Chapter8: The Roommate

North and South Poles


Location: Shizen Academy

First Day of Camp

Shizen Academy will be the newest of the high-classed private schools in the city which mainly focuses on the field of sports and arts. It’s located quite far from the main city and is constructed near a lake at the foot of a mountain. The beauty of nature is carefully preserved and protected. Everyone staying at the place will always breathe fresh air. The 4-story building is newly built. The ground floor is where the music theater, art gallery, swimming pool and the gym are located. The second floor is where the classrooms are situated and the remaining floors are dormitories. The building is hollow at the center when viewed from the top. The inner walls which are made up of tinted fiber glass allow the view of the soccer field which has a moveable roof in case a bad weather interrupts the game. The main entrance door is motion sensor activated with security cameras fixed in the hallway. Inside, you can still smell the faint scent of the acrylic white paint on the walls with powder green accents in the rounded columns embossed with vines and leaves. The arched ceiling is quite high with fluorescent lights situated at the center of the hallway encased in frosted glass frames. An elegantly designed chandelier hangs in the main hall which is made mostly of Swarovski crystals that glitter as soon as light hits them. A logo of Shizen Academy is placed at the center of the main hall’s floor. The stairs are made up of polished marble with two-toned brass railings. It had two separate twin elevators of which the left is assigned to the boys’ dormitory and the right leads to the girls’ dormitory. Truly, Shizen is a school for the upper class of society but scholars are also welcomed.

As soon as the dorm clerk gives the key to Mina’s room, she hurriedly went upstairs. She was busy finding the room number without even noticing the rooms she had passed which is located almost at the end of the left side of the building.

Mina: Luckily Rika-san thought I’m a boy! Ahh...finally arrived at my room! (stops at the door with a “205” sign)

As she inserted the key to the doorknob, a voice from the intercom is heard making her stop at what she was doing at the moment.

Voice: Attention! Room 205 is prohibited to students! Only authorized personnel are allowed.

Rika: (runs toward Mina) Fujii-kun!

Mina: Rika-san?

Rika: I’m sorry I am being clumsy again… Here is your room key.

Mina:  Oh! Room 405?

Rika: You have to take the main stairs to get there. The elevators are having their maintenance right now. I’m sorry for the inconvenience. I can help you carry your things!

Mina: Eh? Isn’t there any other way up?

Rika: I’m sorry. The only side stairs connecting this floor are those that lead to the ground floor. The dorms are accessible only at the main stairs from here. The 3rd floor is customized for sports enthusiasts and the 4th floor is designed for the arts and music. If you have any questions, just approach me!

Finally, they arrived at the main stairs.

Mina: Thanks for the help Rika-san! I can carry my stuff from here.

Rika: Are you sure? This bag is quite heavy. Well, take care then… I need to go back to my post! Bye!

Many have arrived and sadly had to use the main stairs to get to their rooms. As Mina lifted her things to climb the stairs, two girls are having a conversation.

Girl1: I don’t want to have a separate room with you.

Girl2: Me too. I’m just glad we get to spend the rest of summer together!

Girl1: Can I visit your room then?

Girl2: Sure!  I’ll see you later!

Mina: Hikaru-chan… how are you?

Flashback…

Hye kyo: *smirks* Seems like you’ll be spending the summer dancing with barn animals. I pity you. Don’t you feel bad about it?

Mina: What do you want with me?

Hye kyo: *gives a paparazzi photograph of Mina and JAEJIN* So, you know JAEJIN. Don’t tell me it isn’t you?

Mina: I don’t need to explain this thing to you.

Hye kyo: How about these? *gives her a set of photos in which she was with Seunghyun in a food counter and with Hongki holding her arm* you made quite a good set of friends, and they are all from the Five Treasures!

Mina: Why are you showing me these?

Hye kyo: Hmm… still not getting it? As usual, your brain needs recharging. I want you to do something for me… something for you to be busy with for the rest of your summer break. You think I’ll just let you go freely this time, ne?

Mina: And what would you do if I won’t do it?

Hye kyo: I did recruit Hikaru for a reason. If you fail to do my favor… she will suffer the consequences… and it will be your entire fault.

Mina: Don’t include Hikaru in this!

Hye kyo: Oh, she will be safe as long as you do the favor I humbly ask.

Mina:  *glares a bit then sighs* What favor?

End Flashback…

Mina: Hye kyo… this will be your last favor...

====

He arrived early to his room and was half glad and half disappointed that his roommate hasn’t arrived yet. This would be the first time for him to have a roommate and a stranger nonetheless. Well, not a complete stranger since he knew his name but other than that, his new partner still remains a mystery. His private space will not be as private as before. He just hopes that this roommate will not be the annoying kind and would just mind his own business.

Hongki: Why did I end up in this situation by the way? *creases brow and runs his hand through his hair*

He was a person engulfed with the beauty of art and for an artist to give out his best; he believes he needs to have more time with himself, meditating often to find another idea of what to make whether in the form of sculpting, painting or his best asset, sketching. He was glad his “brothers” know when to bug him and when not to. He often sees them having fun and tries to not be so out of place but with the kind of lifestyle he’s been into, socializing is his liability.

So this simple gesture of greeting his roommate bugs him to the extremities. Should he say hi and wave his hand? Nah… it’s too girly… How about just giving him a nod and state his name immediately? Or the knuckle greeting most boys do? Having conflicts with himself on how to approach his partner lead him to the best solution… stroll around the building and come back to be greeted by his roommate. It’s better if he is the receiving end of the conversation. It’s better to end a conversation than start it, right? He unpacked his things and changes his clothes. He checks himself in the mirror for a bit and about ready to set out when the door creaks open. Someone is inside the room. The mirror gave a slight view of the hooded person behind him. As soon as he turned around, the person removed his hood and greeted him but stopped mid-sentence as to what he was supposed to say while gaping directly at him like he was some prime suspect. He himself was at loss of words as he saw his roommate… it reminds him of why he rejected being a coordinator.

Flashback…

A moody Hongki marched his way to the person in-charge of the summer camp. He never wanted to become a part of this workshop. Being a coordinator means destroying his plan of spending the summer designing an exotic looking object as his father’s birthday present. Yes, he loves his father the most because he always supports him on whatever he wants to do. As soon as he saw Mr. Kim, he made his way to his table when he noticed a video of a boy singing and playing an instrument out from his own composition is played at the screen of the monitor.

Shino: My dream is to let my music be heard just like Lee Jaejin’s! I want them to acknowledge me, Fujii Shino as a great artist too! Eh…eh… Mom, are you recording this?

Tsukiko: Can he be accepted for the workshop?

Mr. Kim: He has a potential. We will accept him to join the workshop! You have a talented child, Fujii-san!

Hongki: FUJII?

He looked at the woman then to the video of the boy studying both their features. Recalling the name made him remember the very girl who has made him love sketching and making it an addiction. He may not want to be a coordinator but he will join this workshop for sure! His Dad’s gift has to wait for a while.

End flashback….

Seems like having a roommate like the one in front of him ain’t such a bad thing after all…

Mina: Y-Y---ou’re that… You’re one of JAEJIN’s brothers right??

Hongki: Fujii-kun… eh?

==Chapter8 end==