A kiss

Memories

We used to love during the many days we were together
We used to hurt together- making each other’s pain our own

Where are you? Can’t you hear my voice?
My pained heart is looking for you
Is calling out to you- crazily



    The apartment is quiet as I enter. My feet are aching from a stressful day in the shop. All I want to do is fall into my boyfriend’s arms and sleep my exhaustion away. As I tiredly kick the door shut, a noise draws my attention. I can hear voices down the hall, one of which does not belong to Hannie. Moving towards the voices, I find myself standing in front of our bedroom. The door’s cracked and I can see a glimpse of the bed on the other side.

 

     “Hannie?” My voice is soft and hesitant as I push open the door and step inside, the sight before me freezing me in my tracks. “Hannie!!!”
     
    
“Heechul-ah, wake up!” Eunhyuk’s voice shatters my dream. “You’re screaming.”
 

     “What happened,” My voice is weak as I try to sit up, but fail miserably. For some reason, I’m unable to move my arms. “Where am I?”
 

    “They locked us up on the third floor,” Eunhyuk explains as he lays next to me, staring with worried eyes. “You freaked out, Heechul-ah. They thought you were going to hurt yourself.”
 

    “Oh,” I answer, glancing about to find we were indeed lying in a padded room, bound in straightjackets like a couple Hannibal Lectors. “Why are you here?”
 

    “I bit the dragon before he could burn you with his fire.” Eunhyuk smiles proudly, “Dr. Horse didn’t like that much and tried to pull me away from the dragon, so I bit him too.”
 

    “Hyukjae, you can’t just bite people like that. Especially if one of them is dead. How many times do I have to tell you Hannie’s gone?”
 

    “He’s not gone. Nurse Bunny is doctoring his hand downstairs.” Eunhyuk informs, “Apparently, he burst in unannounced and demanded to see you. That’s a first. Most of the time Dr. Horse has to court order Mr. Dragon to visit you. I wonder what changed?”
 

    “Stop it!” I shriek, Hyukjae’s words confusing me. “Hannie’s dead! He can’t be downstairs!!”
 

     “Fine, he’s dead if that makes you feel better.” Eunhyuk frowns as he scoots closer to me, so that our faces are only a few centimeters apart. “But, why do you think you killed the dragon? You’re not a knight, you can’t slay dragons, hyung.”
 

    “How would you know if I’m a knight or not, you’re crazy? Last week you thought I was a cat.” The words leaving my mouth may have been too harsh, for a hurt look formed on Hyukjae’s innocent face. “Hyukjae, I’m sorry..,”
 

    “I’m not crazy!” Hyukjae shouts in my face, tears leaking from his eyes. “I thought you understood me. No one else understands. You’re supposed to be like me. We’re a matched pair, just like Umma and Appa were before….,”
 

     “Before what?” I ask as Hyukjae shuts his eyes and shakes his head as if to get rid of a bad memory. “Did something bad happen to your parents.”
 

    “I don’t want to talk about it.” Eunhyuk answers, worming his way closer to me and laying his head on my shoulder. “You’re mean, Heechul-ah.”
 

     “I’m sorry I called you crazy.”
 

    “It’s ok. You’re crazier than I am, anyway.”
 

    “But, I’m not crazy.” I admit, seeing no harm in telling Hyukjae my secret. No one would believe him if he told on me anyway. “I’m only pretending to be crazy so I can escape from the pain of loosing Hannie. I’m lying.”
 

    “No, you’re crazy.” Eunhyuk argues. “But, it’s ok. I still love you.”
 

    “Hyukjae, I’m really not crazy.”
 

     “You don’t have to lie to me, hyung.” Eunhyuk smiles as he tilts his head and places a soft kiss on my lips. “I’ll be here for you, even if you believe you killed your boyfriend.”
 

     “But, I did kill him.” My voice is faint and my lips are tingling from Hyukjae’s kiss. I haven’t been kissed by anyone since Hannie died and I’d forgotten how nice it felt.
 

     “Why?”
 

     “I can’t remember,” And it was the truth. Something inside me told me that Hannie had died and it had been my fault, but I can’t remember how or why.
 

    "Did the mean dragon hurt you, Heechul-ah?" Eunhyuk whispers, his lips once again coming closer to mine. "Did he hurt the princess?"
 

    "Now I'm a princess?"
 

