Where We Stand

Story Dedicated To...

 

Starring: Dara Park, Nichkhun Horvejkul

 

A story dedicated to the observant friend who saw Nichkhun looking at Dara after 2NE1’s performance for I am the Best. LOL.


 

 

“You know, you two look really cute together.”

 

“Why haven’t you ever gone out with him?”

 

“Well, I think he’s cute. Definite boyfriend material.”

 

“If you don’t like him, send him this way! Give the rest of us a chance!”

 

 

“Dara-yah, are you even listening to me?” A deep masculine voice penetrated the daydream.

 

“Huh? What…I’m sorry, what were you saying?” I shook my head to clear the fog and looked across the table where my bestfriend in the whole world, Nichkhun, was trying in vain to eat the Korean beef rice we ordered. He looked up to me and laughed.

 

“I said, I don’t think I’ll ever get the hang of these things,” he repeated, and gave it one more shot. He looked like he was in pain as he tried to jab the rice with a spoon. The bowl flung backwards, hitting his face and covering him with rice and beef strips. I covered my mouth to keep my rice from coming out along with my laughter.

 

He looks down at his shirt, which received most of the wasted food, and burst out laughing. I swallowed my mouthful and giggled along with him, trying to keep my voice down so we don’t disturb the others in the restaurant.

 

I reached into his bag, leaned against the table leg, and grabbed his camera. I quickly snapped a picture of the scene, and then wrapped a cloth napkin around my index finger and dipped it in my water.

 

“Here, lean forward.” I reached out and gently wiped the mess from his face and shirt. He thanked me with a smile, and I suddenly froze.

 

“How could you be so blind?”

 

“He’s a doll. He adores you!”

 

The voices of my friends returned, and this time I listened.

 

“He’s perfect! You were made for each other.”

 

“You can’t tell me that you don’t see it.”

 

And suddenly, I did see. The way his hair curls on his forehead, his eyes twinkle and his cheek dimples when he laughs, and the way he was looking at me, so concerned, talking to me, shaking my shoulder.

 

“Dara, snap out of it!” I shook my head again and he sighed.

 

“Aigoo, for a moment I thought aliens out your brains or something,” he said, smiling. He waited for my laugh, and hearing none, frowned. “What’s wrong with you? You seem so distracted tonight.”

 

I tried to take a deep breath, but my chest felt heavy with my revelation.

 

“Nothing’s wrong.” I forced myself to grin. “See? I’m fine.”

 

“Good. I have my South East Asian friend back. Let’s go.” He got up from the table and threw down enough bills to cover the check. I pushed down my thoughts and silently followed him out of the door into the cold evening.

 

South East Asian friend. It had been my title since I made that joke during a Strong Heart filming. It turned out that that episode would actually make us friends. We became close friends despite our different label companies. He was really outgoing and he managed to break my shy streak. He was fun and comfortable to be with and I liked it. Formalities were dropped in a matter of months and we now call each other comfortably. Awkward Dara vanished because of Bubbly Nichkhun.

 

“Where are we going?” I asked, the breeze ruffling my hair. It felt annoying, and I reached into the pocket of my jeans for a rubber band to pull it back with, but found none.

 

“Anywhere, everywhere!” Nichkhun was in a good mood, I could tell. “The night is ours for the taking.”

 

“Maybe, but I have a curfew, remember? So do you,” I reminded him, “so if we take the night we have to give it back by twelve.”

 

“Curfew, rules, nothing matters!” He threw his head back, acting stupidly poetic. I laughed in spite of my sudden discomfort and he gazed at me thoughtfully. The look in his eyes told me he’s about to do something crazy. He grabbed me by the hand, and we ran across the street, dodging speeding cars honking in protest. We slowed down as we reached the sidewalk, but he didn’t let go of my hand yet. I was even more uncomfortable, but to him it seemed normal to have my cold hand warming in his.

 

Even though I liked walking with him that way, I wiggled my hand, and he let go. He seemed dejected, and I hooked my arm through his the way we always do, to make him feel better.

 

“So where are we going?” I asked again.

 

“I don’t know, to tell you the truth.” He stared ahead into the night, and continued, “Wherever we end up, I suppose.” He looked at me and smiled cheekily as he said, “A church, maybe?”

