22

Don't Fall In Love With Me

I waited.
 

I waited all day.


Not one call or even a text was sent from Baekhyun. I stared at the blank screen on my phone for hours and there was nothing. I didn’t even care for an apology by the time night rolled in. I just wanted some sort of acknowledgement from him.


More hours passed and my obsession with staring at my phone was becoming unorthodox. It was much too late to be up doing such a mundane thing. You would think after spending a whole day doing the same thing, you would get tired of it, but I felt nothing at all. Not hunger, nor sleep. I stayed in the same position on my couch until 2 am. I eventually drifted off into sleep, but it seemed so short lived when my alarm rang after what seemed like only seconds after closing my
eyes.


I shifted into the sitting position on the couch feeling groggy and sore from the lack of proper support from the couch cushions. A headache seemed to become more prominent as I stood up and dragged myself over to the kitchen.


Everything I was numb to the night before seemed to hit me all at once in one moment. I scarfed down a bowl of cereal and swallowed a couple aspirin pills.


Walking into the bathroom, I couldn’t help but notice the beast that was staring back at me in the mirror. Messy hair, dark circles, puffy, red eyes, and runny makeup. I scrubbed the makeup off, applied new makeup, adding more than I usually did under my eyes during the process, and brushed out all the knots and tangles in my hair.


I looked in the mirror feeling satisfied with my work. No one would have ever assumed that I had been a complete mess in the morning.


When I opened the door to leave, a figure standing at the door nearly gave me a heart attack.


He flashed me a closed smile and all I could manage to do was blink back at him.


I closed the door behind me and walked towards my car knowing very well that he would be following behind me.


I pressed the unlock button on the remote and the car beeped in response. Was he really not going to say anything?


As soon as I placed my hand on the car door handle, he finally spoke up.


“I’m sorry.” I kept my back facing him. “I shouldn’t have blown up on you yesterday. I’m not very good at this boyfriend stuff. I’ve only been one once before.”


I opened the car door, got in, and started the car. I stared at a confused Baekhyun through the car window and he merely stared back at me. My expression softened as I nodded towards the passenger seat.
 

* * *
 

“Are you really going to give me the silent treatment all day?” It was fifth period and although I couldn’t avoid Baekhyun all day, I could at least keep my mouth shut.
 

I ignored his comment as I worked on the lab write up we were assigned at the beginning of class.
 

“How many times do I have to say sorry till I get a word out of you? Will dinner work? Or, uh, a slap in the face?” He stared at me for a moment, before sighing. “Oh, come on, I thought that last one would work for sure.”


I glanced away from my work and looked at him. I wiped his pleasant look of shock on his face off with a light slap on his cheek. I let out a chuckle as I got back to work.


* * *


“Okay, it’s been a full day without you talking. I need at least one word out of you before I go home,” he pleaded.
 

Somehow I had made it through a whole school day and even some time back at my house without talking to Baekhyun. I felt a little immature pulling the silent treatment on him, but I was genuinely upset with him, and I honestly didn’t feel like talking to him. I suffered so much the day before, so I figured he had to go through some kind of torture for me to feel satisfied.


“Drive safe,” I say to him, quickly closing the door after. I could see the complete look of shock on his face in the milliseconds it took to close the door. I shook my head and let out a chuckle knowing he was still there.
 


I turned the dead bolt with a loud click, signaling that I wasn’t planning on opening the door again. I waited to hear Baekhyun’s footsteps leaving before I went to bed.
 

It took him ten minutes, but he finally left.
 

I sighed, wondering how our next real conversation would go. Sure he apologized and told me his side of the story, but he didn’t hear mine. I forgave him for blowing up on me, but I couldn’t bring myself to forgive him for lying. I knew it was just part of his personality to hide things, but I thought I had finally reached a point with him where he felt that he didn’t have to do that anymore.
 

I asked Seungyeon for advice the next morning during homeroom.


“Either you break up with him or you wait until he changes; which will most likely be quite a while,” was all she had to say.


It’s extremely hard to just change your personality overnight, so of course I had to be patient. But what if the change never came? What if I waited and waited for something that would never actually happen? I hated not knowing.


It was obvious I couldn’t break up with him, so I really had no choice but to forgive him and be patient with the boy. He would come around some day. Hopefully.


The bell rang, signaling the end of homeroom, and on my way to class, all I could hear was frantic screaming and panic. A crowd formed near Baekhyun’s homeroom and I could hear voices saying his name. My pulse increased rapidly and a huge rush of adrenaline swept through my veins.


I pushed and elbowed my way to the crowd to see Baekhyun on the floor, eyes shut, and limbs limp. I could only watch and stare as Chanyeol and Kai attempted to wake him up. It wouldn’t do any good though. I knew exactly what it was.

 


He was having a seizure.