06

Before I Go Blind

Haneul ate her dinner slowly as her mother studied her actions, her father completely not making eye contact and Woohyun sips his drink.

 

Haneul : I don't care. I want to go. (slamming her fork and knife on the table)

 

"What did I just say?," Haneul bit her tongue "Can't back out now"

 

Woohyun : Haneul, enough. (he gave Haneul a cold expression)

Haneul : No... I..

Woohyun : Stop it.

Haneul : But..

Woohyun : Haneul...

 

Woohyun loosened his tie. Mrs Kim stared at her daughter, her face more afraid than Haneul.

 

Mrs Kim : Its a bad idea.

Haneul : And staying here isn't?!

Mrs Kim : Sweetheart..

Haneul : You can't do this...

Mrs Kim : Honey, listen.

Haneul : Please...

Woohyun : Haneul! (he raised his voice) Enough!

 

Haneul tears finally escaped her eyes. She looked at her father who was quiet the whole time.

 

Haneul : Dad... Please. I'm begging. (she choked)

 

Her father didn't even look at her. Haneul wiped her tears and ran up to her room.

 

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

Mr Kim : Haneul? (he sat on her bed)

 

Haneul pulled her blankets closer to her body, covering her head.

 

Mr Kim : If you won't talk... then I need you to listen. (he sighed) Behind those eyes, is everything I will never understand. So I cannot tell you that I understand how you feel. Bacause I never will, Haneul. Never.

 

Haneul bit her lips as she cried quietly.

 

Mr Kim : I don't want you to wake up one day and... miss the world. (his voice cracked) You can stop now, Haneul. You can stop being strong. I'll help you with that. I'll be strong for you.

 

Haneul got up and hugged her father tight. He rubbed her shoulders and cried too.

 

Mr Kim : Don't wait. The time will never be just right. Wherever you go, go with all your heart.

Haneul : (she looked up and studied her father's expression) Dad...

Mr Kim : Sometimes, being strong means letting go. (He wiped her tears) I'll let you go.

 

Haneul hugged her father tighter, tighter than before.