Chapter11: Confessions

North and South Poles

 

Location: Shizen Academy

The whole room is silent waiting for Fujii Mina’s reply. All eyes were on her at that very moment except for her seatmate who is still focused on his sketch. It was a simple question: describe yourself using a specific object or living thing.

Ken: It’s okay, Shino-kun, don’t be afraid to speak up. I have seen your video and you are good in impromptu speeches, or is it because you are with the people close to you that it had given you confidence to showcase your talent?

Mina: I,I… it’s hard to compare myself to one thing, sensei. I still don’t know which thing I am mostly the same to… *lowers her head*

Ken: Well, since Shino-kun still is thinking about who he is, why don’t we ask his seatmate? I think you are ready for it, young man?

With that, Hongki looked up which surprised Ken-sensei. The mentor’s brows rose up after knowing who this young man is.

Ken: I never expected Lee Hongki to be here. I thought you are a coordinator of this event specifically in the art section?

Hongki: Writing is another form of art that I haven’t focused on.

Ken: Oh? Expect me to be hard on you, considering you quit my class 10 years ago.

Hongki: I’ll take that challenge, Ken-sensei.

Hongki is firm on his words as well as Ken-sensei. The old teacher and student met for the very first time in 10 years. Hongki was his best student before but he was also his worst pupil in terms of obedience. The child had his own world, his own justifications and contradicting ideas that their sessions never end without Hongki going out to sketch and avoid his sermons. One day, he just received a letter that the child quits as his student. As a teacher, it was a big insult to him and he still carries that burden for a very long time.

For a minute, it felt like the world stopped as Mina looked at the situation. God knows what possessed her that time when she left her seat and suddenly stood up causing everyone’s head to turn to her.

Mina: I am…. I am a chameleon… I can easily blend with the surroundings. I am not a person who likes to be noticed. I always want to observe rather than being observed at. It was fun! No one would dare to stop me from what I want to do. No one would care. No one would bother at all. I thought it was the best thing until one day, I realized… with so much neglect, even I can’t hear my voice. My opinions are unheard. Until now, I am struggling to be noticed, to be known once again. I wanted to let them know that I exist too.

Mina never knew what brought her to stand up and talk. She didn’t care at the looks of surprise she got from everyone, moreover on the tension that’s building up between both men. Or was it because of the question thrown at her that makes her think deep on who she really is and who she wants to be? She didn’t like the heavy feeling she felt. She need not be Shino just to answer that thing. She just had to be herself to be able to answer it.

It was an irony. The way she described on who she is to everyone in the room yet what she had done is the total opposite of who she thinks she is. She was already noticed and heard. It’s as if they share the same feeling with her that all they did was to listen and ponder.

A smile formed on Ken-sensei’s lips making him forget his frustrations to his old student. This Fujii has something in him that made even the stubborn Hongki listen to him. At first he was surprised that they let him join this workshop but he was wrong. Fujii  “Shino” might even be like JAEJIN in the future.

Mina’s serious face is gone and she was worried she might have wrecked his brother’s reputation. She was holding back a tear from falling and nearly ruined her disguise.

Mina: I’m so sorry… I’ve been rude…. Gomen Ken-sensei…. I didn’t mean to-

Ken: That’s a good one Shino-kun, as expected from you. With that, I’ll end this by giving you an assignment. Make a poem describing yourself with that specific thing you are comparing yourselves to. And I need it tomorrow. Ja ne! *leaves the room*

Mina: I did good… ??

She glanced at Hongki and he glanced back. He is smiling again and made her see what he was busily sketching a while ago.

Hongki: If you haven’t interrupted me, I might as well have helped you describe yourself by letting them see this.

He puts the paper directly on her face making her not able to see the drawing. Mina snatched the drawing from his hand but it slipped from her grasp gliding through the air and fell on one of their classmates’ desk. He got up from his seat and left the room.

Just then, everyone was talking about Hongki on how he is so cool and mysterious that they can’t even say hi to him or approach him normally. They were glancing at her too. Well, most of the girls are giggling and blushing. She was about to go out when suddenly one of her classmates blurted out.

