Thing That Hasn't Changed

Story Dedicated To...

 

Starring: Dara Park, Lee Sungmin, Kim Yesung

 

A story dedicated to my unnie, the very first person I befriended here on AFF. She gave me a nickname which I totally adore. She loves tragedy in stories as much as I do and she LOLed so hard on Wedding Bells. And yay, please visit her debut fic, Dark Chocolate.

 

P.S. Unnie, mianhe for making your request like only now. I’m currently on vacation, and I can’t think of anything else besides that quail egg covered with orange-colored dough. Hope you like it though…the story, not the quail egg. :3



 

I stood at the train platform, smiling to myself as I waited for the next train to come. Giving a glance to the large digital clock on my left side, I sighed when I saw that I still have to endure fifteen minutes of anticipation.

 

Fifteen minutes felt like three years.

 

Three years.

 

For three stinking years, the government has taken away one of the people I loved the most. The two-year mandatory army duty was already more than I could take, but they had to send him to China to continue it for one more year. They didn’t even let him say goodbye to us in person. He just sent me a letter explaining that he’d be extending his undertaking. Guess the two-year stay made him more matured than he was before.



 

I remember standing on the same train station three years ago, with my childhood friend on the verge of tears. I was laughing at him back then, trying my very best to give a proper consolation, but I only ended up laughing.

 

“For a best friend who’s going to lose her other half, you seem so carefree. How could you laugh at me like that, Park Dara?” he asked me, his voice feigning hurt.

 

How can’t I? His dark brown eyes were all misty and he looked more of a ten-year old kid rather than a full-grown man. I stopped laughing once he cutely pouted his lips and looked at me with his puppy-like eyes.

 

I really hate it when he uses his cute side of him, because he knows I’m a er for it. “Lee Sungmin, aegyo won’t work on me,” I lied. It already did but I won’t let him have the satisfaction of knowing it. But I guess living with someone your whole life has its disadvantages. They could easily predict you and know when you are lying. He smugly smiled at me and I realized I just gave myself away.

 

Stupid Sungmin. Getting all smug…and cocky…and cute. How could a man look so cute? That’s so unfair. Girls are the only ones who are supposed to be cute, but here he is, making it look so effortless.

 

My silent ranting was interrupted when he snapped his fingers in front of my face, saying, “Hello? Earth to Dara. Are you still there or what?” I frowned at him and slapped his hand away. He only laughed at me as I fixed his starched camouflage uniform.

 

At that time, I still couldn’t believe that the person I grew up with would finally join the army. It seemed to me that it was only yesterday when we were kids, playing in the fields teeming with flowers, catching bugs, having no care in the world.

 

Sungmin and I were both seven years old when we learned that men in Korea have to go to army when they reach legal age. He was frowning the whole time after that. I tried to change his mood by bringing him to our special place, a tree on top of a hill that overlooked our village.

 

“It’s for our country, Sungmin. You should be proud,” I said. He only puffed his cheeks and I thought he was going to have an outburst, but he just kept mum. I poked his cheek, trying to get some reaction from him, but he was being too stubborn. I frowned at him and asked, “Why are you so angry?”

 

“I’m not angry,” he replied.

 

“Right,” I said sarcastically. “You’ve been like that since Kim-ahjussi told us about the military thing. What’s up with that?”

 

He glanced at me before shifting his gaze at the view before us. “If I go to army, then I would have to leave this place and you. I don’t want to leave you. I wanted to stay by your side forever. That’s why I’m so angry.”

 

My reverie was broken when he said wistfully, “You remember what I told you back then? When we were seven? At the hill?” I nodded. “I meant that, you know. That’s why I’m feeling really sad right now.”

 

I smiled as he said those words. He never forgot, just like I did. I remember planting a peck on his lips back then. This time, I leaned to kiss him full on the lips and said, “Don’t be. When you come back, I’ll be here waiting for you.” I saw him smile after that. That was the last time we touched each other.

 

And that was three years ago.



 

I gave another glance at the clock and this time it said that I only have to wait for three more minutes. A slight tap on my shoulder made me look back and I smiled at the young man with curly black locks and an engaging smile.

 

“Is he here yet?” he asked as he gave me one of the smoothies he was holding. I shook my head as I reached for it. He grinned at me and said, “Should I be jealous of him?”

 

I smiled as I took a sip of my drink. “Very.”

 

He clicked his tongue and sighed. “Why? Is he cute?”

 

I laughed at his query. I paused before saying, “Are you kidding me? He’s the aegyo king.”

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

Three years.

