Chapter 7

Promise

After a long effortless day at work, Aaron lifelessly brought himself back to a place that to him was not the home he wished it could be. For all these years he wished that the girl waiting by the door was Guigui. She was that only girl that could truly blow him away. She was that only girl who stole his heart, but was also the one who shattered it to pieces.

Aaron threw himself to the couch. He slightly glanced around, but his wife was nowhere to be seen. It was then that he realized he was supposed to have dinner with his wife and his mother-in-law.

*Ring Ring* He quickly took out his phone to call his wife.

“Hello?” she answered.

“Sorry babe, I was caught up in work.” He lied, he was thinking of Guigui all day.

“It’s alright, I understand. I’ll be home soon, and I’ll bring you home something to eat.” She replied.

“Okay babe, be careful.” With that he hung up the phone.

Yes, indeed he did have a very wonderful wife, but still did not compare to what he and Guigui had. He remembered it very clearly he met Guigui at the age of 12 and until Guigui left, it was a total of 4 years that they have been together. And although he knew Xiao Xun longer, his relationship with Guigui was deeper. Every time that they met, everything that they did together, he remembered it all still very clearly as if it was a movie playing in his mind, and in his dreams.

‘Guigui, where are you? Why couldn’t you just let me explain? You suddenly disappearing in my life, you suddenly leave me behind with a hole in my heart. These 5 painful years are more than enough. I can’t stand it anymore. Please come back.’ He thought to himself, as he was still lying on the couch in his sweaty clothes with his eyes closed.

Then suddenly he heard the front door opening, knowing that it was his wife.

“Hi babe,” he greeted.

“Here is some food from the restaurant. Why don’t you go and take a shower, while I heat up the food for you.” She suggested, and he followed her suggestions.

It took him only 15 minutes to complete his shower. He walked out to the dining table seeing that his wife had prepared a bowl of rice and a dish of fried veggies and then a dish of meat. He quickly sat down to enjoy the meal, although it wasn’t something that his wife had cooked. He still ate it deliciously, because of the effort that she made to bring it back for him.

“Thanks babe. It was delicious.” And lightly gave her a kiss on her cheeks.

“I’m glad that you like it.” She replied.