Chapter 8

Promise

As the two rushed into the 5 star hotel café, scared that they’d miss their 10 o’clock appointment. He searched around the place looking for the pretty lady who he loved since he was born, but before he could spot her. “She’s over there.” His wife pointed to the table in the corner next to the huge glass window.

“Mom, I’m-,” but even before he could let out another word, he had been cut off.

“It’s alright, honey… I know that you’re always busy with work.” She smiled while watching her son and his wife sit down at the small table.

“No, Mom. It was me this time. I was late waking him up this morning. I’m sorry for keeping you waiting.” Xiao Xun told her.

“You don’t have to cover up for him. He’s 22 and married to such a lovely girl. I think that he is old enough to take care of his own faults.” Mrs Yan smiled to her daughter-in-law.

“Thank you.” He forced up his smile while giving his wife a light squeeze on her hand.

----

“Mr. and Mrs. Chui how do you like the venue?” The planner showed the largest hall in the hotel to the two of them.

“What do you think babe?” Wangzi asked his future wife.

“Uh… I don’t know.” Guigui wasn’t in the mood to talk about the wedding details. Something to her just didn’t feel right at that moment. It’s not like that she was sick, it was her heart. It was beating rapidly at an odd pace.

“Here, how about this. We’ll think about it, and I’ll ask what my mom would prefer.” Wangzi suggested, as he noticed that Guigui was completely off tone.

“Sure… If any new ideas come to mind I’ll call you.” And with that the planner left the couple alone in the venue to think things over.

But Wangzi knew that Guigui was in no mood to talk about the venue right now. Her heart and mind had already flown far away, and in order for him to catch it back, he led her to the famous café in the hotel for some tea-time.

Wangzi carefully studied the expression on Guigui face. She looked down at her cup of tea, not wanting to talk. He knew that it had to do with the fact that she came back to a place that left her with the saddest memories. It hurt him at the fact that she was so sad.

“Babe, would you like anything to eat?” He suggested. Maybe food could cheer her up. “Oh, wait… If you eat anymore, you might not be able to fit into that wedding dress.” He teased.

“Hey, am I that fat to you?” She scrunched her nose.

“No, you’re just perfect. I just hoped that teasing you might cheer my baby a little bit.” He smiled at his success in cheering up his girl.

“Okay then, how about we order our favorite desserts to eat.” Guigui suggested. “I think that eating something sweet might help.” She pouted.

“Okay.” And then he waved for a waiter to walk over to take their order. “Can we get one New York Cheesecake, one Strawberry Mousse, and one Green Tea Soufflé please?” Wangzi told the waiter their order.

“Why are you ordering so many? I’m going to get fat and I’m not going to fit into the wedding dress.” Guigui complained.

“Who said that I’m going to let you eat it all? It’s all mine.” Wangzi told her.

“Fine!” Guigui pouted and turned the other way not facing her mean fiancé.

“Here are you’re desserts sir.” The waiter placed their desserts neatly on table for them.

“Say ahh…” Wangzi placed a spoon of her favorite strawberry mousse cake in front of her.

“Give it.” Guigui took that spoon from him and her smile couldn’t help but pop up when she turned to see all of her favorites in front of her.

“See, I knew that this would work.” He proudly praised himself as he watched his fiancé gabble up all the desserts in front of her.

“I feel much better now. Thank you!” She happily finished all of her desserts and gave him a kiss on his cheek.

-----

“Aaron, I have to get going now. Take care of your wife.” Mrs. Yan happily left after a brunch meeting with her son.

And after his mother left, the two sat at the table for a few minutes with an awkward silence between them.

“Aaron…”

“We should also get going. I have to get to work.” And with that Aaron got up and headed for the exit.

“There will always be that wall between us no matter how hard I try.” Xiao Xun whispered to herself.

Aaron’s POV

I walked up to the till waiting in line to pay, and before me is a young couple with their arms linked together tightly.

*Flashback*

“If you ever dare to let go of me, I swear I will kill you.” Although her words may be threatening, her expressions were foremost the cutest it has ever been, her lips slightly pouting and her eyes glistening as she looked up at to me.

“Well then you’re going to have to hold on tightly. With your arms linked tightly like this and I promise no matter where I go you’ll always be hanging on like a leech. And even if you wanted to let go, you’ll never be able to.” I pinched her little cute button nose.

“Well, then let’s see who is it that lets go first.” She held on ever so tightly, hugging my arm with all her strength.”

*End of Flashback*

“Hey! What happened to our picture?” The girl slightly flipped out.

“I accidently left it at home when I changed my wallet.” The guy explained.

“How could you forget?” The girl slightly turned her face to look up at him.

“Because my mind was filled with you.” These words led me to think of when was the last time I had things like this coming out of my mouth. And truthfully it was when Guigui was still by my side.

“Look at you and you’re mouth, only knowing how to sweet talk.”

“Yes, and only my Guigui loves to listen to them.”

“Guigui?” Her name unknowingly popped out of my mouth as soon as I heard it.

And the girl turned her head facing me. It is her. The Guigui I had been looking for, for these past few years. The love of my life is finally here in front of me again.

“Do you know him?” The guy next to her asked as he saw her looking at me.

“No, I don’t.” I feel my heart breaking into little pieces, daggers flying through it. It hurt for her to say that she didn’t know me when I can see the hurt in her eyes as soon as she saw me.

“Honey, are you done with the bill yet?” And why is it now that Xiao Xun has to show up.

“Let’s go. Your mom is waiting for us to get home.” She held on to his arm again, but this time I can see the ring on her finger shining at my face. I know that she is indicating to me that she is already married to someone else. And that I also am married to someone else.

She then walked out with the guy right before my eyes. How is it that because of a small mistake it can lead to such an unexpected ending for the two of us? I can’t let this go on like this. I have to fix my mistake. I have to tell her how much I still love her, and how much this has gone wrong.

“Xiao Xun, I have something important to do-,” And even before I could finish my words she gave me go ahead hand signal.

I left the café and through the hotel lobby, out the giant doors and towards my car. I need to go find her. I need to explain what had happened that night. And god was by my side when I found her walking alone on the road not far from the hotel. I quietly followed behind her in my car. I wanted to know where she is heading to. I knew that if I pulled up next to her right now, she’d run away and she’d hate me even more.

Finally after 30 minutes I find her heading to the playground where we had first met.

After parking the car I walked towards the swings, where she was sitting. Luckily her back was facing me, so that she couldn’t see me. And when I was finally behind her, I knew that all I wanted to do was hold her again in my arms. I missed her too much to care of how much she hated me.

End of POV

Aaron didn’t think for another second. He wrapped his arms around her, holding her in place. Not letting her go anywhere.

“I miss you.” He breathed in the scent of her hair. The smell is still the same. Nothing had changed. “I really, really miss you.” And his tears had come running down his face.

“Please let go.” She remained calm and unemotional.

“I will never let go of you again.” He told her with his shaky voice.

“You and I do not belong together anymore.” She told him.

“We do and we always will be. Nothing will break us apart.”

“We had been broken since the day you broke the promise.” Guigui’s tears also started to fall.

“NO! IT WAS NEVER BROKEN! I only loved you, and it will only be you.” His grip around her had gotten tighter, scared that she’ll run away again like before.

“It has been-,” but before Guigui could finish her sentence her lips were blocked with his.