In Plain Sight

Beauty In Darkness

  “ Nina, can you hangout with us today?” Himchan asked, walking next to her, carrying your books. “ We're going to go to the arcade.”

 

“ As much as I would love to play mindless video games with all of you, I can't.” You opened your locker and took your books from Himchan. “ I work today.”

 

“ Aw, noona!” Jongup whined, standing on the other side of you. “ Do you have to?”

 

You giggled, nodding your head. “ Ne, I have a lot of work to do today because of Max has a big project due in a few days and he has to get it done.”

 

“ Do you want us to walk you there?” Youngjae offered, Daehyun standing next to him.

 

“ Ani, I'll be fine. Thank you guys though.” You smiled, closing your locker. “I'll see you later, alright?”

 

“ Ne, have fun and don't work to hard.” Yongguk patted your head before walking off. The others followed, all but Zelo,who sat there watching you.

 

You began to walk down the halls and was out the front door a few seconds later.

 

“ Hey, I'm going to head home. I'm not feeling like going out today.” Zelo waved and started to head out the door you just left out of. “ See you guys at home.”

 

The group watched Zelo leave, confused, but shrugged. The began to head to the arcade, not thinking a thing about his strange behavior.

 

Zelo ran down the side walk and then he saw you, walking out the gates. He quietly followed you, curiosity getting the best of him.

 

I wonder where's she going. Zelo thought to himself, hiding behind a tree, trying to go unnoticed. Wait, why do I even care-

 

“ Zelo-ah, you can stop hiding.”

 

Zelo just slightly at the sound of your voice. You had stopped a few yards up from him, butyou didn't bother turning around.

 

“ Uh, hi noona.” He awkwardly came out from behind the tree.

 

You turned to look at him,though you couldn't see him. “ When did you start calling me Noona?” You grinned, teasingly.

 

He blushed, looking away. “ I-um....... Since w-we're f-friends and all... you know-”

 

You giggled, smiling. “ I was just messing with you. So why were you following me Zelo?”

 

Zelo looked down, trying to come up with a good excuse. “ I-I wanted to make sure you got to work alright. You know, with Shinee and all...”

 

You tilted your head, but then smiled at him. “ Thank you Zelo-ah.” You thought for a moment. “ Are... Are you busy?”

 

Zelo looked up at you, looking into your pale eyes that seemed to sparkle. He never paid much attention,but now he noticed how pretty you were.

 

“ Um, not really....Why?”

 

“ Well, since Max can't help me today, I was wondering if you'd like to.” You held out your hand to him. “ It's nothing hard. I just need you to play with the kids while I fix the garden and cook dinner.”

 

Zelo looked at you, a little surprised. He never really knew how to interact with people, yet alone kids. He observed you for a few seconds as you waited patiently for his answer. After a second her nodded, taking your hand. “ Sure, I can do that.”

 

“ Great. Let's get going.” You smiled happily as you led him to the Orphanage.

 

“Noona!”

 

“ Unnie!”

 

You smiled as the familiar voices cheered and ran up to you. You knelt down and let the kids jump you for a hug.

 

“ Hey you guys!” You smiled happily as the kids pulled back.

 

The two kids looked up at Zelo as he shyly gave a wave.

 

“ Noona...”

 

“ Who's the tall man?”

 

You giggled lightly. “ This is my friend, Zelo. He's here to help me out today since Max couldn't come.”

 

Oh!” The two said in unison.

 

The little boy, Nickhyun, hugged your arm and stuck his tongue out at Zelo. “ You keep you're hands off my noona! One day we're going to get married!”

 

Zelo chuckled at this, nodding his head. “ Ne, I gotcha tough boy. I don't want to get beat up.” He held up his hands.

 

Yujin grinned, skipping over to him and taking his hand. “ It's ok! You can marry me!”

 

You and Zelo looked at each other and laughed.

 

“ How about we go in?” You stood up and walked to the building. You opened the door and Zelo was surprised. The interior was bright but looked broken down.

 

The walls were cracked a little and the once bright yellow paint was dull and chipped. Children were running around happily and talking amongst themselves. Zelo's eyes flickered around as he took in every aspect of the room.

 

This is where she use to live... The voice in his head told him as he looked at her.

 

“ It might not look like much but it's a really nice place to be.” You smiled at him, like you read his mind. You looked at the twins. “ Why don't you two go to the game room and play with Zelo.”

 

“Ne!” They took his hands and led him away.

 

*************

 

A few hours went by and you were working in the garden. Zelo was at the playground that was several yards away.

 

You looked around as your vision began to come back. You picked the weeds carefully, only seeing the shadows of them. After you were done picking the weeds, you pulled out your gardening shovel and began to dig.

 

“ Do you need any help?”

 

You looked up to see a tall figure standing over you. You smiled slightly and nodded your head. “ Yeah. If you want, but what happened to Nickhyun and Yujin?”

