03

Before I Go Blind

It was late. She was tired of smiling and laughing already. Her head aches and her visions started to blur. She thought she was just tired so she went to her room. She washed up and got ready for bed. Her head started to spin and she couldn't see clearly. She crashed into her bed. She hoped it will all just go away the next morning. 

 

Haneul felt like she's been sleeping for decades. "Why is it still dark?" she mumbled. She only glimpse of light coming from the ceiling. She rubbed her eyes. Then her vision was clear. She sat up and stretch her legs. She touched the ring on her finger and stared at it. A small smile drew across her lips. She stood up and head to her bathroom. Her head aches. She shut her eyes and placed her head in her hands. She lifted her head and opened her eyes. Everything was fine. She went into the bathroom and stared at herself in the mirror.

 

Haneul : What's wrong with me? (she shook her head)

 

Her visions started to blur again. She took her hand and covered her left eye. Her right vision only had glimpse of images. Haneul gasped. The tears in her eyes made it harder for her to see. She dropped her hand. 

 

Haneul : No... (she choked)

 

Haneul's head started spinning again. She dropped to the floor. First she saw blunt images, then just colours. She buried her face in her hands. She looked up and saw.. nothing. Just pitch black. She shut her eyes and opened them. Nothing. She did the same thing over and over until she couldn't even tell difference between them anymore. She panicked. Her head kept aching and her tears won't stop.

 

Haneul : Mom. (she struggle to stand on her feet) Mom! 

 

Haneul walked out of the bathroom, knocking everything in her way. She tripped over her own feet and fell on the floor. 

 

Haneul : Mom.. MOM! (she cried) 

 

Mrs Kim came running into Haneul's room. 

 

Mrs Kim : Haneul? Haneul? 

 

Mrs Kim sat next to Haneul and held her face. Haneul had her eyes open but she was looking at nothing. She, herself, wasn't sure if her eyes were opened or not. Mrs Kim, who was familiar with the situation, hugged her. Haneul was still sobbing when she passed out. 

 

The last thing on her mind...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Woohyun.

 

 

 

 

__________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

Haneul can see again. Not perfectly. But she can see. The drops the doctor gave made Haneul dizzy, but it helped. Haneul sat in between her mother and Woohyun. Woohyun seemed very worried and Mrs Kim looked like she was about to burst out in tears anytime. 

 

Haneul : Lighten up. It can't all be bad. (Woohyun looked away) Have a little faith. (Haneul smiled) Its gonna be fine. We need it. Faith. (she sighed) Let's have a little faith.

 

Then the doctor walked into the room. With a frown on his face and a file in his hands. They stood up and bowed to him. When he sat, so did they. It was quiet for a while. The doctor seemed like he could not put the situation into words. 

 

Haneul : Well?

 

The doctor took a deep breath and,

 

Doctor : The cancer is back.

 

Mrs Kim lowered her head and cried. Woohyun just looked at Haneul. Haneul had no reaction. 

 

Haneul : Oh. (she stood up eagerly, Woohyun studied her movements) Excuse me. Just a moment please. 

 

Haneul half ran to the door and walked out of the room. She sat at the chair by the window. She cried. And cried. Her tears wouldn't stop. All of her dreams, crushed. Her plans, ruined. Her life, gone. She ran her fingers through her hair and took a deep breath. Once she got herself collected, she wiped off her tears, fixed her hair and marched back into the room.

 

Haneul : I'm sorry. (Haneul sat down) What now?

Doctor : Its too late for the treatment. It won't slow it down. Its spreaded too far. 

Mrs Kim : No...no.

Woohyun : There must be a way. There has too. (he shook his head in despair) You don't understand. She's 22!

Haneul : Woohyun...

 

Woohyun looked up and Haneul saw that his eyes started to tear up. She intertwined her fingers between his. 

 

Haneul : How long? (Woohyun looked at her with a shock expression) You know. Till I go blind.

Doctor : A month? If we're lucky. 

 

Woohyun saw that Haneul was holding in her tears. He squeezed her hands harder. 

 

Woohyun : (He stood up which made Haneul stood on her feet) Thank you, Doctor. (he bowed, she followed)

 

The three of them walked out of the room. Woohyun refuse to let go of Haneul's hand. 

 

Mrs Kim : I'll have a word with the doctor. (Mrs Kim slowly walked back into the room)

 

Woohyun hugged Haneul all of a sudden. His grip was firm and Haneul felt so small in his arms. She knew why he did that. He wants her to cry. In his arms. 

 

Woohyun : Go on. (he pushed her to his chest) I'm here.

 

Tears came rolling down her face. After one came another. She was out of breath, she couldn't stop crying. She was choking on her own words. She buried her face into Woohyun's chest. Woohyun lowered his head and placed it on her shoulders.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He too cried.