The Strangers

Digital Love

The next day, Chun woke up with his head throbbing in so much pain. He pulled out his hair that currently looked disheveled and looked around to find no one but himself in a room. He ran a hand on top of the shelves where he last placed his change from yesterday in attempt to buy pain relievers, but once he got out from the guest room, Calvin got it from him and gave him a good scolding.

“Chun, man, how can you not invite us to your little tea party last night?” Calvin asked, while Arron and Jiro nodded at the side. “You know how important it is to be generous and to share, right?”

In a blink of an eye, Calvin snatched the bill off from Chun’s hold.

“Oh, shut up!” Chun exclaimed, reaching out to the piece of paper bill in Calvin’s hand.

“Oh, look at what we’ve got here,” Calvin furrowed his eyebrows at the bill when he noticed something strange, “There’s a number.”

“So?” Chun tousled his hair in pure annoyance, watching Calvin with a sunshine smile plastered on his face.

“Since it’s my birthday tomorrow…” Calvin paused, “I want you to call it.”

“What’s with people these days?” Chun asked himself and turned to see Jiro and Arron who just nodded their heads in approval. “That’s a very immature dare, Cal.”

“You’re brave, right?” Calvin rose up a brow, tempting Chun and his capability and testing what limits he’s got.

“Pretty much, yeah,” Chun agreed with a smirk. “But you wouldn’t need to ask that if you know me.” Chun, in attempt to go down the stairs, pushed Calvin aside and walked a few steps ahead of them before pressing his hard back on the brick wall. Jiro just pulled him aside, with the help of Arron and Calvin, because they were trying to get revenge.

With just the looks of their faces and how messed up and screwed up Chun looked, they knew he’ll do the dare and Chun would in no way escape this dare he’s faced with. He’s brave, anyway—he even self-proclaimed it.

--

Yet again another day…

Ella lied on her bed early in the morning, thinking whether the mystery caller would call her or not.

On the other hand, Chun was hesitating whether to call the mystery number or not. Lots of questions popped in his mind such as, ‘What would I get if I call the number?’ or something like, ‘Will it do me any good or would it just turn my life to a living hell?’ Then he talked to himself, “It’s never like me to be making friends with some stranger that I don’t even know. What do I do now that there’s probably no time to even turn back from this cruel faith of mine?”

Then the phone rang, as Ella sprung up to her feet in pure nervousness and so many emotions. The first thing that came to her mind upon hearing the sighing on the other line was that it was Selina trying to disturb her, and so she chimed, “Sel, I know what you’re about to ask me and I know that it’s definitely you!” She paused, “Whether the mystery caller would call, it’s what you want to ask, right? And I’d answer you now a ‘no’ for there’s no way possible someone would call someone who they don’t even know!” She heaved out a sigh right after saying her speech and waited for a reply from the person on the other line.

“Uhmm,” Chun muttered and cleared his throat continuously; trying to tell her that she isn’t perhaps the particular person who she thought he is. “May I know who this is? This is the lucky person who got the Taiwan dollar bill that was imprinted with your number.”

“Holy mother of *toot*,” She almost gulped her own saliva, trying to get a grip of herself. She didn’t expect at all that the call would be this soon, neither did she prepare for it. “I’m very sorry for having to have you hear my bad side,” She scratched the back of her head and pretended as if she was kind of interested in this thing, when the truth is she’s not.

“It’s okay,” Chun calmly replied and pursed his lips to once again try and ask her for her name, “If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your name again?”

“Shoot!” She exclaimed and pretended to fit out a laugh when in fact; she was really rolling her eyes non stop now and biting on her lower lip. She was trying very hard to think whether or not she’d tell this mystery person her real name or perhaps pretend and stop the act.

“Your name is Shoot?” Chun asked in confusion, trying to control his laugh.

“No, no,” Ella chimed, “What I meant was there’s this television show early in the morning that involves gun fighting.”

“Oh, right.” Chun agreed. “You mean ‘Shooter’, right? The morning show?”

“Yeah, you know that too?” Ella pretended to be familiar with the action show, even though she wasn’t in any least interested in it.

“By the way, so it’s bugging me, but what’s your name?” Chun asked once again, hoping to get a decent reply.

“If its okay with you, I’ll tell you tomorrow,” Ella looked at her calendar that had the month of May displayed. Today’s the 6th and tomorrow’s the 7th, but she assumes that she doesn’t have anything important for the 7th, so maybe she can go.

“Sure, so where?” Chun asked in pure excitement and interest of having to meet a new and female human being. After all, he’s been loveless for all we know.

“Anywhere you would want to?” She sounded quite unsure. Half stating, plus half asking him where possible he’d want them to meet.

“How about Nike? In front of the Tai Yuan University?” Chun suggested and waited for a response.

“Great, I live just nearby,” Ella exclaimed.

“By the way, I’m Jiro,” Chun lied, and with that, hangs up the phone.

--

Something's suspicious? What would happen next? Why did Chun say that his name's Jiro? And yes, it's intended, for everyone's information.