The Race

Sound of Love

 

 

“Then that must mean…” Lay said glancing over at the driver who was walking towards them.

The driver pulled off his helmet and smirked at him. “Yes. I’m the ‘Teleporter’”

Lay just stood in awe of who was standing before him.

“Why are you surprised? You probably didn’t think someone as young as me would be so talented would you.” Kai said smirking.

“Oh I was right, he is a hottie.” Luhan said smiling.

“Can it.” Lay said. “So you’re the famous, ‘Teleporter’. Who would have guessed.”

“Don’t let the good looks fool you.” Kai said staring intense at Lay.

“Oh they fooled me alright. You looked like a complete airhead first time I saw you.” Lay said stepping a little closer as his eyes didn’t leave his.

“And you looked like a complete when I first saw you.” Kai said stepping a little closer. “Well, I guess I wasn’t wrong about that.”

Lay stepped a little closer so that they were only a few inches away. Their eyes were locked as they were unofficially having a staring contest. The tension was so thick, that a knife could slice through it.

“Alright boys.” Jongdae popped up. “How about we race huh?”

Lay scoffed, as he stepped away from him. “So what happened to your piece of , civic?”

Kai just smiled as he walked over to his car. “I thought I’d need a little more power going against the great, Yixing.”

Lay chuckled at his name. “Either way, you’re going down.”

“Alright children, I need you to sign this agreement.” Jongdae said, pulling out a piece of paper. “If Lay wins, Kai has to stay away from racing for good. If Kai wins, he gets Lay’s car as his winnings. Do you both agree?”

They both nod.

“Alright sign.”

Lay signed his name on the right side, while Kai signed it on the right obnoxiously large. Lay just chuckeld at the childish antics.

“Okay now that that is settled, go get yourselves on the starting line.”

They both eyed each other as they went to their cars.

Joonmyun stepped over to Kyungsoo who was standing next to Tao. “Kyungsoo—“

“Don’t.” Tao said blocking him from Kyungsoo. “He doesn’t want to talk to you, so just watch the race.”

“But I need to talk to—“

“Look, I’m sure you did a background check on me or something like that. If not, you should know I have done Wushu for practically my entire life. So if you don’t want to get your kicked, step off.”

Joonmyun scoffed as he walked over back to his friends.

“What was that all about?” Kris asked.

“That little panda looking boy is preventing me from talking to Kyungsoo. Stupid brat.”

Kris smiled. “Well, I need to go talk to him.”

“If you can get him away from Kyungsoo, that’d be great.” Joonmyun said calling out to him.

Kris tapped Tao on the shoulder. Tao quickly reacted by swinging his arm around, almost striking Kris in the face, but he didn’t flinch. “You know, you can’t just go around almost beating people up.”

Tao scoffed as he straightened himself out. “Habit.”

“Look.” Kris leaned in a little closer to him. “I have a photoshoot in a couple of days for my new line, and I need you to come model for me.”

“You’d think after all the ignored calls you’d stop trying.” Tao said looking away.

Kris stepped in front of him again. “I need you to model for me.”

“Have I not been clear enough with my answer?” Tao turned and started to walk away.

“10 grand.”

Tao stopped in his tracks and slowly turned around “Wh-what?”

“Model for me for 1 hour, and I’ll pay you 10 grand.”

Tao sighed. He knew that it was good money. He needed to take it. Recently his mother’s restaurant hasn’t been doing too well and neither has his father’s Laundromat. Both were close to debt, so Tao had been working hard to get money to help pay for things. He turned around to face Kris again. “Fine. One hour, that’s it.”

Kris smirked. “Great. My assistant will call you with the details.” He eyed Tao one last time. “Stay cute okay?” He said with a wink and walked off back to his friends.

Tao just shuddered at the greasiness.

“Well?!” Joonmyun asked when Kris came back.

“Oh. Sorry. I had to talk to Tao and he was being stubborn so I couldn’t get him to leave Kyungsoo’s side.” Kris said shrugging.

“You’re no help.” Joonmyun said defeated.

“Hey Joonie.” Luhan spoke.

“What?”

“Give me Xiumin’s number.”

“Why?”

“Why else?” Luhan smiled brightly.

Joonmyun just scoffed“Here.” He said showing his phone with Xiumin’s number on screen.

“Thanks Debbie downer!”

The two racers lined up at the starting line, viciously eying each other and revving their engines.

“Alright. No bumping, pushing, or throwing each other off the course. No defense mechanisms like oil or tacks. There are 7 turns and 5 miles of track. First one across the finish line, wins.” Jongdae says as referee.

Both drivers in the cars nod.

“Alright. Drivers Ready!”

Both turned their attention from each other and focused on the road.

“On your mark!”

Kai revved his engine a bit, but Lay revved it louder.

“Get set!”

Kai wasn’t going to be outdone by Lay so his foot pressed the gas harder. Lay just smirked.

“Go!”

And they were off. Kai pulled out of the starting line first, pulling ahead slightly, but Lay was keeping up with him.

In just a short distance the first turn came around, a u-turn. Kai was on the outside of the course while Lay was on the inside. Kai pulled ahead a bit and was going to try to take the inside on the turn, but he wasn’t fast enough. Lay quickly shifted gears and drifted so that the body of his car swung around and almost hit Kai’s front end, securing his place on the inside.

Kai cursed under his breath as he quickly regained focus, letting his car drift also, missing the tail of Lay’s car. The first turn down, Lay quickly a little further ahead. A little too much for Kai’s liking. Kai uped gears as he sped up to catch Lay.