 

“ They wanted to go inside and sleep for a little bit.” Zelo knelt down next to you and picked up some gloves and an extra shovel.

 

You nodded and continued to dig a big enough hole to put the beautiful color flower in. You patted the soil over the roots and smiled to yourself.

 

Though I can't see it, I can tell it's beautiful. You slighted, touching the petals gently.

 

“ So this was where you use to live after... You know.” Zelo asked quietly, his eyes didn't leave the plant he was planting.

 

“Yes, I lived here for several years.” You spoke and looking at him. “ Why?”

 

“ I was just curious.” Zelo shrugged as he reached for the next flower. “ Hey, thisone didn't bloom.”

 

You looked over to see the flower had not opened. You held out your hands to it. “ Give me it.”

 

Zelo looked at you confused, gently handing you the plant. You dug a quick hole and placed it in it.

 

“ What are you doing?” Zelo questioned, watching her carefully. “ It's not blooming.”

 

“It's a late bloomer.” You smiled at him after you placed the soil over it. “ I believe that if a flower blooms late, then it will be the most beautiful.”

 

I don't think it be anywhere near as beautiful as you- A blush came across his face as he realized what he thought. Snap out of it Zelo!

 

“ Unnie!” A small little girl ran over, holding a piece of paper in her hand. “ Unnie!”

 

“ Ne.” You turn to the small girl, smiling. “ What is it, Sujin?”

 

“ I made you a picture!” Sujin gleefully said, holding out the picture to you. “ I hope you like it. I worked hard on it!”

 

You carefully took it as your vision began to fade. You gave a weak,fake smile to her. “ Thank you so much dear. It's beautiful.”

 

“ You really like it?” Sujin grinned, hugging you tightly.

 

You're heart tighten as you hugged her back. The little girl pulled away and waved goodbye before leaving.

 

Your smile faded as you stared at the picture. Zelo watched you, confused by your behavior.

 

“ Nina?”

 

“ I-I need to go do something.” You stood up and ran away.

 

“ Nina!” Zelo stood up and ran after you. “ Nina! Wait up!”

 

You kept running as your legs and lungs began to burn. You finally collapsed to your knees, panting as tears fell down your face.

 

“ Nina, what's wrong?” Zelo ran in front of her and was startled. He never thought she would cry, she was always so cheerful and happy. “ Noona? Please tell me wants wrong. Please?” He knelt in front of you, a hand on your cheek as he made you look up at him.

 

“ It's not fair.” You choked out, your voice was shaky and your breaths came out uneven. “ I lost my that my parents that night. Because of a stupid mistake someone did I lost everything. I try to act alright, but I'm not! I miss seeing the sun, the beautiful colors of the flowers, the star- I can't see anything because of that. I only see darkness.”

 

Zelo was shocked, processing this new information. She's blind....

 

“ I can't even see what I look like! My sisters and Ji-Na have to help me with what to wear and make sure I don't look like a complete wreck.” You cried out,shutting your eyes. “ It's not fair.”

 

You felt his hand go away, replaced by two arms around your waist. You felt yourself be pulled into something warm and suddenly you began to feel better. A hand rested on your head as Zelo's chin rested on top of your head.

 

“ Everything will be ok.” He softly said as he rocked you back and forth. “ You might not be able to see, but you can sometimes find beauty in darkness. Even if it seems bad, there's always something good that can be found.”

 

The two of you sat there in silence for a few minutes. You finally stopped yourself from crying anymore.

 

“ Zelo?”

 

“ Hm?”

 

“ What does this picture look like?” You softly muttered, burying your face in his chest.

 

Zelo smiled slightly, taking the picture from you. He took your hand and made you point your index finger. He gently brushed your fingertip against the drawing. He traced your finger against the crayon drawing.

 

“ A tall girl with long hair.” You began to tell him what you felt. “ There's a shorter girl with short hair.”

 

The continued this for a while. Zelo smiled lightly as her face lit up as she spoke. His heart began to beat fast.

 

Why am I feeling this way? He pondered the thought as you looked up, smiling.

 

“ Thanks Zelo.”

 

“ No problem. I'm glad to help.” He held you close to him. “ But there is one good thing about being blind though.”

 

“ And that would be?” You questioned, quirking an eyebrow at him.

 

“ You don't have to look at Himchan hyung's ugly face.”

 

The two of you began to laugh. After awhile, the two of you headed back, laughing and smiling.

 

A/N

Merry Christmas!!! Yeah, I knowit'slatebut I finished this yesterday and was going to post it as a Christmas present, but.... my internet stopped working. TT^TT Well as a bonus I made a Christmas Special! Yay.... no? ok. haha It might causeI was up all night tryingto fix the internet when the idea hit so hope you like it! Pleasecomment and subscribe? Makes me a little more motivated to type some more. Haha :3 Also if you want a New Years special then comment too. That would be great! Thanks!