Turtles & Tigers

Memories

 

    I don't like this floor. The people here are crazy. Yes, the patients on my own floor are all quite out of their minds, but at least they're reasonably calm about it. Leeteuk thinks he's emperor of the world, but he won't try and have you executed if you leave him be. Donghae is king of the sea, but I know how to work around his brand of crazy. Bow to him ever once in a while and ask how the little mermaid is doing, and he's perfectly easy to get along with. Eunhyuk is a sweet kid and his delusions are relatively harmless. So what if he calls me Mr. Cat, or Princess. I can deal with a couple strange nicknames.
 

   The people on the third floor are a completely different case. These patients are violent, reclusive, and just overall creepy. The activity room, which is normally full of life on my own floor, was completely empty. Currently, as I sit in the center of the activity room staring at the TV on the wall, there is no one else around. All the tables are free of people, the nurses' desk is deserted and the remote is missing. If I have to watch another hour of the Star King marathon, I may truly go crazy.
 

    "Have you seen my turtle?" a low voice whispers behind me, breaking the relative silence in the room, and causing a chill to run up my spine. "I lost him and I need to find him before he gets into trouble again."
 

    "I haven't seen any turtles, sorry." I answer, turning my attention away from the TV to find a man with messy black hair and a cold gaze standing next to me. He was wearing a pair of white pajamas with green turtles on them, a pair of green turtle slippers and was holding a giant turtle plush toy.
 

    "My name's Yesung," the dark haired man introduces, "And this is Ddangkoma."
 

      "I'm Heechul," I respond, eyeing him suspiciously, the last patient I met on this floor tried to bite me. "That's a turtle. Is that the one you're looking for?"
 

    "No, we lost his brother Ddangkkoming," Yesung answers, hugging his plush toy tighter. "Why are you here? I don't remember seeing you before."
 

    "Dr. Siwon placed me here after he said I had an episode. Normally, I live on the first floor. Where is everyone? I met some guy in the bathroom who thought I was edible, but other than that, I haven't seen anyone; not even a nurse."
 

    "That was Shindong," Yesung explains, taking a set next to me at the table; apparently giving up his search for his lost turtle. "He thinks people are food. He has an eating disorder or something. He tried to eat my turtles once, just like they ate my parents."
 

    "Turtles ate your parents?"
 

    "And, my dog." Yesung nods, looking forlorn. "Though, no one believes me. They all think I did it."
 

     "They think you ate your dog?"
 

     "It's crazy, isn't it? Who would eat a dog?"
 

     "Maybe Shindong?" I joke, finding Yesung surprisingly easy to talk to.
 

     "Maybe," Yesung smiles, "You said you're from the first floor. Do you know Ryeowook? He's a nurse on that floor."
 

     "Yes, I had ice cream with him a couple days ago. Wookie's my personal nurse most days. He takes me on walks." Something about what I said struck a nerve within Yesung, for his eyes narrowed and he suddenly looked pissed off.
 

    "Ryeowook belongs to me. Stay away from him!" Yesung shouts, standing from his chair and hitting me over the head with his stuffed turtle.
 

    "You did not just assault me with a turtle!" I shout, covering my head as the insane turtle man hits me over and over with his plush toy. The blows didn't hurt, but they kept coming and were accompanied by unintelligent shouts. "Help! I'm being beaten by a toy! Is there anyone on this ty floor?!"
 

     "Kim Jongwoon, stop that!" a new voice shouts, it's high timbre letting me know it was my nurse come to save me.
 

    "Wookie-ah!" Yesung calls out, ceasing his tirade in favor of running to the petite nurse on the other side of the room. "Are you here to visit me?"
 

    "No, I'm here to take care of my patient. I'm still his nurse, even when he's on a different floor. Why were you beating up my charge?"
 

    "He said you take him on walks and eat ice cream together. You never take me outside or bring me ice cream. Are you dating him behind my back?" Yesung whines.
 

     "Eunhyuk told me you were sleeping with some weird turtle person. I see now it was true." I accuse with a wild laugh my nurse as Yesung kisses the petite man on the cheek. "Are all the nurses sleeping with the patients?"
 

      "It's not funny, Hyung." Ryeowook frowns at me. "Jongwoon's very fragile, please don't ?"
 

     "What is this floor, Ryeowook-ssi? I was just beaten by a turtle and some fat guy tried to eat me."
 

     "He met Shindong," Yesung clarifies, "Also, Ddangkkoming is missing."
 

     "Your turtle's in your room. I saw him on your bed." Ryeowook informs, "Go tend to him and I'll come visit you later."
 

     "I won't leave you alone with him. You're cheating on me."
 

     "I am not," Ryeowook argues, "Heechul hyung is my patient and that is all. I promise there's nothing going on between us. He's actually dating a monkey."
 

     "I remember monkey," Yesung nods, "He was nice to me. Then, they moved him downstairs and I don't get to see him anymore."
 

      "Go to your room, Jongwoon."
 

     "Fine," Yesung pouts, before retreating down the hallway dragging his turtle plush behind him.
 

     "Sorry, he's sensitive." Ryeowook apologizes to me as he crosses the room and takes a seat at the table. "This floor his dangerous. You need to be more careful what you say to people."
 

      "Dangerous how?"
 

     "This is where the hospital keeps the combative and criminal cases. You don't see anyone roaming the hallways because they're kept locked in their rooms most of the time. Jongwoon is one of the tamer ones, so he gets to walk free most days. I'm surprised they let Shindong out."
 

     "Why am I on the violent floor? I'm not violent."
 

     "You were this morning. Siwon hyung's punishing you a bit. Sorry, about that."
 

     "Yesung mention Hyukjae. How does he know him?"
 

