Chapter 2

Promise

He sat on the porch flipping through his memories trying to remember what had happened five years ago.

*Flashback*

He was walking with his childhood friend who he hadn’t seen for more than five years. He took her to the park where he spends most of his time at. He looked at her carefully, she had changed a lot since the last time they have seen each other. Her hair has gotten longer and she had gotten taller. He also noticed things on her that he didn’t notice before like how pretty her eyes were, but her eyes weren’t as pretty as the girl he loves.

“How has life been going for you?” she asked.

“Perfect. I’m enjoying every moment of it.” He smiled.

“That’s good. You’ve changed a lot over these past years. You’ve gotten happier.” She smiled back.

“You’ve changed a lot too.” He told her after his long observation.

“Really? How?” she curiously asked.

“I love the way your eyes smile.” He told her and remembers that the girl he loves has eyes that smiled like hers too.

She sat on the swings and he walked up behind her, thinking that he should help her push it. As he was about to push it a little kid ran up from behind pushing him towards her, causing him to lose his balance and before he knew it their lips met.

His instant reactions took place and he quickly pulled away. Suddenly out of nowhere something came at his face, before he could get rid of it, another thing came at him. This time it was a hard slap across his face, his right cheek started to sting, he could feel it swell up within second. He finally got a view to see who it was. It was Guigui, his girlfriend.

She pulled off the necklace that had the ring he gave to her for her birthday not long ago. He had promised her that he’d marry her when they graduate university. He saw her looking at the necklace with her painful eyes and before he could react she threw it across the park into the bushes. She then marched away in the other direction, not even wanting to hear him explain.

*End of Flashback*

He sighed off all this unhappy memories as the sun slowly creeps up from the horizon. As he was taking a large breath of the fresh air someone from behind wraps their arms around his neck.

“Morning babe, what are you doing up so early?” The girl asked.

“I just wanted to watch the sunrise.” He simply answered and tried to force a smile on his face. “I’m hungry can you go and make me some breakfast?”

“Sure.” And with that she walked off to the kitchen.

He brought his knees to his chest as close as possible he buried his head into his knees and began flipping through his memories again.

*Flashback*

“Aaron, can you please stop looking for it? It’s dark out here already. How are you supposed to find anything in the dark?” a voice yelled for him to stop looking for the ring.

“No! I have to find it. I can’t lose her or the ring. They’re the most important things in life. No matter how hard I try or how long it’ll take, I have to find it.” As stubborn as he was she started to help him look for the ring within the bushes.

As the sun rose indicating that it was morning he still didn’t give up. He rambled through as much bushes as he could until he had to head for school.

“We have to go to school now or we’ll be late.” The girl rushed him.

“Just give me 2 more minutes Xiao Xun. I really want to find it before we head back to school so I can give it back to her.” He continued to look.

After the two minutes were up he quickly ran to school, he didn’t want to miss it. He had promised Guigui that he’d go to school every day and get good marks to get into a better university to get a better job so that they can live life without any pressure.

When he had arrived to school he had seen no sight of her. He wanted to call her but as he was about to take out his phone the teacher had walked in. He sat in his seat starring across the hall to Guigui’s classroom at her desk where she sat because in that seat she could look out the window to look at him everyday.

After school had ended, he tried to call her but she had turned off her phone. After trying several times he ran back to the park to look for the ring again.

“I knew that you’d be here looking for the ring again.” A sad voice crept up behind him.

Hoping that it was Guigui that was worrying about him he quickly looked up, but with disappointment he said, “Oh, it’s you Xiao Xun?” and quickly got back to looking for the ring.

“Here let me help you.” She gently placed her bag onto the grass around them and started to help look for the ring.

After looking for another 5 hours they had found it.

“Oh my god, I found it.” She picked up the ring from the ground.

“Thank you. Thank you so much. I have to bring it back to her and explain to her that it was all just a misunderstanding.” His smile grew big again and ran quickly out of the park and headed for her house.

When he had arrived in front of the big white house he quickly ran up to the door. He pushed the big round door bell multiple times, scared that she couldn’t hear it. After waiting 5 minutes at the door not a single person came to open it. He thought, “That’s funny, even if she didn’t get the door at least her parents would. They were usually already home at this time.” He couldn’t wait any longer he ran next door to ask their neighbors where they had gone to.

“Oh, I saw them loading their belongings into a truck this morning, and I also heard that they’re migrating to Canada. I don’t think that they are coming back because they even sold their house.” The neighbor answered.

He couldn’t believe it. She left without even mentioning anything about the move. How could she just leave like that? What about their relationship and their future? He sat on her doorstep regretting that he didn’t chase after her when she had run off. Quietly sobbing into his arms, he felt someone walk up to him.

“Aaron? Are you alright?” Xiao Xun sat down next to him on the doorstep trying to comfort her longtime friend.

He softly looked at her and wrapped his arms around her, softly crying into her shoulders.

*End of Flashback*