03

Don't Fall In Love With Me

Waking up the next morning was a bit different than usual, but it was probably because what was lying on the other side of my wall or perhaps the fact that I had spilled practically my whole life story to said person, but I don’t know. I walked to the bathroom and noticed that my brother's room was open. I peeked inside and noticed that the room looked like it had been untouched. The bed was made and everything was back in its place. Yesterday couldn’t have possibly been just a dream, right?
 

"Good morning," I said to my grandmother. I tested my theory. "Did you happen to see Baekhyun leave earlier?" I asked as I sat down at the table. She was gently placing an egg cooked over easy and a few slices of bacon atop a piece of toast. I noticed an empty plate in front of the empty seat beside me. My grandmother was never the breakfast type, so I knew yesterdays happenings were quite likely.
 

"Yes, I did, actually," she said, placing breakfast down in front of me. I smiled to myself thanking the heavens that it all wasn’t too good to be true. "He walked out the door just as I heard your door open."
 

"Why'd he leave so early?" It was only 7 o’clock and school didn’t start till 8.
 

She shrugged her shoulders. "He just had breakfast, told me a quick thank you, and walked right out the door." 
 

After finishing breakfast, I bid goodbye to my grandmother and walked out the door to meet the others. They were all outside on the sidewalk, waiting for me to finally come out. 
 

"My mom told me she saw you at the grocery store last night," Chen said. "With a boy: A boy that wasn't any of us. Care to explain?" Chen’s mother worked at a cute little restaurant next door to the grocery store. As a matter of fact, she actually owned the joint and was probably closing down, which was why she would have seen me last night.
 

I pondered for a while as to if I should actually tell them who I was with, knowing what their reaction would be like. But it wasn't like I could lie to them. I didn't know any other guys other than the 6 of them and there was really no point. They would eventually find out anyway. "That was Baekhyun," I said quietly. 
 

"What?!" the 6 of them exclaimed simultaneously. Although I already expected their boisterous reaction, I flinched anyway. 
 

"My grandma sent me to the grocery store last night and on my way there I saw him standing outside of Kyungsoo's house because he apparently missed his bus back home and he needed somewhere to stay, but he wasn't answering his phone," I explained. I thought that would be enough explanation for them, but they remained quiet and waited for me to go on. With a sigh, I continued. "I asked him if he wanted to go to the grocery store with me to see if he'd answer by the time we got back. He declined at first, but after a few steps he just appeared next to me and he came along." 
 

"Oh my god, he totally loves you," Tao said, mimicking the voice of an uptight girl gossiping. I rolled my eyes and punched him in the arm. It didn’t do much damage considering the martial artist he was, but the message was received.
 

* * *

 

In the beginning of third period, which just happened to be my English class, Baekhyun walked over and sat in the empty desk in front of me, turning to face me. I could feel Luhan's eyes burning lasers into my skin as I tried to remain somewhat calm. 
 

"Thanks for letting me stay over last night." I saw Luhan's jaw drop and hand shove over his mouth.  "Sorry I left so early though. Kyungsoo called me as soon as he woke up because of my 23 missed calls..."
 

"Oh, it's alright. I look like a mess in the morning, so maybe it's better that you weren't there." Why did I say that? Why? He's going to imply that I like him now because I care about my appearance through his eyes and now I have just made things more awkward than things should have been. 
 

Shortly after my war with myself, the teacher walked in, causing Baekhyun to just flash a smile and walk back to his seat. I released a breath I didn't even realize I was holding and tentatively glanced at Luhan next to me. He had his chin propped on his cupped hand as he gave me the most absurd smirk I've ever seen in my life. 
 

"Wipe that look off of your face before I wipe it off for you," I said, hostility dripping off my voice. 
 

"You failed to mention anything about him SLEEPING OVER YOUR HOUSE," he harshly whispered over the teacher. "HOW COULD YOU NOT TELL US THAT? I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS. THESE ARE EXACTLY THE THINGS FRIENDS TELL EACH OTHER. ARE WE NOT YOUR FRIE-" 
 

"Luhan, please stop bugging her and pay attention," Mrs. Choi said as she wrote on the white board. I covered my mouth and quietly snickered as Luhan sank into his seat. Thank god he was the only one of my friends in my English class.
 

Fortunately, Mrs. Choi's lecture lasted the entire class so Luhan didn't have a chance to pester me. There was a bit of a jam walking out of the class and I noticed that Baekhyun and I were about to squeeze through the door at the same time, but he stopped and said, "Ladies first." I gratefully smiled at him and Luhan managed to also squeeze past Baekhyun. 
 

"I believe he said 'Ladies first,' Luhan." 
 

He shrugged his shoulders. "I have every right to take advantage of your new found relationship with Mr. City Boy." 
 

I rolled my eyes at him. "There's no relationship to take advantage of."
 

"That's not what the signals he's sending you are saying," he sang, disappearing into his next class. 
 

Signals? He's sending me signals? What was Luhan seeing that I wasn't? 
 

I aimlessly walked into my next class, ignoring Chen and Tao pelting questions at me. I assumed that Luhan had texted them of the news since he couldn't talk to me about it during class. As annoying as they were, everything they said when straight through one ear and out the other. It was also pretty easy to space out during class, considering that Economy wasn't the most enticing subject out there.
 

I couldn't help but think about if Baekhyun really did like me. It had only been a day of actually talking to him. Wasn't I jumping to conclusions too soon? I didn't actually know if I had any romantic interest towards him though. He was quite attractive and from what I've seen I guess he was a nice guy. Or maybe I was just letting myself imply that he was a nice guy because I somehow told him my biggest kept secret. But even so, I guess I wouldn't mind if we dated. BRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING, the bell rang interrupting my thoughts, thankfully so. What was I doing thinking about dating him already? I was only setting myself up for unnecessary heartbreak. 
 

"You've tortured all of us for two periods. Please tell us what happened," Tao pleaded as we sat down at our usual table. 
 

"You guys are going to be really disappointed when I tell you that nothing happened," I said trying to reduce their interest, but the curiosity in their faces remained. "All he really did was stay the night, in a separate room, and he left before I even woke up," I urged, trying to ignore any memory of telling Baekhyun one of my darkest secrets. 
 

Luhan narrowed his eyes at me and said, "If that's really all that happened, why does he keep looking at you like that?" 
 

"Like what?" Luhan nodded his head over to the right, directing me where to look. I peered over his shoulder only to lock eyes with Baekhyun's. I immediately looked away, feeling a blush rise on my face. "Okay, I see your point, but nothing happened." 
 

"Nothing needed to happen. Once a guy likes a girl, he likes a girl."