Chapter 6

Promise

As soon as Guigui stepped off of the long plane ride, she took a long deep breath of the Taipei air. It has been a while since she smelt and breathed the air of home.

“Let’s go. I think that my Parents, and Grandma and Grandpa are waiting at home. I’m sure that they are just dying to see you.” Wangzi gave her a reassuring smile and led her to the luggage claim area.

Within minutes that had found all of their luggage’s on the belt and walked towards the main entrance to catch a taxi. Guigui looked left to right, to try to get used to the familiar but yet so different surroundings around her.

“Guigui, get in the car. Just let me put all of the luggage in the trunk.” Wangzi opened the door for his lovely fiancé.

While Guigui was in the car alone waiting for the driver and Wangzi to finish with the luggage’s, she whispered to herself, “Guigui, you can do it. The one you love now is Wangzi. From this moment on you are to only think of him.” And with a long deep breath she took all the courage she had to forget the past to move on to the unknown future.

They had finally set off to get a closer look into the city. All the cars and motorbikes, all the people and all of the shops… finally this was the Taipei Guigui had missed all these years.

“I haven’t seen this smile of yours in a while.” Wangzi said unknowingly.

“It’s because I’m with you here back in a place that I’ve missed.” Guigui said to him. But this was also the place that she had left in tears as well.

They had finally arrived to semi-quiet residential area; all of the houses were quite large with at least 2 stories just like the houses in Canada. There is an ocean with a beautiful clear blue color that has an endless horizon. The birds are chirping and the dogs are freely running about. Something about this neighborhood gives Guigui a relaxing feeling about coming back to the city.

“Here it is.” The driver pulled over to a large white building with a tall fence around it.

“Thank you, keep the rest as tip.” Wangzi handed over the money.

“Thank you, Let me get your belongings.” The driver smiled at the large sum of money.

“Welcome home, babe. From this point on everything that I own will be yours.” Wangzi smiled to the sweet girl next to him.

“I thought that from the day you met me all of things were already mine.” Guigui pouted.

“True… but now that you’re my fiancé. Everything of yours is also mine.” Wangzi gave her a naughty smile.

“Shhh… your parents might hear.” Guigui held a hand to cover his mouth.

“Baby, you’re finally home!” A high pitched voice from behind the fence started to get near.

A fashionably dressed, middle aged lady came out with a large sun hat on.

“Mom, I missed you too.” Wangzi greeted the lady.

“Look at you, you’ve grown so much.” She gave her son a good look from head to toe.

“Of course, but first I want you to meet your daughter in law, Guigui.” Wangzi got a hold of Guigui’s hand and dragged her to his side.

Mrs. Chiu carefully examined Guigui from head to toe, and then from toe back up to her head. Although Guigui was not someone from the high end of the ladder, she looked good enough to become the daughter in law of a small corporation that is well known enough for them to be in touch with many corporate leaders today.

“Perfect, perfect, absolutely perfect.” Were the only words that Mrs. Chiu had led out from the long observation. “She’s more perfect then I can ever imagine. My son, you’ve done so good. I’m so glad that I sent you overseas.” She gave her son a big kiss on his cheeks before dragging them into the house.

“See I knew that she’ll love you.” Wangzi whispered to her.

Guigui could finally let out a relaxing breath. She could finally breathe the air without pressure. Unknowingly she has been all tensed up to meet his parents. Although she had gotten enough reassurance from Wangzi, she was still nervous to meet her future family.