The Search

The Haunted Mansion
Please log in to read the full chapter

A little longer for you guys ^^;;; sorry to have kept you waiting XDDD I SINCERELY LOVE EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU FOR STICKING AROUND TT^TT

 

and HURRAH to new subscribers~!!! ♥♥♥ I can't believe I reached 99 with this story. When I'm such a lazy-@ss loser =______= WHY DO I KEEP GETTING THINGS I DON'T DESERVE? ;_____; I'M SO THANKFUL I'M GONNA CRY TT_____TT

 

 

---

 

Luhan and Kai pushed the heavy front doors open. The rest of the team stepped into the mansion.

 

"Can someone remind me again how I got myself into this?" Xiumin's voice echoed through the empty lobby. "I mean, if you were to pick out half of the team to go here, you should've gotten someone like Chanyeol or Kris. I'm pretty useless when it comes to these sorts of things." He continued complaining as the others only rolled their eyes.

 

Baekhyun pulled Xiumin closer and whispered. "We don't have the time nor the luxury to complain, Hyung. What matters is we have to stop this. We're the only ones who can."

 

"Yeah, sure. Say that to someone who doesn't have any problem with what we're coming back here for."

 

"As long as I can get away from weird Tiffany, I'm all good." Chen stated, almost shivering at the mention of Tiffany's name.

 

Only six out of the gang were sent back to the mansion. There were only Luhan, Kai, Chen, Baekhyun, D.O. and Xiumin. Luhan insisted that all of you didn't need to go back, and so he only needed five more people to come along with him.

 

---

"I'm coming with you." Said Tao as he raised his hand.

"Can I come along?" Baekhyun added

"Oh, pick me! pick me!" Sehun joined in.

 

"This isn't a game, you guys." You said as you shushed the boys. "Let's all try to be serious for once."
 

"But I AM serious." Sehun pouted.

 

Luhan kept his curious stare on TIffany the entire time. He wondered if she was going to fall out of consciousness again any time soon, like she had been doing lately. He wondered if it really was a good idea to trust her. He wondered if all of this was going to end.

 

Tiffany had her eyes glued to Chen the moment she saw him. This made Chen feel very uneasy, so he retreated to fiddling with his phone. It didn't stop her from staring though, making Chen finally turn his back on her.

 

She sensed Luhan looking at her, and in return looked back at him. Neither of them had any plans on looking away. The room gradually felt quieter as the building tension between them was felt by everybody.

 

"I want answers." He said suddenly.

"Ask." She answered.

Luhan jerked his head to the side, making his neck crack. He gave her a slight smirk, and she mentally commended him for being a smart, careful young lad.

 

"First things first. Where's Sunny?" He began.

"I compelled her to sleep until we are finished with this conversation." She answered.

"So how do we know you haven't compelled us to believe in everything you say?" He continued.

"Why don't you ask yourself?" The witch replied. "Would you be asking me these questions if you were completely under my control?" Another long silence followed. Luhan started pacing around the living room, eyes locked on her. None of you and your friends dared to interfere.

 

"Tiffany has a baby, yes?" He asked. She nodded. "Where is it?"

"She took it."

"I've heard that already. I wanna know where it was taken and who SHE is."

 

"She who is forever bound with me to this curse. She who for generations already I've been meaning to stop."

 

"Jospehine." Kai whispered loud enough for everyone to hear. All eyes widened at the statement.

 

Luhan kept himself composed. He had learned not to get surprised by anything anymore. "What does she want with it?" He continued asking. The witch hesitated for a moment as everyone leaned in closer for an answer.

 

"Eternal life." She answered dimly.

 

"What?" Kris asked. "What does a baby have to do with the curse?"

 

It took a little while before the witch could answer. She had trouble choosing her words in fear that it would lead to mistrust. But then again, through the ages, she had lived her life being mistrusted by people. It was merely punishment for cheating on nature's law of life and death.

 

"Through generations, she had used her descendants, the Hwang princesses to fulfill her longing for eternal life. Before a female newborn's first birthday, a ritual has to take place.

 

"She needed three things. First, a woman's body; the mother's, which would serve as her spirit's temple for the rest of her eternity. Second, a witch's blood; my blood, which has been dwelling in the Hwangs' veins for generations. And finally, a baby's last breath; the baby must be of the family, and must be female. Because this symbolizes fertility. Thus, it serves as an ingredient to renew and preserve her existence, that she may live forever."

 

"According to your story," D.O. chimed in, "She was only able to drink half of the blood from the chalice that night."

 

"Correct." The witch agreed. "Which is why she only comes back every generation when a Hwang gives birth to a baby girl. It is a curse she has to live with for only drinking half of the chalice's content. Every generation, she uses this as a chance for her to finish the ritual and once and for all gain eternal life."

 

"And then there's you, who would also rise from the dead with her, since you drank the rest of it. You are practically her other half now." Sehun continued for her, and she nodded.

 

"And every time," Luhan added. "You attempted to kill both you and her, by possessing the body of a Hwang princess, and committing suicide." She replied only with nods of the head.

 

"But then how come this never worked out? You keep coming back every generation to do this. It only became an endless cycle." Suho threw in.

 

"Wouldn't it be because only one of the three pillars of the ritual is detroyed every single time?" You reasoned.

 

"What do you mean?" Tao asked.

 

"A baby, a woman's body, and the witch's blood." You explained your theory further. "Every generation, when the cycle would start again, the mother of a newborn Hwang princess commits suicide. This would leave behind the baby, which is still alive, and the witch's blood, which still runs through the baby's veins, since she would still be Lady Josephine's descendant." You faced the witch, asking her to confirm your guess. "That still leaves you with 2 out of 3 problems to worry about."

 

"Exactly."

"So why haven't you killed Tiffany?" You asked.

"Lady Tiffany is the only Hwang princess who was fully aware of the curse. She knew of her fate, and of the day I would come to possess her. Hence, even if I'm controlling her moves, she is still fully conscious inside this body, and hears everything we talk about. She acknowledges my presence, and is willing to work together to put an end to this curse. We have discussed this before, and she knows what we have to do. We have to try another solution."

 

"So how do you propose we do that?" Chanyeol asked, getting impatient with all the chatter.

 

Silence enveloped the room once again, as the witch gave all of you the liberty to think to put the pieces of the puzzle together. It was merely too hard for both her and Tiffany to say it themselves.

 

Finally, a light went off above Lay's head. His eyes searched the floor for other possible answers. Because as he discovered the answer himself, he too couldn't bring himself to say it.

 

But he had to, and neither you, nor anyone else in the room liked the words that escaped his lips.

 

"W-we have to kill the baby..."

 

---

 

"Let's split up." D.O.'s eyes widened at Luhan's proposal.

 

"A-are you sure we have to do that?" He chuckled nervously. "We can go all together -- "

 

"It's too time consuming." Kai said. "The mansion's too big."

"A-are you even sure you want to kill a baby?"<

Please log in to read the full chapter