08

Before I Go Blind

Woohyun peeked into the room after knocking it three times. Haneul wasn't there. "Haneul.." he called out.

 

 

Haneul : I'm in the bathroom!

Woohyun : Oh, sorry. I'll come back later.

 

 

Haneul held her laughter. He probably thought she was "busy" in there.

 

 

Haneul : No, no, no.. I'm packing.

 

 

She ran out of the bathroom and showed herself to Woohyun, who was standing outside the door with only half his head peeking in.

 

 

Haneul : You can come in. (she smiled)

 

 

She knew Woohyun was probably not in a good mood. He never is these days. She was still a little hurt by how Woohyun was acting so cold towards her. But they were getting married. "That's how it is," she thought. She was packing some of her medicine that Doctor Lee prescribed for her. She mumbled to herself, "Yellow ones for headaches, blue for vision, drops also for vision," while she placed each of them into her kit.

 

 

Haneul went back to her room and put the kit into her luggage which was sitting on the bed, next to Woohyun.

 

 

Haneul : Hey. (she planted a kiss on his lips)

 

 

Woohyun slightly smiled and looked down. Haneul sat on the floor, facing Woohyun. Woohyun wouldn't look at her. Haneul took his hand and intertwined her fingers between his. Woohyun stared at the ring on her finger. Haneul noticed.

 

 

Haneul : Woohyun..

Woohyun : Please don't go..

Haneul : Oh my god, Woohyun.. (she pulled her hand away)

Woohyun : What's the point? You're just making people worry about you. You're putting yourself in danger. You're jus-

Haneul : (she interupted) Really, Woohyun? Seriously? (she stood up) Does every conversation we have must lead to the fact I'm going blind?

Woohyun : Because you are, Haneul! You are!

Haneul : Enough! I am tired of everybody telling me what to do! (she walked away)

Woohyun : You are not going, Haneul! Do you understand? (Woohyun followed)

Haneul : I am not a child!

Woohyun : Stop acting like one! (Haneul ran her fingers through her hair in frustration)

Haneul : Stop treating me like one! (she said angrily) Why.. why does it bother you so much that I want to go?

Woohyun : Because we love you, Haneul. That's why.

Haneul : I said.. why does it bother YOU so much that I want to go?

 

 

No answer. Haneul turned away from her fiance to hide her tears. She was hoping he would say, "Because I love you.." But no. He didn't. Of course not. Haneul suddenly noticed how everything was just made up for them. Maybe they weren't fate. Maybe they will never fall in love. Maybe they will never be happy. Maybe he doesn't love her.

 

 

Woohyun : If you leave tomorrow, Haneul. I swear I would....

Haneul : Come after me? (she eyed him) Yeah, like you'd do that.

 

 

Woohyun shook his head in disbelief. He felt really bad for making her cry. This was the worst fight they've ever had. It was also the most talk they've had in months. Woohyun turned his back and started walking out of the room.

 

 

Haneul : "Because I love you.." that was it. It was all you had to say. I would have stayed, Woohyun. Because I... love you.

 

 

Woohyun's heart felt like it was shattered to pieces. He couldn't imagine how her heart was.