Preventing Stress

Special To Me
Normally, Tao didn't like being cuddly with someone. Around the time of birth, he cried horribly whenever our mom would try to hold him. It broke her heart.

But Tao loved to touch other people. It could be a simple poke or a rare hug. He was friendly enough, but his boundries needed to be respected.

It was times like these where we wished we bought a kitten or something. He needed something to hold when he was upset about some trivial thing, and his Stitch doll didn't always work.

~

"Now remember. Even though Gege is in a sitting position, do not sit on his lap." I reminded my brother.

He huffed. "I'm not stupid!"

I narrowed my eyes dangerously. "Remember last time you didn't  listen to me?"

He gulped over-dramtically.

"Exactly. I'm always right, so don't challenge me." I said softly.

Tao nodded softly.

We were in the car, driving to pick up Lu Han from the hospital with his new wheelchair. My parents had to go back to work before they lost their jobs, so the responsibility fell on my shoulders.

"Is Gege angry at me?" Tao whispered.

I blinked. "Of course I'm not."

"Other Gege." He clarified.

I was silent, trying to focus on the road. "No. He was just scared you'd get hurt."

"I bruised my knee. It really hurts..." He whined.

"Then tell him that was all you got, ok? As long as you didn't break anything." I said, trying to swerve past a yellow light before it turned red.

~

"Oh good, my princes have come to rescue me." Lu Han greeted as we walked in.

"I didn't know you were being treated so cruelly." I joked.

Tao instantly burst into tears. "Is it this bad? I'm sorry Gege!"

"Come here, Tao-Tao." Lu Han held out his arms. He instantly ran into them.

It may be because of the close relationship, or the fact Lu Han is who he is, but Tao has always been comfortable with him. It was like, no it was that, Lu Han always knew how to treat Tao. In times I never knew what to do.

"I-I'm s-s-s-sorryyy..." He slurred through his fit.

"I'm just glad you're ok. Didn't you think of what could happen if you fell?"

"No...I just...wanted to play..." He cried into Lu Han's shoulder.

"Next time, we'll play frisbee or something, ok?" Lu Han told him, kissing his cheek. "Once I'm done with physical therapy and can walk again."

Tao nodded, his eyes glued to the ground.

Lu Han took Tao's hands into his. "I will walk with you again. I promise."

I could only hope.

~

"I've been thinking, because that's the only thing you can really do in a hospital...we should get Tao a pet."

Lu Han's words surprised me as I chopped up some garlic for the spagetti. "Are you nuts? He left his fish to die once he got bored of them..."

"I'm perfectly sane, thank you. But it makes sense right? He's so overwhelmed about the guilt he feels. Its bad stress, and the only way to get rid of it would be something adorable he could play with."

"In theory, maybe. But mom and dad don't like pets, remember? Mom's afraid of dogs."

"Good point. Let me find a way around that and get back to you." He wheeled himself out of kitchen.

A half-hour later, when I was done cooking, he came back, all smiles. "I hope you made a lot."

I grimaced. "That's always my problem. I make too much of anything I cook."

"Good! Because I invited Kai and his dog over."

I deadpanned. "What..."

"It's the best of both, sorry, three worlds. You need time to study, right? So Tao will be distracted by Kai's dog and I'll be there to watch him and chat with Kai. Problem?"

I thought about it. My grades have been all over the place lately, and I never had a lot of time to review my homework after I finished it...

"Ok. When is he gonna be here?"

"About five minutes. Can you set up the ramp for me so I can get into the backyard?" He batted his eyes.

I laughed. "Only because you're a cripple. The world has to pity you now."

If I wasn't setting up the ramp, he probably would have called me a . Jokingly, of course.

~

An hour later I looked outside my window.

Lu Han had the biggest smile spread across his face. I hadn't seen him smile like that for a long time.

Kai was sipping his drink laughing at something Lu Han said.

Both faced the direction Tao was playing in. He had the dog in his arms, hugging and kissing it. The dog responded warmly, Tao's face like it was a big ice cream cone.

There was no room for me.

~

"Kris, I want to talk to you." My father said as he closed my bedroom door, seating himself on my bed. By now, it was late, and a sane high school student would have crashed an hour ago.

"You know I love you, right? I love all of you." He began.

I nodded, not entirely sure where he was going.

"So it hurts me when I'm lied to."

The panic wormed its way into my chest, infecting my heart to beat at a faster pace than normal.

"Lied to?" My voice did not waver. But my heart sped up.

"I want to know what really happened that day. When Lu Han broke his legs."

He stared into my eyes, searching for an answer he already knew. He just searched for confirmation.

"I told you everything." I insisted, my breathing becoming slower. Had the room always spun this rapidly.

"I don't think you have. Please...for once. Talk to me."

"I'm very tired, I should go to sleep now." I said abruptly. If I was going to faint, it was going to take place in the form of a normal bedtime sleep.

"...ok." He gave in. "Goodnight, don't overload yourself." He got up and exited my room.

How was I going to protect Tao when our biggest enemies were inside our own home?

_________________________

Tomorrow (today actually its like 12:30 am) is my last day of school!! So I got excited. And a smidgen of Kaihan. Like? Don't like? More Krisyeol in the next chapter.