The Dare

Digital Love

Selina and Hebe, my dear best friends. Plus me, Ella Chen, are having the most devastating time of our lives. I mean, they’re not devastated; maybe it only applies to me. Selina was chatting with some random guys from the net, while Hebe was so busy studying for her upcoming bar examinations. Yes, ever since, she wanted to be a lawyer! I once tried to discourage her as well, because I was against it by saying that lawyers are liars, but she just won’t budge. What she says pretty much goes. And anyway, it’s not my life that I’d have time to bother about it.

While me? What do you think am I doing, anyway? I know you won’t find it, in any way, amusing. So, I might as well shut my mouth and get over what I’m doing.

So yeah, you see, I’m playing with a hundred Taiwan dollar bill, folding it in half, three fourths, and you name it! And then I got a ball pen and announced to myself that I’m going to vandalize it, but before then, Selina pulled me back and rose a brow up at me and then I looked back at her with confusion written all over my face.

“Missy, give it back!” All of a sudden, Selina exclaimed, “The ball pen. I freaking much need it for a while.”

“What…?” I protested. “I haven’t even used it.”

“If what you’re going to do would give you a love life, then I might as well approve of it.” She smiled a cheeky grin at me and pouted.

“What if I say yes?” But at the back of my mind, I was screaming, “No way in hell am I going to do such a thing even if I’m left all alone in the world with only one boy left, even if he looked handsome and even if people tell me that he’s the most handsome. But wait! If we’re the only people in the world, then I wouldn’t know if he’s the most handsome.” And then I laughed, that made Selina look back at me now with confusion written all over her face.

“Elle, I want you to do something,” Selina looked at me evilly with a hand placed below her chin as if she was thinking hard what she wants me to do.

“What?” I asked, irritated. “I’m not doing any of your stupid ideas, Nana.” I jerked-free from my position, loosened my grip on the ball pen, gave up, and gave it to her.

“No, you’re gonna do this.” Selina exclaimed and crossed her arms over her chest.

“Oh, no,” Ella shook her head, bewildered. “I know I’m brave and all Sel, but I won’t do your tricks for now.” She sarcastically chimed with a fake cheeky smile on her face.

“If you really are, then do it.” Selina rolled her eyes, pulled Ella nearest to her and handed her the ball pen.

“What am I really supposed to do, anyway?” Ella asked.

“Write your mobile phone number in that piece of paper bill,” Hebe said from behind.

Ella scratched the back of her head and pouted, “You too?” She heaved out a deep sigh and surrendered, “Fine! It’s easy as pie.”

“Good,” Selina praised, and with that, Ella wrote her mobile phone number on the piece of paper bill, without further second thoughts and hesitation. It won’t do her anything bad, anyway…maybe.