04

Before I Go Blind

Haneul sat in her room for days after that. She wouldn't eat, talk or sleep. She just stare out into the sky through her window. Gripping her knees and chewing her lips. She regretted not going on with her treatments years ago when she found out she had eye cancer. How could she? She almost became a drug addict having to take too much of the pills. She kept losing weight because the treatment was tiresome. She kept getting headaches and having delusions. She looked like a living corpse. She didn't want to 'die' in order to stay alive. 

 

But she does regret it. Especially now since Woohyun just proposed. Everything would have been perfect. He'd take her father's place as President. They live in a mansion of their own. Having kids of their own. Lots of em. Picture perfect. She can even see it right now. Haneul walked to the shelf beside her bed. She grabbed some of the albums and placed them on the floor. 

 

Haneul tied her hair up and sat down on the floor. She flipped through the albums. Sitting for hours. "Oh, look at this", "I have to remember this", she mumbled. She smiled, giggled, and cried just looking at them. She looked at the picture in details.

 

Woohyun : Haneul-sshi. (he smiled)

 

Haneul looked up. She couldn't see clearly. She saw a tall figure wearing all black but she couldn't tell who it is. But she guessed.

 

Haneul : Woohyun?

 

Woohyun was standing behind her all along. She didn't notice. He watched as she was going through every picture. 

 

Woohyun : Yeah. (Haneul rubbed her eyes) Can.. can you see me?

Haneul : Of course. (she continued looking at the pictures) Just tired.

 

Woohyun squated next to her. 

 

Woohyun : What are you doing?

Haneul : Just trying to remember some of these things. I don't have much time. I won't be able to look at them anymore. So I need to memorize them. That way I can picture them, you know. Once I lose my sight, I can just.. you know.. picture them. (she let out a small laugh under her breath)  Is that... crazy?

Woohyun : (he took a while to answer) Yes.

 

Haneul suddenly felt shy around her fiance. He was never this close to her. He always kept his distance. 

 

Woohyun : How are you?

Haneul : (she faced him) I'm actually doing quite fine. I'm.. fine. (she smiled)

Woohyun : The truth?

 

Haneul stood up and walked to the window, Woohyun followed.

 

Haneul : It is the truth. 

 

She stared out into the night. She saw Woohyun's reflection in the glass window. His head down, eyes on the ground. Then, he lifted his hand. Haneul saw that he intended to touch her. But just as his hand was about to fall on her shoulder, he shook his head and pulled it back. Haneul's face turned bitter. 

 

Woohyun : I'll pick you up tomorrow for lunch. We'll see the doctor after that. (he turned away)

Haneul : Woohyun. (she grabbed his wrist) Stay.

 

Woohyun froze.

 

Haneul : Please?

 

Woohyun turned around and planted a soft kiss on her head. He then left her, alone.