The Hwangs

The Haunted Mansion
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

------------------------

 

 “Hey open up, you guys! This isn’t funny!” You twisted and pulled on the door knob, only to realize it was already locked.

“It’s no use, Minnie.” Luhan called, making you turn to him. “They wouldn’t let us out either.” You let go of the door knob and paced back and forth, rubbing your temple.

“How long do they plan to keep us here?” You asked. “Dunno.” Luhan shrugged. You noticed that Sehun was awfully quiet, so you looked at him. He was staring at you from head to toe with his mouth slightly open. “What?”  You asked irritatingly, snapping him back to reality. “I just…” Sehun stuttered. “I’ve never seen you in a dress before.” He looked away, scratching the back of his head in embarrassment. You looked down at your dress. It was true that you wore them very rarely. In fact, you only did when Tiffany asked you to. She was barely home though, and wearing dresses was always her little request for you whenever she was. Tiffany considered you as the sister she never had, so she liked dressing you up.

 

 

But now wasn’t the time to think about that. You rolled your eyes and dismissed the thought. “Well, what do they want us to do here?” You asked again. “Beats me. But knowing them, I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t let us out without doing something… funny.” Luhan answered before clearing his throat nervously. You immediately got what he meant by ‘funny’. Your eyes widened in shock.

 

 

Alarmed by your reaction, Sehun began waving his hand frantically saying “No, no! We’ll never do anything like that to you, Minnie! Right, Hyung?” he nudged Luhan.

 

“Tch. Duh?” Luhan scoffed. You let out a sigh of relief. Your eyes started wandering around the big room. You couldn’t help but admire its majesty. The flickering orange light that the fireplace offered the room, plus the blue moonlight beaming through the windows added to the room’s timeless beauty. It felt like a trip to 1912 just standing in the middle of the room. It was old fashioned, but in a really nice way.

 

“Pretty cool, huh?” Sehun said as both of them watched you trace the marble carvings on the edges of the fireplace with your fingers. You were too mesmerized by its beauty to utter a sound, so you just nodded your head. You let your eyes wander, and they finally landed on the big portrait of a beautiful woman hanging on top of the fireplace. She looked Korean, but you weren’t so sure since she looks a bit foreign too. “Who’s that?” you asked softly.

“Oh that’s Lady Hyoyeon.” Sehun answered. “The 4th generation ‘princess’ of the Hwangs.” He said, drawing quotation marks in the air when he said princess.

“4th generation?” You asked further.

Sehun nodded before continuing with his story. “The Hwangs have this thing about having only one daughter every generation. Not that they do it on purpose though. It just happens like that, strangely enough. Look at Tiffany for example. She has like, what 3 brothers? She’s the only girl.” He said, wagging a finger to illustrate his point. You mouthed an “O” in amusement. Sehun never fails to amaze you with his detailed stories about your hometown’s history.

 

“That’s right.” Luhan continued as he stood up, dusting off the back of his pants with his hands. He took a steel rod, crouched next to the fireplace and started poking on the firewood. “There’s more to the story though.” he said, looking at you and Sehun with a serious face. You propped yourself down at the carpet with the two brothers, a smile growing on your face. “This is getting interesting.” You thought. Luhan held back a laugh. He found it funny how stories like this always caught your whole attention.

 

“As you already know, the Hwangs’ are the founders of this town. It’s been about nine generation

Please log in to read the full chapter