”

Did I hear things wrongly? Did my dad just describe this matter as something trivial? As in, likeHow things that is of low significance? Did he just define the term marriage as something trivial? Did my dad just hit his head on the wall or something this morning? What kind of nonsense is he talking about? Okay yes, maybe he’s just tired. Yes, tire, tired from all his late-nights working. Yes, that’s it. I tried calming myself as I sat back down.

“We know that the both of you are pretty young and still schooling. Or as a matter of fact, Jieun just started her high school. We heard that the both of you go to the same school and we feel that this gives us the advantage that you guys can get close and get to know each other more,” Mr Lee started explaining.

This old man is just the same as my dad. So, they’re being serious? Don’t tell me this is about some family business sh*t? Yeah, like in dramas, using their own children for the sake of saving their company and what nots. What kind of sorcery is this?

I couldn’t take it as I stood up, apologised for my rude behaviour and excused myself out. The next thing that happened totally shocked me as I heard Jieun calling out my name. I can’t believe that of all people, it has got to be Minyoung’s friend.

I fastened my pace not wanting anyone to follow me. I can’t bear to talk about my feelings to anyone that I barely know. That is not important right now. I need to clear my head because who in the right mind would want to get married at this very young age. I am not going to get married today, tomorrow or by the end of this year. I don’t care. And it’s not even with someone I love, or in this case, someone I barely know. What is love?

I headed out to Yongguk hyung’s crib knowing the others would probably be there. It’s a Saturday night, we’d always hang out there.

“Yo! Daehyun, what are you doing here? Thought you had dinner or something?” Hyung said the moment he opened the door to let me in.

“It and that’s why I abruptly left the whole dinner and here I am.”

“Oh! Daehyun hyung!” Zelo greeted me the moment he saw me. I had no mood to entertain anyone.

“What happened, bro? Why the face?” Youngjae said the moment he saw me. I grunted and plopped myself on my favourite seat here. Everyone was already gathered around me, ready to listen to my story of my life. I heavily sighed.

“My parents set me up with someone. No, scratch that, they didn’t need to set me up. It’s not even setting me up on a date. It’s more than that, and my dad claimed that it’s such a trivial matter. I have no idea what that old man is thinking. They’ve already picked out a wife for me,” With that said, I could hear a pin dropped as the room grew very very quiet. The others looked at me with their mouth opened so big something bigger than a fly could enter.

“No way…” I mentally thanked Youngjae for breaking that awkward silence.

“With who? Do we know her?” Is this hyung being serious? He didn’t want to ask about me but Himchan hyung is actually asking me about the girl.

“We actually know her.”

“What?! Who?!” Everyone turned to look at me, waiting for what to come, probably having a telepathy path thanking Zelo for asking such question. With this kind of atmosphere, they probably didn’t want to probe further but Zelo being Zelo.

I took a deep breath before saying anything. Seconds passed. Maybe too long that it’s nearing a minute. “Lee Jieun.”

“Minyong noona’s friend?! No way… But she’s pretty though. Right, Jongup hyung?” Well, I don’t care if she’s pretty or not, I don’t even know her. The point is, I don’t even know her.

Your POV

I went back to the customer and was getting ready to serve the next dish when I realised the tension going around in the room. I don’t know what happened but I saw Daehyun not in his seat. He probably left. Being him, stubborn him, what more could he do then just trying to get out of this helpless situation.

I looked at Jieun and she had the most disappointed expression on her face that I had ever seen. I mean, she was all cheerful and happy whenever I see her. Maybe because of the news, maybe that’s why. No wait, she likes Daehyun but why the sad face? Right, Daehyun. He probably said something to cause this very tense atmosphere. He is just being him. I mentally sighed to myself. Wait, why am I thinking so much of this situation? That is so not me.

I went to school like normal on Monday. When I came into class, I saw Jieun already in her seat. I greeted her and she greeted me back with a non-enthusiastically tone. Probably because of Saturday’s event, I thought to myself.

“Hey, you okay?”

She just nods her head. What was I supposed to do?

“I heard what happened, or I saw what happened. We’ll talk during lunch okay?”

“Yeah sure…” trying to put on the biggest smile she could but she didn’t even need to try because I somehow understand how she feels.

Lunch came and we decided to avoid the cafeteria. Words got around so fast that everyone knew of this arranged marriage between Jieun and Daehyun. How? I don’t know. I don’t even want to know. It’s actually scary. I mean, I know BAP probably have their own fans but to be stalking them like as if they have no life, that is scary.

We decided to go to the bleachers where people rarely go to. It was such a hot and sunny day, who would want to spend their lunch there. Okay, except for us as we’re in the middle of some urgent matter. But well, you get the point. We found a shady spot and just sat on the ground not caring about our skirts. The moment we sat down, Jieun just broke down. I wasn’t mentally prepared for it so it took me a while to process what just happened so I just hugged her.

“He probably hates me now Minyoung. He does. You should’ve seen his reaction on that day when my dad spoke about marriage. As much as I disagree with the idea but he strongly disagrees with it. He didn’t even want to try and get to know me,” she said in between her sobs. Man, I pitied her. I mean, it’s not her fault or… Daehyun. Damn, I just had to. He’s innocent too you know.