     "Eunhyuk was placed on this floor when he was first brought here. He was quite distraught after...,"
 

     "After what?" I probe, wanting to know more about my roommate. "Why is Hyukjae here?"
 

     "He thinks people are zoo animals, that's way."
 

    "You know what I meant."
 

    "I do, and I can't discuss other patients with you."
 

    "But, you can sleep with them." I point out, tiered of the whole patient confidentiality shtick. "I'm living with this man, and he's in love with me, so I deserve to know what's wrong with him."
 

    "You just figure out what's wrong with yourself, and leave Eunhyuk's case to the doctors."
 

     "I know what's wrong with me, Ryeowook-ssi." I inform, trying to not out right say I'm not insane. If someone figured that out, I'd be out on the street and back in the real world. "Please, I need to know why he thinks everyone's an animal."
 

     "Maybe he likes animals?"
 

     "You're making me angry," I frown, trying to play my crazy card and possibly intimidate an answer from him. "Tell me, or I'll bite you."
 

     "Threatening me will only get you locked away up here longer." Ryeowook states firmly, "If you want to know more about Eunhyuk's past, ask him. Like you, he needs to confess a few things and come to terms with his life. It may do you both some good."
 

     "I can't ask him. I'm trapped on the murderer floor."
 

     "Did Jongwoon tell you something?" Ryeowook askes, seeming a bit panicked. "I know everyone thinks he murdered his parents and ate his dog, but it's not true."
 

     "You don't really believe turtles did it, do you? Because, if you do, I think you need to be committed as well."
 

      "No," Ryeowook states flatly as he produces a cup of pills from inside his shirt pocket. "It's time for your meds."
 

     "I'm not taking them," I shake my head. If I took those pills, they would turn me crazy. At no time during the moths I've been here have I taken anything willingly. I'm not crazy. I don't need medicine.
 

    "Hyung please," Ryeowook beggs, "I'll get in trouble if you don't take them."
 

     "Throw them away and pretend that I did."
 

     "There are cameras, and that's unethical."
 

     "Do the cameras see you taking it from the turtle freak? That's unethical too, you know?"
 

      "Hyung, please?"
 

      "Tell me about Hyukjae and I may consider it." I lied. Though, I wanted to know about my roommate, I wasn't about to poison myself for the information.
 

      "Fine, but if anyone asks you who told you this, Eunhyuk did, understand?"
 

      "Yes."
 

      "Eunhyuk's parents died ten years ago," Ryeowook begins to explained, glancing about to make sure we were truly alone.
 

     "Ten years? He must have been a child."
 

     "Eunhyuk was fifteen when his parents died. He couldn't handle it and his mind cracked. He's been in and out of facilities ever since. He's been here since before I started working here."
 

     "How did his parents die?"
 

     "First, you'd have to know about his family history." Ryeowook begins, "Eunhyuk's parents were wildlife photographers. Him and and sister traveled the world with them. He's been to almost every country in Africa."
 

     "That explains the animal obsession," I nod, understanding my roommate's fascination in the context of his childhood.
 

     "His parents were killed on an assignment to photograph tigers in the wild. Poor thing saw everything."
 

      "What happened to his sister?"
 

      "She was injured protecting Eunhyuk from the tiger that killed her parents. From what I know, she's fine now, but she never visits him. She blames him for what happened."
 

     "Why would she blame him? It sounds like an accident to me."
 

     "That's what I don't know. Eunhyuk also feels like it was his fault, but he won't say why, or even talk about the event with anyone. Maybe, you can get him to talk? He seems to like you a lot."
 

     "He loves me, at least according to him." I admit, tapping my chin in thought. "He said I was his princess and he wanted to be my prince."
 

     "You're the first person he's ever addressed as a human being. That means something." Ryeowook nods, pushing the cut of pills towards me and standing up. "I'm going to get you some water, and then you need to take your meds."
 

     As soon as Nurse Wookie disappeares from site, I swipe the cup of brightly colored pills off the table and glance about for a place to hide them. I'd become an expert at hiding my meds and this was no different than the hundreds of times I'd done so. Hearing a door shut down the hall and the sound of approaching footsteps, I yank open my hospital gown and dump the pills down my underwear. Surely, Wookie won't look there.
 

    "Where's your meds?" Ryeowook asks, placing a cut of water on the table in front of me.
 

     "I swallowed them already."
 

     "You didn't hide them, did you?"
 

      "No, I took them like I promised." I smile innocently. "Don't worry."
 

      "He dumped them in his underwear," a new voice informs, causing us both to flinch and turn towards the sound.
 

     A dark haired man with tanned skin and a bright smile is standing in the corner next to a fake plant. He is dressed in a hospital gown like I was, and his feet are bare. Ryeowook looks at him with wide eyes, as if he didn't expect to see him there.
 

     "How long have you been there?" I ask the man, a bit angry that I had been spied on.
 

      "A few hours. I like hiding behind this plant. It's quite here."
 

      "Kibum, you need to go back to your room. You're not supposed to be out." Ryeowook states, choosing his words carefully.
 

      "I like it here. I'm not going back to my room. If you try and make me, I'll hurt you."
 

      "We should go," Ryeowook whisperes to me, "Kibum's unstable."
 

     "Aren't we all unstable?"
 

     "He stabbed a nurse in the neck with a pencil once because she told him to go to sleep. He's not supposed to be let out of his room."
 

      "Oh," I nod as I stand from the table, not wanting to get involved in a stabbing.
 

     As soon as I'm on my feet, tiny plinking sounds echo throughout the empty room. Glancing down at the floor, I am provided with the site of brightly colored pills against the white tiled floor.
 

     "I told you he hid them," Kibum smirks, before moving back behind his favorite fake plant and disappearing from site.