 

Letters and pictures she sent me that time were carefully preserved, just like the memories we had. And those mementos only made me miss her more. Those three years in camp heightened my longing to see the person that mattered to me the most other than my family.

 

Park Dara.

 

Dara.

 

Bright and cheerful Dara.

 

I still can’t believe I would see, touch, feel her again.

 

The last time we saw each other was painful for me. It felt like the end of the world. That may be an exaggeration but it was also the truth.

 

That wistful day, I was wearing that rough camouflage uniform the government sent me, along with the black army boots and brown army cap. I was shaking back then and was trying really hard not to cry. I felt like crying but I don’t want her to worry. I looked at the girl who was standing with me at the platform, clutching her stomach from too much laughing.

 

She was wearing the white cotton sundress I bought her for her birthday, paired with cream-colored flat shoes, and a white sunhat to match. I tried to feel anger, but that emotion towards her was impossible. It’s just impossible to be angry with her.

 

“For a best friend who’s going to lose her other half, you seem so carefree. How could you laugh at me like that, Park Dara?” I asked, trying to sound hurt.

 

She stopped laughing when I did my signature aegyo move—puckered lips and puppy dog eyes. I know she’s a er for it. Many times, I made her do something she doesn’t want by doing that move. It worked every time.

 

“Lee Sungmin, aegyo won’t work on me,” she stated.

 

I saw her blush. That’s when I knew she’s lying. She’s so transparent. Well, at least for me. And living with her for so long made me know everything about her. Yes, even minute details she herself doesn’t know. I smugly smiled at her and saw that she was thinking in deep concentration.

 

Dara-yah, what are you thinking?

 

I snapped my fingers before her face. “Hello? Earth to Dara. Are you still there or what?” I received a frown from her and she slapped my hand away. I thought she was angry until she reached for the collar of my uniform and started fixing it. I let out a laugh.

 

As she was straightening my attire, I could not help myself but look at her face. Many have already testified that she was a beauty, while I try to refute them. To say that she’s beautiful is an insult. She’s much more than that. She has a good heart, a bubbly personality. And although she’s quirky at times, she’s a friend who’ll always stand by your side no matter what happens.

 

A flashback of when we were kids appeared on my mind. I remembered what I told her back then, back when we first knew of the military arrangement for Korean men.

 

“If I go to army, then I would have to leave this place and you. I don’t want to leave you. I wanted to stay by your side forever. That’s why I’m so angry.”

 

I meant that. Even with our young ages, I seriously meant everything I said that day. I don’t want to leave her. It would break my heart. But who am I kidding? I don’t have a heart anymore. She stole that the moment we first saw each other.

 

I told her about the incident in the hill and prayed that she still remembers it. I was relieved when she gave me a nod. “I meant that, you know. That’s why I’m feeling really sad right now,” I simply said.

 

She beamed at me and did the last thing I expected her to do. She kissed me on my lips. I felt shy, but it brought a smile to my face.

 

When the train came, I wished she didn’t kiss me…

 

…because it made me miss her already.

 

I looked outside the train window and the once familiar place looked unfamiliar to me. A lot of things changed. New buildings, new sights. But I know one person who hasn’t changed since I left.

 

Her.

 

The train slowed to a stop and I stood up from my seat, heading to the door. When it opened, I was among the first ones who stepped out. I scanned the area and my heart fell when I didn’t see her.

 

I was sadly making my way through the bustling crowd when someone from behind covered my eyes. Even without turning, I already knew who owned that pair of soft hands.

 

“Sungmin-ah, I missed you!” Dara exclaimed once I turned around. We both hugged each other and I smiled, savoring the feel of her against my arms.

 

She hasn’t changed at all. She’s still fun, bubbly, hyperactive girl I always knew. Nothing much changed. She didn’t even age.

 

We finally let go of each other and I said, “How have you been?” The last letter from her didn’t say much; she just said that a lot of things changed in our village and she has a surprise for me.

 

“Fine. I’m good. I feel good,” she said with a smile. I saw someone from behind her, looking intently at us. She followed the line of my gaze and to my surprise, she motioned the guy to come forward. We greeted each other awkwardly and Dara said, “Sungmin, this is Yesung, my boyfriend. Yesung, this is Sungmin, the aegyo king.”

 

We both laughed at her introduction. It was weird, one of her quirks, but it’s what I loved about her. I wonder if it was also the reason Yesung loved her.

 

She’s right. I was surprised. A lot of things have changed.

 

Although much has changed, one thing hasn’t.

 

My best friend will always be my first love.

 

And first heartbreak.