I didn’t know what to say to her. Furthermore, I didn’t quite understand the situation clearly to be making such remarks especially to her who felt like her heart had been broken to many pieces. I just hugged her, trying to calm her down. I just know she needed someone so I’m just going to be there for her.

The next day was a big change. To my surprise, Jieun was all cheerful, back to her old self. Or maybe a little happier this time. What happened overnight?

“Guess what?! Guess what?!? Daehyun had finally decided to get to know me. He even said it himself! I am so happy right now. I feel like I can die a happy girl knowing that he initiated the whole getting to know each other first. And to think I cried the whole weekend. Maybe it was worth it,” she was whispering to me, but it was more of a like squealing whispering to me. I can understand that. But somehow, I felt my heart just dropped. I smiled back, happy for her too.

Lunch came and she told me that we’re gonna be sitting with the BAP boys. I kind of didn’t want to go ahead but since she insists, saying how I was much closer to them then she was, maybe I could help her. I agreed nonetheless. After all, it’s been awhile since I last met all of them. Coming from someone like me who said that I didn’t want to associate myself with these people. I contradict myself and I hate it very much.

Jieun’s POV

I was excited for having lunch with BAP. I was mostly looking forward to see Daehyun-oppa. But then when lunch came, he didn’t really entertain me well. And all sorts of things just ran through my mind. Maybe he was forced by his dad like how he was forced to be in this position in the first place? Maybe he doesn’t like me? Oh goodness, what did I do wrong? It’s me!

“Yah, Jieun noona. What do you think of hanging out after school today?” Jongup’s question made me snapped out my daze.

Everyone was looking at me. I kind of felt shy now that all eyes were on me.

“Ah, yes?”

“Oh, we were suggesting of places to go hang out after school.”

“Oh right…”

“So, where do you wanna go?”

Everyone was looking at me with full anticipation. Even Daehyun oppa was looking at me. I suddenly felt nervous.

“Noraebang?”

I looked at Minyoung and she gave me this look. What? Did I say something wrong?

“Noraebang… Hmmm. Sounds like a good idea. We haven’t been singing our hearts out lately,” Yongguk oppa said with his deep voice which made me feel intimidated.

“Noona, are you coming?” Zelo asked Minyoung.

“No, sorry I can’t. You guys go ahead.”

Daehyun scoffed. Soft enough for everyone to hear but loud enough for it to go unheard by me.

“Awww… Why? We haven’t hang out together ever before,” Himchan oppa said, slightly pouting. “We need to build a oppa-dongsaeng relationship here.”

“Errr… I have work. I’d love to go but nah, I can’t. Sorry guys.”

“It’d be fun if noona could come though!” Zelo looks so cute especially when he pouts.

I never thought that Minyoung was so well-liked by the BAP. Well, then again, with her brave front that she has, that just gives me the whole idea BAP likes her attitude. Can’t blame her though. I like her I-don’t-care attitude.

Your POV

What? Noraebang? As in like singing? No way. Good thing I had work or I’d be feeling all guilty trying to come up with a lie that would convince them that I couldn’t go for it.

“Leave her be. She can’t go, then that’s good. She’d most probably can’t sing. That’s why,” cocky guy just had to act all smart. He thinks he knows everything.

“Well, excuse me Mr Jung, you can’t be the judge if you have yet to hear me sing. Even if I can sing or not, I’m not trying to impress anyone, especially you. So I don’t care what you think of me. Then again, I might actually beat you at  singing,” I scoffed. Yeah, he’s trying to be smart. But two can play the game.

“Really? How about a challenge then?” What is wrong with this guy? Minyoung, calm yourself down.

“Yeah sure, when I’m free the next time round. Gotta go guys, I’ll see you guys around,” as I stood up and left for class, not wanting to hear any other unnecessary remark from cocky Jung Daehyun. “You coming Jieun ah?”

“Ah yes,” she quickly got up. “I’ll see you guys later oppas and Jongup and Zelo.”

“Yah, Daehyun, why are you forever finding trouble with her?” Youngjae asked Daehyun.

“You know, they say if two people always argue, they will end up together somehow,” Yongguk said chuckling. The others joined in. Daehyun just glared at them as he prepared to leave for his next class.

“Minyoung, noraebang later after school?” Youngjae asked.

“Erm…” I wasn’t sure actually. But singing wasn’t really my thing.

“You told me you could actually sing,” Daehyun said.

“I did not,” as I slapped his arm.

“Well, if I recall correctly, last year you said, “I might actually beat you at singing.” There, your chance to prove to me that you’re better than me!” He was obviously challenging me.

“Fine! I’ll do it. You’ll be so sorry if I beat your a** at it. Be prepared Jung Daehyun,” I said, leaving the flabbergasted Daehyun who seemed to be in a dazed at my sudden confidence.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Another update. Why do I so badly want it to end? Haha.

solareiS : I refuse to accept your criticism! No, I’m just kidding! ^^ Thank you actually. For firstly, subscribing to this story, then checking my grammar and then criticizing my story and finally, being the first to comment. So many thanks just for you. But anyway, you’re right and I’m trying to keep that in mind. Or maybe just continue with the story like how it was in the first place, going with the flow. I wanted to be unique but I ended up making it sound so cliché. Oh well… I’m probably like many others. And like you too, I was typing out the story at 3AM-ish too. I don’t know why. I think I’m weird. (: