01

Before I Go Blind

Haneul ran slowly as she entered the cafe, escaping the rain. She sighed when she saw her reflection in the window. Her makeup has melted, her dress now seethrough and her hair flat and damp. She took a deep breath and continued her path. She saw Woohyun, sitting perfectly at the table in the corner. She grinned. She went closer.

 

Haneul : Woohyun. (she tap his shoulder)

Woohyun : Haneul-sshi. You're here. (he got up from his seat)

 

Haneul smiled. She expects a little hug, maybe a light kiss from him. But, no. He bows and politely ask her to take her seat. And so she did. Haneul and Woohyun have been 'dating' for almost a two years now. In that time, Woohyun has kissed (like really kissed) her once, on their first anniversary. In front of the entire family. To make a statement. 

Woohyun have never thought the relationship would go this far. He did love Haneul. In a way, he had to. She was his boss' only daughter. When Haneul's father, President Kim, set Haneul and Woohyun together, they both were surprised. Haneul for one thought her life with Woohyun was destiny. And that they were meant for each other. Woohyun, on the other hand just went with it. They don't go on dates, they only meet up at family dinners, party and social events. Haneul's family absolutely adore Woohyun. How could they not? He is very handsome, smart, polite. What more could a girl ask for?

 

Woohyun : I'm a little tired. (flashing a smile)

Haneul : (she laughed) I understand. We'll make this a quick one.

 

After ordering, they sat quietly. They've never gone out randomly like this. Just a few hours ago, when Haneul got a call from Woohyun who asked her out for lunch, she was estatic. But now, she feels so awkward. She wasn't the only one. Woohyun too seemed uncomfortable.

 

Haneul : Are you okay? 

Woohyun : I am fine. 

Haneul : Did you want to talk about something, Woohyun?

Woohyun : (he took a deep breath) I did.

Haneul : And?

 

The waiter came and placed the food on the table.

 

Woohyun : We should eat first.

 

So they ate. Which seems like ages to Haneul because Woohyun wouldn't stop staring at her without saying a word. She put down her fork and knife and gulped down her drink.

 

Haneul : You're driving me crazy. (she sighed) Just say it. 

 

He fidget and cleared his throat. 

 

Woohyun : Tonight. There's the uh... dinner. 

Haneul : Yes.

Woohyun : I will propose.

 

Everything stopped. No sound, no movements. "Say something, Haneul" Haneul thought by herself.

 

Haneul : Well..

Woohyun : Its time. By next month, we'll be... together for two years. 

Haneul : Its...I uh... (she stuttered) Its so....

Woohyun : Soon?

Haneul : Sudden. (she whispered)

Woohyun : Will you say yes?

 

Haneul looked up and stared at Woohyun's face who was desperate for an answer. 

 

Haneul : I will.