Girl1: Fujii-kun, you are such a lucky one. To be Lee Hongki’s subject in his sketch is a rare thing! His subjects are highly chosen…

Girl2: I would gladly volunteer myself to be one of his subjects… Ah, you must be really something to have caught his attention! *places both her hands on her cheeks and starts to daydream*

Boy1: Man, he really is weird in making you into a girl but he really is good in making the details. I would be lying to say  this isn’t you. *everyone nods in agreement*

He showed her the sketch that was almost neglected. It was her in a hooded jacket exposing and emphasizing the hairclip on her hair. The pink ribbon design is a bit enlarged but they perfectly match the real thing. She was furrowing her brows and gave a cute pout. He just had to make her hair longer to make sure she is a girl when he made some strands fall outside her semi-covered head.

Boy2: I really can’t imagine you to be like this Fujii-san. You’re too manly to be a girl. *he laughs and the others followed suit*

Girl3: if you don’t like it, can I keep this then? Can I?

The girls were arguing on who gets the drawing. Mina is glued at her spot, mouth agape and eyes as wide as an owl’s as she recalled their previous meeting. He sure does have a sharp memory. She just wished the ground to open up and swallow her at that embarrassing moment.

Mina: THAT BASTARD!!!!!...and they didn’t even suspect me as a girl!!!!!!

====

 Baek Jinhee, a 21 yr-old famous actresses in the country volunteered to participate in the summer workshop just to see her self-proclaimed boyfriend, Lee Hongki who is 4 years younger than her. She made an agreement with him that he will never get a girlfriend until she finds the perfect man. Well, she forcefully made him signed her self-made contract and being the “I’ll-do-it-to-stop-you-from-annoying-me type of person”  wrote his name on the paper.

They are childhood friends together with Jaejin, Jonghun, Minhwan and Seunghyun but she lost contact with them when her family moved to the United States for business purposes. It all started when he saved her from some street thugs when they were still young. She ran from home because she argued with her father and got stuck in a dead end when two thugs asked for her money and jewelries. Luckily, he happened to pass by from his baseball practice and heard her scream. His baseball bat came in good use that time. The thugs only have knives to fight back. He is brave to fight those two thugs just to protect her allowing the time for the police to come. She had scratches but he had cuts and she blamed herself for his condition. It was then that she wanted a “boyfriend” to protect her and forced her classmates and schoolmates to date her and become her boyfriend. But he is the only one not scared of her and just told her to get a bodyguard instead. Left with no option, she forced him to be her boyfriend slash bodyguard.

Their “relationship” existed only in paper. The only ones who knew it are his “brothers”. It was supposed to be that way. They never ever dated but she always brings him to parties wherein she is forced to show her “boyfriend” around. He would come eat, and drink then will give a few nods to people and return her safely at home. Her father approved of him taking her everywhere because he is a trustworthy person.

She still isn’t ready for a real relationship until last month when his father asked her to marry and have kids so that he can still see his grandchildren before he leaves this world. And he wants the marriage to be as soon as possible. If only their relationship is real, it will not be a problem at all. She’s been troubled with her father’s request that seeing him is the best thing to share the situation she is in now. Seeing him coming out of his room, she made her way to personally tell him of the whole thing.

Jinhee: Hongkiiii… *hooked both her arms with his free one*

Seeing her smile so brightly like that made Hongki realize that he is going to face another problem this time… He just wondered how serious is it right now judging by how she is eager to see him.

They went to the rooftop and the sunset gives a fading red orange color in the clear sky. Both had enjoyed the scenery and neither started a conversation. The breeze starts to feel cold and just like it, her energy died down as her bright eyes become dull with her thoughts.

Jinhee: I need to tell you something…

Hongki: Shoot…

Jinhee: I didn’t know how to tell it to you but-

Hongki: So, who’s the father?

Her eyes widened, she is here to tell him of a very serious situation and here he is making fun of her. Somehow, a large vein on her head wanted to escape. She balled her fists and punched his shoulder. He never complained but only gave a short laugh.

