Chapter 1

Promise

She was only at the age of 15 when her parents had sat her down at the kitchen table. They wanted to talk to her about something that would change her life. “We’re going to migrate from Taipei and immigrate to Vancouver. I know that you’ve lived here your whole live and all your friends are here but this is our only choice. Your father’s company sent him over to look after the things over there. We’ll be leaving in 2 days.” Her mother disclosed to her.

With disbelieve hoping that her mother would just tell her that it was only a joke, but nope, her mother simply walked away to start packing all their belongings for the big move.

“This can’t be happening to me. There must be some mistake, I’ve lived here my whole life and because of one little job change our whole family has to move to a whole new different place? Have you guys ever thought of what I wanted?” Guigui screamed throughout the house but no one listened.

She ran as fast as she could, she ran to the place that she thought no one would ever find her at. It was the place that she would go to every weekend. It was the place that all her happiness lied upon. When she arrived at the playground, she quickly ran to the small hideout under the slides. She sat there burying her head into her knees as deeply as she could so that no one would be able to hear her cry all her sorrows out.

As she cried thoughts began to sneak into her mind. “I don’t want to leave; I have too much here that I can’t leave behind. My boyfriend, my friends, my school, everything here has been with me for too long. I cannot leave here knowing that we might not be able to see each other again. You were ‘my everything’ from the second you kissed me right here under the slides. I know that we may still be young but you were the one who made my world spin when it was about to stop. You were the one that tried to make me smile when tears were falling down my face. You were the one who had been by my side when all the others did not want to come near me. Why is it that after all the things that we’ve been though can’t last forever, and just one little thing in my life can change it all so quickly.” With all the thoughts that were going through her mind she didn’t know what to do, all she could do was cry, cry all her sorrows out.

Ten minutes has passed and she had just used all her strength to cry out everything she could. She sat up and wiped her tears with the cloth that her boyfriend gave her when they had first met. Taking in a deep breath she looked up at the beautiful blue sky, wondering when it would be the next time that she’ll be able to see it again. But as she was looking, she heard a familiar voice around the corner.

“I love the way your eyes smile.” She heard the familiar voice say, as she got closer to see who it was. She finally managed to peek through the small hole she found in her hiding spot. She tried to get a somewhat clear view of a girl sitting on the swings with a guy standing behind her. She adjusted her height to get a clearer view of the guy when she did she saw him lean down to the girl giving her a long kiss. As the two parted from the kiss, she urged to see who the guy was. The second he lifted his head she angrily walked out of her hiding spot to face the guy.

Without saying a single word she threw the cloth in his face, and slapped hard across it with her right hand.  She then quickly reached for her neck pulling on the necklace so it broke off. She looked at the ring that was attached to the necklace one last time before she threw it across the park, and walked off to the other direction.