Untold Past

You're the Only One

“Kai…” Naeun breathed and the said guy finally recognized her and his reaction was also surprised when he saw her.

“Naeun?”

.

You’re the Only One

Kim Myungsoo/Son Naeun

~when you realized that he’s the only one that makes you happy and ruined you at the same time~

Storyline © whentomorrowcomes | characters © God and themselves

Part 8

.#.

Her breath hitched and her head felt so dizzy. How can—?

It’s really him. It’s Kai. Her Kai.

“What—Kai? Wasn’t that your nickname in the college, Jongin?” Joonmyun asked confusedly while looking at his younger brother, yearning for an explanation from the younger.

Unconsciously, Naeun tighten her grip on Myungsoo’s arm and made the other looked at her with concern, “baby, are you okay?”

“No,” her voice was barely a whisper, “I need some air,” and before Myungsoo could gave her a reply she already shuffled her feet as fast as she could to the backyard because suddenly she felt suffocated with the heavy atmosphere at that stupid huge dining room.

She stumbled a bit when finally she opened the glass door and able to breathed the fresh air. She sighed and walked lifelessly to sit on the bench. Good thing she’s alone now. She couldn’t think any excuse if someone saw her in such a state and asked her what happened. Her mind was blank and the only thing she could do was clutching her chest for dear life while one to another tear fell down.

Why?

Why he was here?

Why he has to come back now?

.#.

“Jongin,” Myungsoo called with a stern voice, “I think you need to explain something.”

“What is she doing in here?” Jongin asked without even bothered to give an answer to his cousin’s question. Myungsoo’s forehead furrowed with the sudden question.

“What do you mean? She’s my fiancée, Jongin. Of course she’s here.” He answered while folding both of his hand in front of his chest, “and you still haven’t answered my question, Kim Jongin—”

“I have to go, hyung. I’m sorry,” Jongin said before left the others in confusion.

“What was that?” finally Joonmyun asked after Jongin disappeared from their sight. Myungsoo heaved a sigh and shook his head.

“I wish I know, hyung,” Myungsoo said. Joonmyung gave him a reassuring smile while patting his shoulder lightly.

“Everything is going to be alright, Myungsoo,” he said, “don’t worry.”

Myungsoo looked at his older cousin and gave him a weak smile, “thanks hyung.”

.#.

“There you are,”

Her vision was blurred by her own tears but he didn’t need her eyes to recognize the person who stood in front of her right now. She knew that voices too well.

Without saying anything, she wiped away her leftover tears then stood up and was about to left that place if only that person didn’t grab her arms.

“Wait, Naeun—”

She bit her lower lips and felt him slowly grabbed both of her shoulder to turned her to facing him, “Naeun—”

“Let me go, Kai,” she said faintly with slowly tears stained her pale face once again without having any strength to look up and facing the other’s face.

“Naeun, look at me,” he said softly. But she was too stubborn to do that and chose to keep his face to face the ground. She could herd him sighed and suddenly she could feel he lift up her chin—made her have no other choice but to finally let his eyes examining the other’s face.

Another tear fell to her cheek and she could feel he brushed it with his thumb. She closed her eyes and could feel the warmth of Jongin’s hand on her face.

“Naeun, I’m sorry,” he whispered as he caressed her pale cheek with his thumb.

“I hate you, Kai,” she sobbed and hit him weakly over and over again while pouring out her anger.

“W-Why are you here?” a hit. “What are you doing in here?” another hit. “I-I hate you, Kai. Why do you have to come back?” another hit. “Do you want to ruin my life once again?” another hit. “I hate you.” Another hit. “I hate you so much, Kai”. Jongin closed his eyes and accept all of her hit while holding her tightly. Because he knew, he deserved it. With the last strand of her sanity she finally collapsed onto his arms while her sobs finally barely could be heard.

“I hate you, Jongin,” was her last whisper before she lost her consciousness.

.#.

“Are you alright?” was what she heard as soon she opened her eyes. She didn’t need to turn her head just to see who was there beside her.

“Leave me alone,” she responded with her hoarse voice. She saw with the corner of her eyes that he flashed a small smile and gave a glass of water to her. She could feel the cold liquid ran down and fill her empty stomach.

“How are you feeling right now, Naeun?” he asked once again.

“Go away, Kai,” she replied coldly. She could hear he heaved a big sigh.

“I know I made mistakes, Naeun,” he said softly, “I’m sorry.”

“Sorry won’t change the past, Kai,” she retorted, “a simple sorry, won’t fix your mistakes to me.”

Jongin gave her a bitter smile, “I know.”

“Leave.” She said once again. This time she looked at that handsome face and she heard him heaved a sigh before stood up from his seat.

“Am I too late, Naeun?” he asked softly. She was devastated when she heard the question.

It shouldn’t be like this… why am I hurting just from hearing that question from his mouth? This wasn’t Kim Jongin that I knew…

She closed her eyes and bit her lower lip before opened her eyes again and said, “You’re late for six years, Kai.”

She looked at the tanned boy and she could hear a cracking sound, her heart, maybe? She never saw that expression from Jongin before. He looks…hurt.

“I see,” he forced a smile, “tell me if you need anything, okay?”

.#.

Everything seems so familiar to her. She looked around and recognized the place as the playground that she liked to go in China when she’s still a kid. She walked slowly, feeling the familiar path brushed against her shoes and the same warm breeze of summer filled her lungs.

“Xiao Yu!”

Naeun stopped her tracks and saw a little boy, around 6 or 7 years old running passed her direction. She frowned when she looked at the little boy because oddly, the boy looked so familiar to her.

