Yin and Yang

Special To Me

When my mom was younger, she was a romantic at heart. I guess the family life she juggled withered away her rosy personality as time went on.

Instead of normal families who would sit down and play monopoly, she brought me and my brothers to lay down on her bed, where she would talk about life lessons or her belief in fate. In a higher power. She'd tell endless stories and fairy tales to comfort us for when we went to sleep.

"Mommy, what is fate?" Tao asked one day, bouncing his Stitch doll on his thighs.

"Well honey, it's like when you read a book. Everything's already written and said. The characters just have to act out the story." She smiled, tucking his hair out of his face.

"So we're all part of a book?" Lu Han smiled.

"Yes. You are all the heroes of your own stories."

"Do I have super powers?" Tao gasped.

"No, sweetie. Although you have an adorable face." She pinched his cheeks affectionately. Then she turned to me, noticing I hadn't spoken. "Yifan?"

I gulped, twiddling my fingers into the bedsheets. "Mama, you keep on telling us the same story. There's this princess in danger, a prince comes to kill the dragon and rescue her and then they live happily ever."

"Yes. Do you not like that story?"

"But...what happened to the dragon's happy ending?"

~

When I woke up in the morning, I tried to hurry and get ready. But because it was laundry day, my options were limited to a pair of dark jeans and a black wifebeater. As I looked into the mirror, I wanted to punch myself. I looked like I was going to go out prowling! Was I transformed into some sort of ? Oh God even my stupid scorpion tattoo was showing. I hastily went into the closet, finally finding my gray hoodie. At least that would cover up some skin.

I flew down the stairs only to be put right back in a bad mood when I saw Lu Han's face.

"Good morning delinquent." He greeted me without a smile.

"Hi Gege!" Tao smiled.

"They see me rollin...they hatin..." I sang to myself, waving to Tao and taking out the orange juice in the fridge. "They think that I'm so white n' nerdy."

Lu Han flipped me the magic middle finger.

I chugged down a glass and tried to walk out the door before he yelled at me. "You're grounded, remember?"

"I'm just going to work..." I lied with ease.

"Right, I'm sure it takes you five hours to park your car."

"Believe me, it does. Oh by the way," I took Yixing's envelope off of the counter and set it next to Lu Han's cereal bowl, "Tell me how funny this card is when I get back."

Before he could touch it, Tao snatched the envelope out of my hands and ripped it open, handing the card to my brother.

"Take care you two." I smiled and grabbed my sun glasses, excited for the day.

~

Ms. Kwon greeted me with another one of her huge smiles when I rang the doorbell. "Hi Kris! Come in, come in. Chanyeol just got out of the shower so he's changing now. Want to see some of his baby pictures?"

Nothing could make me happier, as creepy as that sounds. "I'd love to! Was he a chubby baby like Tao or puny like Lu Han?"

"Pretty puny, but he's always been underweight. Although it wasn't until this year when he actually grew so tall." She dug into her bookcase taking out a photo album and seating us on the sofa. "This is him when we first went to the beach...poor thing was so scared because he has a fear of water. We had to leave early just so he could stop crying! But his first trip to an amusement park was a success. Here's the picture. He loved the ferris wheel, and this time I was the one crying! Oh heights are scary." And she was right, his smile looked bigger than the rest of his body. And he was ridiculously short back then. "Oh here's the one where he was a baby!"

I paused to stare at not him this time, but the girl holding him. She wasn't Ms. Kwon, but the smile on her face paralleled the woman's next to me. "Who's this?"

"...my sister, Chanyeol's mother."

"OH MY GOD!"

In the doorway, stood Chanyeol, horror-struck and shocked. His hair was still wet and he wore his usual baggy clothes.

"Hi sweetie!" Ms. Kwon's happy nature returned.

"Why did you scar Kris for life? Why?" He yelled over-dramatically.

"Aw, but you look so cute." I said lazily, flipping for other pictures. "Hey look you met Donald Duck! When Lu Han was younger that mascot stepped on his face. Even now, he's scared of it..." I grinned evily at that memory.

"You sadist!" He accused, jabbing his finger into my face.