Hongki: You should exercise to avoid being mistaken…

Jinhee: Hongki!!!! *she shouted out of anger and embarrassment*

Hongki: So the old man is eager to see troublemakers roaming around his mansion, ne?

Her eyes widened again. How come he always knows what she wants to say? It’s like he can read her mind.

Jinhee: He is expecting our marriage as soon as possible. This is not some joke anymore. He only wants me to be married to you.

Hongki: Why don’t you tell him about the truth that you wanted to be single for the rest of your life?

Jinhee: Who said about staying single? *she blurted out*

Hongki: You haven’t tried searching for “him” in the first place. *looking straight at her*

Jinhee: Why do I have this feeling that you wanted to have a girlfriend now?

He was taken aback and came out with a blank reply. She smirked and prepared her revenge as she saw his wavering eyes.

Jinhee: So my Hongki is in love now?

Her eyes were half opened like a cat’s eyes upon finding the prey and her grin is highly menacing that would probably shake every bone in the target’s body. But this is Hongki we are talking about, he cannot be easily scared with that gesture and just ignored her in return.

Hongki: Let’s go back inside, you might catch a cold.

Jinhee: Pfft… I’m not that weak!!!

As soon as she spoke the words, she sneezed three times. He chuckled and gave her his jacket leaving him with his t-shirt on. She was looking at his face. His eyes are beautiful as she is caught staring at them. His voice sounds so good to hear that she wants to keep listening to it. She somewhat feels the warmth of his jacket as an extension of his body heat and she flushed by what she is thinking. Furthermore, his pinkish lips look so good to touch as if like a pink marshmallow that melts well in the mouth. At that moment, the blood starts to rush up on her face the moment he touched her forehead.

Hongki: Yeah, you’re a tough fellow… even mr. flu is starting to be afraid of you… *sarcastically tells her then touches forehead*… and mr. fever wants to follow suit…Ya, off to your room!

Jinhee: *frowns but obeys* Ok. I’ll take my rest. We’ll talk later.

He holds her hand and guided her to her room while telling her that he is like escorting an old lady across the street. She tightened her hold and he yelped in pain signifying her irritancy. As they arrived at her room, he released his hold on her and waved goodbye fading to the other side of the building. It was always supposed to be her releasing her hand first, but at that moment she just wished she had grabbed it again. She placed her hand, the one he just held, close to her beating heart and felt the beats getting faster and faster. She might not have realized it but she seemed too late in loving him now that she knows his heart might belong to someone else already.

====

Location: Cheerdance battle venue

A proud Song Hye Kyo made her way to the registration area. She is quite confident that her team will make it to the top upon seeing the other competitors who entered. Suddenly, one familiar face saw her. it was Lee Minyoung, the dance battle queen.

Minyoung: I think I have seen you before, you participated on the dance battle 4 years ago, am I right?

To think that someone knew her from the popular dance battle held 4 years ago made her feel good inside. This girl might have seen her skills.

Minyoung: Oh, I remember now… you were with that girl who accidentally twisted her ankle right? Too bad, I thought battling with her would be the best thing. She really had nice moves then. I should’ve had met her before. Everybody tells me she’s really good and I haven’t witnessed her power. How is she now? Is she going to participate in this year’s dance battle?
 

Hye Kyo was stunned upon hearing the words and left the dance champion almost bumping into a post. She still can’t believe what she had heard. For all these years that she has worked hard to gain the popularity of a dancing queen, she was never ever noticed without Mina. It’s always about her. Even if she can’t do perfect turns now. Even if she hardly makes it to those difficult moves, everyone still praises her for the job. Even Tanaka-sensei, their team coach always has good things to say to Mina. He even wondered why she only allowed Hikaru to be in the elite team while Mina is improving better than her.

Hye Kyo: When will I ever reach your recognition??? Mina!!!!! I wanted to be known as Hye Kyo and not the girl who is partnered with Mina. Not the other girl!!! This is the last time they will know me because of you. From now on, Mina is gone and will never be known. This is Hye Kyo’s time… my time to reign supreme. I’ll show that dancing queen who’s the real queen!!! I will surpass you… I must!

==Chapter11 end==