 

I slapped his arm playfully and we both laughed. Somehow, him mentioning a church made my heart race and I wondered if he saw me blush. We strolled along in silence, until I spy a huge yacht parked in a slip at the marina.

 

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” I commented, pointing it out to him.

 

“Yeah,” he agreed.

 

I stopped, and he nearly walked out of his shoes. “I’ll race you,” I challenged. He nodded, and I took off.

 

“No fair!” he yelled, and ran after me.

 

Even with the head start, Nichkhun easily passed me in my heels. He trotted down the ramp to the dock, and leaned on the hand rail, resting on one arm, his legs crossed and a cocky smile on his face. He watched me descend after him and smirked as if to say, “I always was faster than you.”

 

“I always was faster than you,” he repeated my thoughts out loud. I got down to his level and was amazed by how much taller than me he seemed now. It’s as if he grew during dinner. We walked slowly towards the yacht, and I admired its length and the lights shining in the twilight. I said so out loud.

 

“Don’t worry, Dara,” Nichkhun stated, turning to glance at me, “someone would buy you one someday.”

 

My laugh was as sharp as a knife in the crisp air. “Who?” I asked sarcastically. “You?” I regretted the words as soon as they came out.

 

“You never know,” he said, his stare piercing through me. I blushed and prayed that the semi-darkness will cover up the color in my cheeks. I could almost see a bright neon sigh flashing above my head, screaming out my feelings to the world, and even though I have an inner hunch that he felt the same, I turned the sigh off. I hanged head down so my chin touched my chest, and once again I was safe from the truth.

 

He turned away, as if hiding his embarrassment as well. When he faced me again, his expression was blank. I adopt the same expressionless stare, with just a hint of attitude, as if to say, “I don’t care about what you just said,” but really to hide the fact that I did.

 

Nichkhun walked past me, wordlessly, and I had to decide whether to follow him. I did. He walked up the ramp, and across the parking lot towards the water. The cool breeze was stirring up tiny waves, and they pounded against the rocks in a smooth rhythm. I longed to call out to Nichkhun, to tell him everything, but I held back. He was walking too fast for me to catch up, and I stopped under a light and watched him go.

 

There was a breakwater of craggy rocks stretching out into the murky wind-whipped ocean. Nichkhun removed his jacket and bag and dropped them on the dirt, where the steady ground changed to uneven stone. He untied his shoes, tucked his shirt out and walked barefoot out onto the rocks. I kept my eyes on him as I started towards him again, afraid that he’ll lose his footing and disappear.

 

“What is the point to all of this?” I yelled, brushing my hair back from my face.

 

“Come out here and see!” he called back.

 

I slipped off my heels and gingerly stepped out onto the rocks. I maneuvered my way among the valleys and crags until I reached the large flat ledge Nichkhun was perched on. I realized how close we have to stand to stay balanced and keep from falling over, and I tried to rest near the edge.

 

“Are you going to explain this to me?” I asked.

 

“Don’t you just feel free out here?” he said excitedly. “Doesn’t it seem like you’re out in the middle of the ocean?”

 

I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply, the salt air stinging my nose. I could hear the ocean extending its arms to touch the shore and Nichkhun breathing gently. The two sounds became intermingled and I felt myself slipping away to another place, somewhere I could be away from the stress of life. Distant sirens broke my daydream and I opened my eyes to see that Nichkhun has moved away and was heading back towards the shore.

 

“Ya! Wait for me!” I cried, and followed. Suddenly my feet gave way from underneath me and I landed with a thump on a rock. In a split second, Nichkhun loped around across the uneven surface and was at my side. He grabbed my arm, and, ignoring my protests that I am all right, helped me to my feet. I felt lightning bolts of pain shoot up from my ankle as my weight settled on it. This time, Nichkhun was there to catch me, and I fell against him. I looked up at his face and saw the concern written there; his eyes were filled with an emotion I could barely discern. My grip loosened on his arms, but he held fast, and I could decipher the message in his eyes.

 

And at that moment, though we were surrounded by the jagged reef and I don’t know how I’ll be able to get back to solid ground, I felt secure.

 

I felt safe.

 

And finally sure of where we stand.