    "You're pretty like a princess and you were stolen away by a dragon." Eunhyuk reasons, "Can I be you prince?"
 

    "I thought you were a monkey?"
 

    "I'm a man," Eunhyuk answers me in a low voice. "And you're my princess."
 

    Before I am able to react, Eunhyuk's lips are pressed against my own in a closed mouth kiss. This is the first time I'd allowed Hyukjae to kiss me and I only do so now because I am unable to move away. After a moment of pressed lips, Eunhyuk moves back a centimeter to take a breath, before moving back in to continue the exchange. This time I allow him to part my lips with his tongue and kiss him back.
 

    My heart begins to race as we kiss, and all the pain and confusion starts to melt away. This is the first kiss I've shared with anyone since Hannie's death, and it didn't feel like I was betraying his memory. Instead, I feel at peace, and all thoughts of my deceased lover are a distant haze in the back of my mind. Kissing Eunhyuk felt oddly right.
 

    "I didn't lock you two up so you could make out," Dr. Choi's voice sounds as he stepps into the room.
 

   "The princess was sad, so I kissed it better." Eunhyuk smiles as he pulls away from me.
 

    "Princess?" Siwon repeats with raised brows.
 

    "Apparently, I'm a princess now." I chuckle, "Can I get up now. I think the straightjacket it a bit much for my condition. I don't plan on hurting anyone."
 

    "It's precaution, that's all. You had a very violent episode downstairs, Mr. Kim. I think a few days in a quiet room will do you good."
 

    "When it's quiet I think about Hannie. I don't want to think about Hannie." I shake my head, honestly fearful of too much alone time. I came to this place to be distracted, not dwell on my painful life.
 

    "Alright," Siwon nods, "I'll let you out of this room, but I think it's best you stay on this floor for a while. Going back downstairs may be a bit of a shock to you."
 

    "Why?"
 

   "Just trust me," Siwon dismisses my question as he kneels down and begins undoing mine and Eunhyuk's restraints. "Hyukjae, you may go back to your room."
 

    "I don't want to go back without Heechul-ah," Eunhyuk pouts, sitting up once he was freed. "He needs me."
 

    "I'm sorry, Hyukjae." Siwon denies, as Nurse Sungmin stepps into the room. "You have to go back downstairs."
 

    "NO!" Eunhyuk shouts, "I have to stay with Heechul!"
 

   "I'll be fine, Eunhyuk-ah." I reassure my roommate, climbing to my feet once I am freed from the jacket. "If you fight them, they'll tie you up again. Go back downstairs."
 

    "Are you sure?" Eunhyuk pouts.
 

    "Yes, go with Nurse Bunny."
 

    "Alright," Eunhyuk agrees as he places a goodbye kiss on my lips. "Be careful."
 

    "He adores you," Siwon comments once Eunhyuk iss gone. "This relationship is doing his mental stat a lot of good."
 

   "We're not in a relationship,"
 

   "Whatever you do, don't tell Hyukjae that." Siwon instructs, "Sit down, Heechul. We need to talk about what happened."
 

    "What happened?" I ask, honestly not sure what Siwon was asking me.
 

    "What do you remember?"
 

    "I remember group therapy and walking with Zhoumi. Then, I woke up here."
 

    "You do not remember seeing HanGeng?"
 

    "Hannie's dead, so no."
 

    "I see," Siwon states, standing up. "You have free run of this floor. Just don't wonder into the other patient's rooms. They may not like it."
 

    "Can I ask you a questioned?"
 

   "You can ask me anything you want." Siwon agrees as we exit the room and step out into the hallway.
 

    "What happened to Eunhyuk's parents?"
 

    "Why, did he say something to you?"
 

    "Not really. He started to say something and then got upset."
 

    "I'm not allowed to discuss patient records with you, sorry."
 

    "Did his parents die, like Hannie?"
 

    "No, HanGeng and Hyukjae's parents are two different cases."
 

    "So, they're alive?"
 

    "No," Siwon answers, letting that small bit of information slip. "Be on your way, Heechul. I'll come get you tomorrow for the meeting."
 

    "What meeting?"
 

    "I've scheduled a supervised visit with HanGeng. Your reaction today was a clear sign of regression. I think a therapy session with him will do you well."
 

    "Hannie's dead. Stop talking like he's not. You sound crazy."