23

Don't Fall In Love With Me

His body started to violently jerk and I knew right away that my suspicions were correct. The school nurse appeared and she said aloud, “He’s having a seizure.” I absent mindedly reached for my phone in my bag and called his father.
 

“Hello?”


“Your son is having a seizure.”


Thankfully his father didn’t have a surgery at the time, so he could come out and check on his son. In the mean time, the paramedics came and rushed Baekhyun onto a stretcher and into an ambulance.


I took the liberty of skipping school (again) and going to the hospital. Of course all of his friends wanted to come as well, so they all piled into my car.


I hated how well I knew the layout of the hospital. I saw my entire family enter this hospital and end up in a casket. There was no way Baekhyun would end up the same. Not here.


“You seem calmer then you should be,” Kai stated as we took a seat in the waiting room.


 “I’m calm because he’s going to be okay,” I said firmly. I thought that maybe if I said it out loud it would help me actually believe those words.


It didn’t.


“It’s okay to be worried, you know,” Suho added. “We know you’ve been through a hell of a lot more than any person should, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t have feelings.”


“I have feelings. I’ve just trained them to stay under the surface,” I replied.


All five of them sent me concerned looks, but I stared down to the hands in my lap, knowing their stares would eventually wear off.


“What if he doesn’t make it?” Sehun asked nervously, his fingers tapping rapidly on the arm rest.


What if he doesn’t make it?


He’s not allowed to not make it.


There was no way I could possibly go on without him.


Sure, I’ve had quite a morbid past and I’ve managed to get past it all somehow, but if he ever dared to leave me this early, I would lose it.


Maybe I’m just an overly obsessed girl not willing to lose her first and very serious relationship.


Or maybe it’s because we’ve been through more than people who have been together for years in just a few months.


Or maybe it’s because for the first time in a long time I feel as though things are finally going right.
 

Or maybe it’s because I feel guilty for giving him the silent treatment the day before.


Or maybe it’s a little of everything.


So, no, Baekhyun not making it was not an option because there would be no way in hell that I would be able to make it.


“Don’t say that Sehun. He’s going to be fine,” Chanyeol assured. “He has to be fine. He survived cancer and he’s going to survive this. It was just a little seizure…” His voice trailed off at the end, and his assuring voice wearied off into doubt.


The sound of expensive, designer shoes bounced off the empty hospital walls and I knew Baekhyun’s father was approaching.
 

Everything would be okay because his father was here. He was the best in the country. Baekhyun had to be okay.
 

He strode right past us, clearly worried about his son.
 

“Are you Baekhyun’s father?” the receptionist asked.
 

“Yes, please let me see him,” he replied, pulling out his wallet to show proof.
 

The receptionist nodded her head and sent him down the hallway.
 

I pushed myself forward to the edge of my seat, holding my arms tightly on the chair. I wish I could follow him down the hallway, but I had no right to.
 

A whole hour passed.
 

We all sat in the silent waiting room waiting; waiting for something to happen. Anything.
 

Baekhyun’s father strode out of the hallway and I stood to my feet.
 

“Is he okay?” I asked louder than I thought.
 

“I’m having him sent to my hospital. They don’t have the proper machinery here. He’ll be much better cared for there,” he said, walking out the door.
 

“He didn’t answer my question…” I whisper silently.
 

A hand lands on my shoulder. I didn’t look behind me, but I noticed Kai’s feet behind mine when I look down in anguish.
 

I straighten up and take a deep breath.
 

“Come on guys. Let’s go to the other hospital.”
 

I hated the small town I lived in. Our hospital couldn’t accommodate to Baekhyun? Was that why my entire family had slipped through my fingers? My stupid small town where everyone knew each other; where rumors spread faster than plagues; where people only knew me because I was the dead parent’s child. I couldn’t wait to leave.
 

I tried to drive as calmly as I could on the freeway. There was no way I would let myself get in a car accident. Not after everything that’s happened.
 

When the tall buildings of the city came in view, I felt my heart race.
 

Of course Baekhyun would be okay.
 

He was in the city.
 

Nothing could possibly go wrong in the city.
 

* * *
 

We ended up in another waiting room.
 

It was much more tolerable than the former one though. There was a view of the city, a quality cafeteria, and the guys seemed to be more than a little distracted by the attractive receptionists at this hospital. Of course things were better in the city.
 

Things were looking up.
 

“Hey guys,” the receptionist at the desk called out, causing our heads to jerk up. “Dr. Byun wants to see Baekhyun’s girlfriend.”
 

I stood up apprehensively. Why was it just me by myself?
 

I walked over and she opened the door to the white hallway. “Room 1012.”
 

I walked down the halls and my heart beat grew faster with each step closer.
 

Room 1012 was closed and I slowly brought my hand up to knock on the door. It opened almost immediately and Baekhyun’s father peeked out. He opened the door wider and my heart sank when I saw an unconscious Baekhyun plugged into several machines. I was having terrible déjà vu.
 

I heard the door close as I walked over to Baekhyun’s bed. I hovered over him feeling worried about what I was about to hear.
 

There must have been bad news. Why else would I have been called in by myself?


“Baekhyun told me not to tell you, but he got in a car accident the other day.”


“I know,” I replied, still staring at my limp boyfriend.
 

“Really? He told you?”
 

My eyes widened. Was I not supposed to reveal that?
 

“Yeah, it slipped out of him yesterday.”
 

He let out a heavy sigh. “He must’ve hit his head during the accident because there’s been damage to his brain. I told him to be extra careful because his brain would take a while to heal…”
 

“It’s not your fault. Baekhyun’s stubborn. Not much we can do about that,” I said trying to ease the situation. “Is he going to be okay?”
 

“He will be,” he said. “Hopefully.”