The next turn was coming up, a sharp right. Lay was on the outside due to the last turn, was about to switch to the inside, until Kai came up and blocked him. Half of Lay’s car was ahead of Kai’s, but going into the turn, he couldn’t make it tight enough. He was forced to make a wider turn than he wanted, switching gears down and pulling the handbrake to drift.

Kai smirked as he made a perfect tight right turn. The back of his car swing and barely missed Lay’s side. He was now ahead of him after that turn. The small straight away allowed Kai to speed up and get in front of Lay.

Lay was not happy. He sped up so that his front bumper was basically kissing Kai’s back bumper. They went in to the next turn, a simple left handed turn. It was simple for the both of them, but Kai stayed in the lead, leaving Lay not a happy camper.

The next portion of the course was a zigzag road, with 4 points. Kai turned the points effortlessly, barely reducing his speed at all. Lay also did the same, but not as easily as Kai did. He had to reduce his speed a bit more than Kai did, so he was set back a few milliseconds.

Coming out of the zigzag part was a sharp left turn. With Kai in the lead, a little confident got in his head. He made a wide sharp turn, almost hitting the outside wall. With an opportunity open, Lay came in and took the sharp left turn on the inside and caught up with Kai. Now they were neck and neck again.

There next part was a straight away. Botk Kai and Lay were side by side, steadily increasing speed before going into the next turn. The lead switched off with each second on the straight away. A left handed turn was their next obstacle. Lay was on inside and so with quick maneuvering, he got the better for Kai and pushed ahead.

Kai was only a few milliseconds behind going into the large semi-circle turn.

Lay picked up speed going into the turn. He could see Kai in his side mirror, only a few feet away from his car. He quickly turned his car and pulled on the hand brake as he drifted the large turn. (A/N: Kind of like Lightning Mcqueen’s turn in Cars) Lay was feeling confident because there was no way Kai could catch up now.

He was wrong. Kai pulled the same maneuver, but his turn was tighter and his car drifted a bit more so he was on the inside of the turn, while Lay was on the outside. Kai quickly passed him up pulling out of the turn, smiling in satisfaction.

The last turn was a simple u-turn and both made it quite easily, but Lay wasn’t able to catch up to Kai during the turn. The only chance he had was the final straight away. He knew his car was faster than Kai’s so he could catch up.

Kai could see the finish line in site. The only thing he had to do now was keep his lead. But it wasn’t’ easy. He could see Lay creeping up on the left, slowly gaining ground on him. He was almost there though.

Lay stepped on the gas as hard as he could, hoping that the final moments would be his lucky ones. Kai did the same, pushing with all his might.

It was close. The crowd held their breath with anticipation as they watched the cars race past them. Only a few feet away and Lay was quickly catching up.

With one final push, Kai won with his tire crossing the finish line before the front of Lay’s car could.

Kai slowed down and finished with turning his car around to face Lay’s car who stopped in front of his. They both got out to the crowd surrounding them screaming and cheering. No one has ever beaten Lay in a race. No one.

They met in the middle while having an intense stare down. “That was just luck.” Lay bitterly said.

“No, that was skill, something you obviously lack.” Kai shot back.

Kris, Joonmyun, and Luhan ran behind Lay, while Kyungsoo and Tao ran up towards Kai, both groups trying to pull them away from each other.

“Okay boys! Race is over!” Jongdae said pushing them apart. “Well Kai won and so Lay…” He said trailing off.

Lay just scoffed as he tossed the keys to Kai. “Whatever I can always buy a new ing car.”

Kai caught them and handed them to Tao. “Follow me when we leave.” He whispered. Tao nodded as he took Kyungsoo over to Lay’s car and got in.

Joonmyun tried to run over to Kyungsoo before he got in the car, but he was too slow. He tried knocking on the window, but Kyungsoo just ignored him.

Lay watched as Kai walked off back to his car, obviously upset and anger in his eyes. “I was expecting that piece of civic you were racing yesterday. I didn’t know you had more than one car.”

Kai opened the driver door, prepared to get in. “I don’t.” He got in closed the door and rolled down the window. “This is your car.” He said with a wink and a smirk. Kai turned around and drove off, with Tao following behind.

It took a second for Lay to register it but when he did, “What the !?” He yelled out.

“Kris take me to my garage now!” He yelled running towards the car.

“But—“

“NOW.” Kris didn’t argue with him further. Luhan and Joonmyun quickly followed them.

They rushed to Lay’s car garage. Lay knew the car looked familiar, but it didn’t click with him that it was HIS car. He’d never expect someone to break into his garage and steal a car, must less race him with it.

They raced up to the 4th floor, where the Subaru Imperza WRX STI would be, in the parking spot 411. They ran over to see that, the parking spot was filled, with the exact same car from earlier.

Lay circled the car to survey it, and nothing was broken or scratched. He found a note under one of the windshield wipers.

Thanks for letting me borrow your car to race you and thanks for the new car. As a kind gesture, I filled the tank for you.

~The ‘Teleporter’

Lay crumpled up the note and threw it on the ground with much anger. “, I’m going to get this kid!”



 

 

A/N: Did you guys enjoy it? Kai won! Lol Oh LayKai. So cute :3

Sorry for not updating. I've been kind of slow recently so sorry :(((

But here's the next chapter! I'll update as soon as i can. Thanks to all the subscribers!!

Comment with feedback yes?