Chapter 3

Promise

It has been 5 years since the move, Guigui sat in a coffee shop looking out the window. She began reminiscing on the day after she left Taiwan.

*Flashback*

Guigui slowly got out of the taxi that had stopped in front of her new house. Throughout the whole flight she didn’t say a single word, she didn’t cry, she had no more emotions within her. She slowly walked up the pathway to her doorstep she then took out the key that her mom had given to her in the taxi on the ride over, slowly inserting the key into the key hole she turned it to her right and a click sounded indicating that it had unlocked.

Taking her first step into the house, looking around in the dark she absorbed in the big space that was around her. But being in this big dark space alone she felt lonely, as she began to think back to a couple days away. She’ll never ever forget that day, the day she saw her boyfriend kissing another girl at the only place she found comfort in.

Tears were forming in her eyes slowly as the picture in her head began to form again. She couldn’t hold it in anymore. She ran out of the house passed her parents who were bringing in their luggages. She ran until she had no more energy, then she suddenly dropped, she dropped down on the sidewalk in the middle of nowhere. She wrapped her arms around her knees pulling it in as close as she could, quietly sobbing into her knees not caring that she was in the middle of the sidewalk in the middle of nowhere.

“Miss, Miss are you okay?” Someone from behind gently tapped on her shoulders.

Guigui slowly looked up at the person with her watery eyes, and then looked back down again with more tears forming in her eyes.

She felt the guy kneel down next to her. “Uhhh… Are you alright? Is there anything I can help you with?” She heard from the person who was on her right side. They voice was really comfortable, it was a guy, the soothing voice gave her a strange calming feeling. So she slowly lifted her head again to look at him. The second their eyes met she broke down. She suddenly buried her head into his shoulders and started crying hard into it.

*End of Flashback*

As Guigui was about to slip her coffee, someone came up from behind and covered her eyes with their hands.

“Guess who?” A very high pitched voice asked, as she giggled.

“Is it Calvin or is it A-Wei? No wait, I know it’s Jiro.” She joked.

“What? Are you hiding a whole bunch of guys from me?” He pretended to be mad, as Guigui continued to giggle.

“Aiyo, don’t be like that. You’ll always be my prince, you know that. Wangzi…” She pouted as she held on to a corner of his sleeve swinging his arm slightly.

As cute as she was, he could no longer hold the grudge on her. “Okay, Okay, I’ll for give you. But only if you…” He pointed to a spot on his cheek indicating for her to kiss him.

She kissed him on his cheek and quickly felt her cheeks warming up as if it was really hot in the coffee shop.

“Let’s go. I want to bring you to a special place.” He quickly dragged her out of the coffee shop.

“Where are you bringing me?” She asked. She was blindfolded and he was leading her way.

“You’ll see.” She no longer felt his presence next to her.

“Wangzi, Where are you?” She walked around trying to feel in front of her to find him.

“Okay, you can see now.” He was behind her as he was un-knotting the blindfold.

She froze on the spot, not believing what she had seen in front of her. She was speechless at the chalk writing on the sidewalk.

“Baby,” Wangzi kneeled down in front of her. “Remember this spot right here? This was where we met five years ago. You were sitting in this very spot, crying… The second you looked up at me with your big watery eyes, I knew that it was love at first sight. You were the one that I’d want to spend the rest of my life with. Even though we were only fifteen at the time, my heart just kept telling me that you were the one. As I saw you crying, my heart was aching. I told myself that from then on I wouldn’t let a single person hurt you ever again. So, Guigui will you marry me?” He took out a ring from his pocket. The diamond on the ring was in the shape of a heart. “Even though you stole it long ago, this heart shaped diamond ring represents my heart and if you accept it, I can tell everyone that you have stolen my heart.” Tears were flowing down his face as he told her what his heart was feeling, but as he got to the last few words he smiled at her, as she was crying too.

She finally nodded to his question. The question that was chalked on the sidewalk, as it said “will you marry me, Guigui?” in big pink letters with a heart around it and a big bouquet of her favourite lilies next to it.

He quickly got up to slide the ring on her finger before she could refuse, and kissed her hard on the lips, spinning her around with the happiness that he longed for the day he met her in the very spot.