☾ 8 ☽

Once in a Blue Moon
"Yong Junhyung, the young novelist who published his first book, Fiction in Fact, has finally recovered from his comatose.
 
The shocking news about the accident of him falling from the bridge aroused two weeks ago and his fans were really worried about his safety. Rumors said that he fell from the bridge with a young girl.
 
It's still unknown whether it's just an accident or it's actually a suicide attempt. Junhyung is still in the hospital but his representative just stated this morning that he has opened his eyes again.
 
Due to his injury, he went into a coma and even though his fans insisted to visit him, the hospital forbid them to come.
 
"He is still recovering so he will not continue his writing for temporary," his editor spoke up to the press. "Please let him to have a good rest."
 
No one can give reliable news yet about who the girl is or whether Junhyung actually jumped down from the bridge alone or not."

 
Doojoon closes the magazine and puts it back on the table, "Stupid article..."
 
He returns his gaze to his best friend who is lying on the hospital bed, looking at the night sky through the window. It's like he doesn't care whatever Doojoon just read for him.
 
Doojoon looks at him with concern, feeling useless that he can't do anything for Junhyung. Even though he has gained his consciousness back since yesterday night, the reality doesn't make him feel better.
 
The moment he opened his eyes, Junhyung found himself on the hospital bed, surrounded by his parents, his younger brother, and Doojoon. His mother cried happy tears when he was finally awake.
 
Doojoon quickly called the doctor to check his condition. It took a while for Junhyung to talk again and his first question made the whole room to fall in silence.
 
"Where is Kumi?"
 
No one answered him.
 
He felt afraid by the silence but he was too powerless to do anything. It's even difficult to clench his fist. His head is bandaged and he can barely move.
 
His father told him that he hit a stone after he jumped from the bridge to help Kumi but that's that. There is no one has courage to tell him what happened to Kumi.
 
"I had a dream...," Junhyung finally says something and Doojoon straightens his body in surprise. "In the dream, Kumi and I were together..."
 
Doojoon opens his mouth but closes it again. He doesn't know how to tell Junyung about what happened after both of them jumped off the bridge.
 
"She went into a coma like you," a voice answers Junhyung's question. Gikwang is at the door and he gives him cold glare. "But she's not as lucky as you."
 
Gikwang has been there ever since Junhyung and Kumi entered the hospital. While Doojoon accompanied Junhyung, Gikwang never took his leave from Kumi's side.
 
He held her hand, praying that she would open her eyes so she would realize that he loves her so much.
 
"Minutes before you opened your eyes...," Gikwang feels like the words are choked inside his throat, "...her heart stopped beating."
 
Yesterday night, Gikwang swore he saw Kumi opened her eyes for seconds. Her lips turned into a curve and Gikwang didn't know whether it's just a dream or not.
 
Then the heart monitor showed that her heart had stopped beating.
 
"What have you done to her, Yong Junhyung?" Gikwang punches the wall with anger. "She was so happy when you finally became an author. She never stopped talking about you. She just wanted you to be happy!"
 
"Now that she is not in your world anymore, are you happy?" Gikwang's question stabs his heart. Gikwang heaves a sigh and then walks out from the room without another word.
 
A tear escapes Junhyung's eyes as he comes to the realization that when he was in a coma, everything led him to wake up.
 
"Wake up, Yong Junhyung. You can't dream forever."
"You should stop. Return to your real world, Junhyung. Stop dreaming."
 
Doojoon tried to wake him up. It's a sign for him to realize that he's in a deep sleep, near to his last heartbeat somehow.
 
"Don't. Just... Just stay in your world."
"Tell yourself that you don't."
"Once you let go, you can't have it back. You can't have her, Junhyung."
"Because she is not in your world."
 
His subconscious even made Gikwang's image to tell him that he is the one who let go of Kumi, that he was in different world at the moment, that possibly they would not be in the same world anymore.
 
The doctor once said that he probably would forget everything due to his injury but it's a miracle that he doesn't.
 
"She wanted me to remember her...," Junhyung closes his eyes, talking to no one but Doojoon focuses on him. "She survived until I woke up..."
 
He grabs his hair and tears fall down, "What do I have now that I remember her but she's gone?!"
 
Doojoon drops his gaze sadly. He never got to know Kumi close enough but, for a reason, he has a feeling of what Junhyung has in mind.
 
"She loved you, Junhyung. Too much that she tried to be with you in your dream," he tries to comfort his best friend. "I'm sure she is glad now that you remember everything."
 
"Can you imagine her smile, telling you that you're very much alive now, Junhyung?"
 
The sincere words break his wall that he has built to hide everything inside. Junhyung cries his heart out, knowing that Kumi will never return again to his world.
 
Even if the blue moon comes, he will never see her again.
 
He let her go once and he lost her forever.