"But you're so cute." I waved the finger away and continued flipping through the book. "I wish my mom did stuff like this. There's a total of like five pictures from my childhood."

"Chanyeol has about five for each year!" Ms. Kwon smiled.

My eyes bulged open. "Adopt me." I begged, grabbing her hand.

Chanyeol whined. "Don't...she's crazy!"

"Oh hush let the boy make me feel loved." Ms. Kwon snapped.

Chanyeol grimaced. "I love you Auntie."

She rolled her eyes and stood up. "Ok Kris as long as he's back by five thirty I won't hunt you down. I'll have you know I am in league with some very sneaky people."

"Yes ma'am." I saluted, getting up on my feet too.

"Oh wait! Since Kris doesn't have a lot of pictures, I'll take one before you both leave. Let me get my camera!" She ran out of the room, expertly avoiding her nephew.

Turning around, Chanyeol pouted. "Why me?" He asked the ceiling.

"You must've been a terrorist in a past life." I grinned over his shoulder, making him jump.

"Don't do that! She's probably going to take up an hour or so." He let his head drop.

"Back! Ok now stand in front of the door and pose. Both of you get your butts moving!" Ms. Kwon ran back in.

"Both of us?" The freshman whined.

"Yes!"

~

Once we arrived at the mall he became an energized bunny again. Even with my long legs, it was really hard to keep up with him.

"What were you even thinking of getting him?" I asked, finally catching up.

He froze. "Um."

My jaw crashed into the floor. "Are you serious?"

"I've been side-tracked, ok? And...I'm terrible with gifts." He looked down in shame.

I took a deep breath, wanting desperately for him to fail at his gift but I didn't want to make him sad. He already looked like a kicked puppy now...

"Well, what does he like?" I tried.

"Eyeliner." He replied immediately.

"Then get him that." I smiled, problem solved.

"That's a terrible gift!" He shrieked.

"Chill man, I'm joking. So...he's feminine?" I guessed.

Chanyeol nodded. "He's good at aegyo. And he acts like a girl sometimes."

"Why don't you get him one of those giant teddy bears that's impossible to carry around but somehow all girls seem to want?" I rambled.

He blinked. "What?"

"You know...the chiche things a boyfriend always does at the amusement park. When he wins a game for the biggest prize and it's a giant stuffed animal. You see it all the time in movies." I started feeling embarrassed. Was I talking in Korean?

He blinked. "I really don't watch movies."

"Excuse me, what?" I leaned in closer, trying to see if he was joking.

"I. Don't. Watch. Movies." He pronounced each syllable with care, embedding into my brain.

I grabbed the boy and wrapped him in a tight hug. "You poor, poor child. Did you perhaps start World War II in your past life?"

"Cut it out!" He yelled, shoving me away. I swear I saw his face redder than usual. "I still have no idea what you are talking about."

"Well in possibly every romance comedy out there, a man goes to an amusement park, wastes money on a game, somehow wins, and gives the prize to his special lady as a declaration of their ever lasting love." I summarized.

He snorted. "That sounds so stupid."

"I know it does, but it's the thought that counts. In a way, he puts her above his pride."

"Oh." He was probably logging it into his memory.

"Once I'm not grounded, you are coming to my house, and we are going to watch that scene. Purely for laughing purposes." I smirked.

"Should I be afraid?" He asked, widening his eyes.

"Yes." I grinned even more.

"Wait, you're grounded? Why are you out here with me?" Chanyeol was suddenly alarmed.

"Well, because I already told you I'd be here." I tried my best to smile without letting any blood rush to my cheeks.

"That's...sweet. But incredibly stupid." He slapped my arm. "What got you grounded?"

"Scorpio over here." I laughed and pointed to my shoulder. Honestly, I didn't want to talk about the fight with Chanyeol. Today was supposed to be happy.

"I feel this is my fault." He pursed his lips.

"It totally is." I agreed immediatly.

He sighed. "I'll buy you a present too. But you can choose yours."

"Awesome!" I fisted the air like a kid.

He rolled his eyes. "Ok...help me find something giant and fluffy. God, I hope he's going to be happy."

I rolled my eyes, not caring one bit about Baekhyun.

