Fate In The Shadows

Heaven's Nightmare

Narrator's POV

"Why'd you do that to yourself again?" Yoomi looked up to see Kim Myungsoo looking at her, with his hands in his pockets. 

Yoomi habitually bit her lip, in nervousness. "W-what do you mean?"  She fixed up her glasses, and fiddled with her fingers. She peeked up at Myungsoo, waiting for a reply.

Myungsoo frowned. He grabbed her arm, that was covered with her school uniform. He traced it softly and asked, "Don't." He gave her another look, before walking away.

Yoomi let her arm drop, and let out a sigh of relief; she would never get use to people going near her.

---

Myungsoo kept his head down all throughout class. He was thinking, no, not thinking of schoolwork, but of Yoomi. And her dark obsession. He knew about it. He knew that she didn't know he knew. He also knew that her brother didn't know.

Myungsoo cared for Yoomi, in his own way. He didn't want her to get hurt even further. There was no denying, he used to be someone like Yoomi. Used to. He cut the habit a long time ago, no pun intended.

He had a new... interest, and obviously it was Yoomi. He didn't know when, but he had somehow grew... fond of her. He liked following her around. It didn't take him long to find out almost everything about her. The fact that her parents died, that her brother Choi Minho balanced school and work to keep the two of them alive, and her little dark secret.

It wasn't hard to find out. 

If you really wanted to know everything about a person, like Myungsoo wanted, you just needed to push your boundaries and you'll find out everything about them.

He was a very careful person, with an eye for detail. He hid no evidence of himself behind. He knew Choi Minho's schedule, and when it was the right time to spy on Yoomi.

Myungsoo had no intention to harm Yoomi. He just wanted to follow her. And watch her. In his whole life, he had never been so intrigued by someone as he was by Yoomi. 

He enjoyed watching her sleep... and he also enjoyed watching her cut herself, but he also didn't want her to get hurt. He knew that Yoomi was a smart girl; that she wouldn't allow herself to die so easily. She just wanted so excitement and enjoyment in her painful, sad life. 

He understood that, he had been through that period in his life. He just wanted to feel something in his dull life, and the only way was to cut. Everytime the knife slit through his skin and the blood dribbled down his wrist, he felt something. Though it was pain, it was enjoyable. He liked the pain; it was better than feeling numb.

It was better than feeling paralyzed... that was what he used to think.

One day, he decided to stop. He didn't know what triggered his decision, but he did. He just stopped cutting himself.

He had been like a smoker quitting. It had been hard and tough, but he stopped. He hid away all sharp metals to stop the temptation, and gradually, the need to cut just disappeared.

But, there was nothing he could do to hide his scars on his pale arms. They were there permanently and he couldn't remove that. It was a constant reminder for him. It was a mistake he learnt from. It wasn't something he would flaunt about, but also not something he'd hide. 

He wasn't proud of what he used to do, but he wasn't ashamed of it either. If he had to, he'd tell someone about his old habits, but since it wasn't necessary, he didn't.

Maybe the attraction to Yoomi was fate. Maybe Myungsoo was fated to help Yoomi step out of the shadows. 

Or maybe, Yoomi was fated to drag Myungsoo back into the shadows.

Narrator's POV End

---