She walked closer to the boy who now was happily playing with his friend in the slide. She blinked a few times to clear his vision because she swore she recognize the boy, the plump lips, the hazel eyes, the fierce jawline, the brown locks, and…the tanned skin.

“Jonghun?” she whispered slowly. The boy who heard her called his name turned his head to her and gave her a crocked smile. The boy sliding down from the slide and ran to her while screaming in Chinese “Mama!” before crashing his little body to her.

A tear ran down from her hazel eyes and she lowered herself to hug the boy, “yes, baoibei…” she whispered in Chinese onto the boy’s ear, “I’m your mama…”

“Mama why did you go?” she heard the boy mumbled on her shoulder, “You don’t love me, right Mama? That’s why mama leaves me. Mama and baba hate me.”

She looked at the boy’s pale face and cupped the boy’s tiny face with her palms, she shivered when an icy cold made contact with her hands but she ignored it, “don’t say that, baoibei. Mama loves you.”

She hugged the boy once again—reassuring the boy that he was wrong. She loves him, he’s her life, “Mama loves you, Jonghun. Mama loves you so much, baobei. Don’t ever think that Mama hates you. Oh God, I’m so sorry, baobei…”

Feeling that there’s no reaction from the boy, she slowly release her boy from her embrace to look at her beloved face.

Her eyes widened and she gasped in horror. There’s no word could escape from .

—Jonghun froze. All of his motions stopped. A queer pale wiped away all colors from his face, making him look unrealistic. The soul in his eyes died, replaced by a quaint static dark veil. And Naeun couldn’t feel any flash of life from Jonghun’s presence in front of her.

“Jonghun, baobei, what happen?”

Jonghun didn’t answer. He stood motionless. Breathless. Soulless.

Naeun was very terrified. She looked around frantically, trying to find someone to help, but what she saw terrified her even more. Everything around her froze. The wave of the clouds. The sound of the summer. The bird’s chirp.

A lump of dread grew inside her, and Naeun turned her face back to Jonghun, who looked even more soulless. She wrapped her trembling hands on Jonghun’s face, trying to wake him up, to bring life back into his eyes, but when Naeun’s fingertips touched him—he crumbled. Slowly, he shattered into colorless dusts, perishing his existence bit by bit, dissipating his presence. Naeun tried to grab at whatever was left of him, but the dusts slipped between her fingers as soon as she tried to catch it—flying into nothing. 

No.

Everything around her started to collapse; even the sky was crumbling down.

Please no.

Leaving her with nothing but a mere empty space—a dark empty space.  Without anything.  Without anyone. 

No!

“JONGHUN!”

Her eyes snapped open, she was panting hard and she turned around to see Myungsoo’s panic expression.

It’s just a dream

But it was too real. Too scary. Myungsoo’s soft voice soothing her while she was enveloped in Myungsoo’s embrace.

She sobbed hard, she clutched Myungsoo’s shirt to keep her steady. To keep her sane. Jonghun. Jonghun. My Jonghun. He—vanished. I can’t do anything. Oh, God. My Jonghun. She kept mumbling incoherent words with her trembling lips while Myungsoo just tightened his hug around her and whispering comfort to her ears.

“It’s okay… It’s okay… You’re fine…” unfortunately Myungsoo’s whisper was hid under Naeun’s constantly sobs. She cried harder, and harder while keep mumbling Jonghun and I’m sorry over and over again.

.#.

He couldn’t focus. His thought keep replaying what happened last night, to his fiancée. He never saw her expression like that before. She looked hurt, lost, guilty, and…confused. He sighed while slammed his back to his couch. Everything was so confusing.

A knocked on his door woke him from his thought and he let the knocker came in.

“Hyung, you want to see me?”

He faked a smile to his cousin and nod his head, “come in, Jongin. I want to talk to you.”

Jongin looked confused but obeyed his order and stepped in to the office. He grabbed a seat after Myungsoo let him and asked him what’s wrong.

“I want you to tell me something,” Myungsoo started and he could see Jongin’s confusion look.

“About what?” Jongin asked. And Myungsoo took a deep breath.

“Do you know who Jonghun is?” and right on the cue. Myungsoo saw his cousin’s face was pale and that unspoken action made Myungsoo mentally nodded his head. So it’s true, there’s something happened to them without him knowing.

“Jongin?” he tried to call but Jongin looked frozen. He sighed and leaned closer to his table, facing the man across his table.

“Don’t you have to tell me something that I should know, Jongin?” Myungsoo asked again and he surprised to himself how he could manage to keep his voice sounded so calm.

He could see Jongin bit his lower lip and took a deep breath before opened his mouth, “I don’t think I’m the right person for telling you this, hyung. You should ask Naeun.”

“But I’m asking you, Jongin,” Myungsoo said, “after all. Naeun is not in a good condition to tell me about this.”

Jongin furrowed his eyebrow, “what happened.”

“Well,” he sighed, “she had a nightmare. And she cried a lot last night. She’s sleeping now because she’s exhausted.” He explained, “I swore to you. I never saw her like that before. That’s why I want you to tell me. Please, Jongin.”

“Before I tell you this, I want you to remember that Naeun’s your fiancée right now and I have no relation to her anymore, okay?” Jongin said and Myungsoo nodded his head.

Jongin sighed, “Naeun is my ex-girlfriend,” he stated, “and Jonghun is our son.”

Myungsoo’s eyes widened, “what?”

.

To Be Continued

.

Oh yeah, I love cliffhanger XD

So sorry I couldn’t update frequently these days.. I have to prepare for my university entrance test and it made me lost my time to write..

Love for my subscribers and readers~

bbyong~ ♥