~

Once we walked into this Japanese store, Chanyeol spotted a giant Totoro and named it Steve.

"It was already given a name in the movie." I told him.

"Is there a movie for everything?" He groaned.

"Pretty much. It's name is Totoro and it...is the neighbor of little girls. I don't remember much of the film. Are you gonna get it?"

He nodded. "I hope he likes it. Oh, what should I get you?"

I shrugged. "What do you think suits me?"

"Are you challenging my skills as a future psychologist?" He smiled slyly.

"Testing. It's a nicer verb." I returned the smile.

"Hm." He looked up and down the aisles, in search of the perfect object. To be honest, even if he got me a bag of vegetables I'd be ecstatic.

"Are you two looking for something?" The lady at the register came up to us. Her accent was very heavy and I could instantly tell she was Chinese.

"Yes, I'm looking for a present for him." He gestured toward me. "What do you have for best friends forever? Like those necklaces that split best friend up? Oh, a manier type of item of course." He smiled.

The lady blinked twice. "I might have something...no it's for couples." She murmured in Mandarin.

"We'll have that, please." I responded in my mother tongue. She smiled, grateful for no loss in translation.

"You speak Mandarin?" Chanyeol gasped.

I blinked. "I'm from China." I tapped his forehead, laughing.

"Right! Derp moment there. What did she say?"

"That I am the iest beast on this planet and she's jealous of you." I sang.

"Ew. Creepy..." He muttered.

"I'm joking!" Then my eyes widened in mock horror. "What, I'm not y?"

"You are but-" He cut himself off. "I hate you."

"You need to learn to loosen up." I commented, raising an eyebrow.

He shrugged and the lady came back. "These are Yin and Yang rings. The Yin ring is black and has the white symbol attached on top. The Yang ring is white but has the black symbol attached. Tey connect and create unity and balance." She explained to me.

"What's she saying?" Chanyeol whispered, annoyed at the fact that he couldn't understand.

"I wear one, you wear the other, and we are forever basked in the love that we share-ow!"

Totoro was harmful when it was thrown onto your head.

~

"Ok since you bought me this I'm buying you a treat." I bargained. "And I'm sorry for teasing you so much. You are just the cute puppy I never had."

"Deal!" He sang, jumping at the thought of sweets. "Let's get crepes!"

"Why crepes?"

"Because crepes make everything better!"

Soon we found a bakery that made crepes. He ordered a chocolate one while I got a raspberry. He made a disgusted face at my choice.

"You are just so picky!" I whined. "And abusive. I feel like the husband in a comedy sketch."

"I don't watch TV either." He stuck his tongue out.

"What do you do?" I gasped.

He shrugged. "I read. You look like you never picked up a book in your life."

My eyebrows furrowed together. "Chanyeol, my reading level in third grade surpassed a college student's. I finished The Divine Comedy in fifth grade."

His eyes widened. "Seriously?"

I nodded. "English is the one thing I'm good at. I'm a Senior and I'm still in Algebra 2. This is my second time taking it."

Now I was starting to sound pissy. God, why did I open my mouth?

"Do you...enjoy English?" He asked, careful where he tread.

"Yeah, it's the only thing that makes sense." I admitted.

"Do something with it then." He smiled.

~

That night, I had a dream about Chanyeol.

He changed somehow. He wasn't shy or angry at me for teasing. Instead, he smiled warmly...and it sent shivers down my spine.

I didn't know how he got into my house, but I just went along with it. He took my chin in his hand and  kissed me so delicately. His lips were soft but not as soft as I originally thought. While I was immersed in his kiss, he wrapped his arms around my neck and pulled me down into the bed.

At some point, our clothes disappeared and I acted completely on instinct. It drove me mad how his gasps and moans filled the room.

But the bliss ended when he flipped over, flashing his lower back into the moonlight.

Baekhyun's

I woke up in cold sweat, suddenly finding myself to rethink my approach.

______________________

Not dead!

So I realized this whole fic didn't need to be rated so I decided to just rate selected chapters. Hope it helps!

Also if you have the chance please visit my latest blog. There's a a link there so you can watch my first youtube video! I will be reviewing anything K-Pop so send me things you'd like me to talk about!