The Introductions

Digital Love

Just as he readied the number reflecting on his phone, he stood, still facing Ella, the woman he was previously talking to.

Upon calling the number, right in front of him, he heard a cell phone ringing.

In her mind, she actually thought that the man who she just talked with was the "REAL" Jiro, making her utterly shocked and the feeling of being nervous stir up inside her, but she chased those thoughts away upon calming herself and letting the phone ring for a couple of times still.

In a nick of time, he got irritated. The first reason being: the ‘mystery girl’ he was calling won’t answer and the second: he was getting irritated of the ringing phone right in front of him. Thus, he turned his phone off and approached Ella.

“Hey, aren’t you going to answer your phone?” he enquired, half-irritated and half-curious as to why she just won’t answer her phone.

“No, uh, yes!” she exclaimed. “In fact, I was on the verge of pressing the answer button when suddenly… the ringing subsided.”

“Good, then,” he said, and stood up yet again, “I’ll make the call again.”

On the other hand, she looked at her cell phone and unconsciously pressed the call button just as she looked at the missed call calls and who were they from. Fortunately, ‘Jiro’ was on the first spot. Thus, he was the one who she made the call to.

And he stopped midway in making the call when he heard his phone ringing and the screen read ‘mystery girl’. Just as he was about to answer it, it stopped ringing.

On the other hand, Ella heaved out a deep sigh and tried to calm herself down.

Once she has was the time her phone started ringing again and in fact, it was, because the man she was previously talking to was calling someone who she assumes is her.

This time, with a big regret, she answered the call.

“Hello,” from the other line, the man greeted.

“Hi,” she responded and fell from the bench as if in a cartoon kind of way.

Immediately getting the idea, he approached her side once again and helped her out by pulling her from the ground.

“Hello,” he greeted once again, offering his hand to hers, while chuckling a little.

“Hi,” she responded and accepted her offer, not with a laugh, but a bit of irritation forming on her face. “Is that all we could say?”

It was like she didn’t kind of want the idea for the ‘Jiro’ person to be him.

“Then, maybe I’ll say ‘ah, so it’s you!’,” he mocked.

“I kind of saw it coming,” she added that sent him drawing to conclusions.

“What do you mean?” he enquired, as they settled on the later on benches where they conversed comfortably.

“The minute you dialed the number of your mystery girl, my phone started ringing and I thought that you were that Jiro guy, was it?” she enquired. “Are you Jiro?”

“Ah, about the name,” he paused, “I lied.”

“I knew it!” she exclaimed. “That’s why my heart is telling my mind not to accept your invitation, because you’re a liar and you!” she pointed at him. “You’re some kind of under agent guy, huh? I reckon never paying this bill; I think you’re the one who’s responsible for it. The other day, before the put-my-phone-number-on-a-particular-bill, was when it happened.”

“What, what?” he enquired in pure amusement with the girl. “I don’t know any of this. Heh, mind you, I’m not some agent as you think I am.”

“Then, what are you?” she asked.

“Ah, I’m a young man who’s handsome, with airs—“

“I see that,” she cut in. “Your airy, y’know?”

He could only laugh.

“Why are you laughing?” she asked.

But he dodged the question and asked another one, “What’s your name?”

“Why should I tell you?” she asked.

“Because you’re talking to me,” he said, upon noticing that she’s stood up from her seat.

“I’m going,” she announced.

“Just so you know, I don’t let girls off easily,” he said, immediately standing up just as she started walking away.

And the minute when she was about to cross the road, he figured sooner that she was quite in a blur, making her out of balance and feel dizzy when all of a sudden, a truck appeared from the side.

Immediately, he came to her rescue and immediately grabbed her by the waist, shoving her to the sidewalk.

“I told you,” he said in between pants, “I never let girls so easily so long as I see them come home safely.”

Too lost for words, she didn’t even utter a ‘thank you’ and once again disappeared on the road.

This time, she successfully crossed the road with him following right behind her.

She stopped midway on her tracks and looked back, noticing that he was still following her.

“Won’t you stop?” she enquired. “I’m pissed off, and I’m not so feeble to say that in your face!”

“Why will I?” he retaliated. “And well, whoever said that you’d have to go acting like you’re weak toward me? All you have to do is to give me your name and we’re done.”

“Ella,” she whispered. “Ella,” she yelled, when she noticed that he still didn’t hear it.

“Can you talk in a more calm voice?” he demanded.

Her veins were popping out from utter irritation, but then controlled it once she thought of how this will all be over once she tells him her name, “Ella Chen.” And then she heaved out a sigh and walked away.

But a little later on, he hastily picked up his pace and followed forth behind her once again and grabbed her wrist.

“What again?” she enquired, and compressed her lips.

But before she could turn around and meet his entire being, her stomach gave out a growling sound, and then she sighed.

Swallowing all her pride, she said, “Seriously, can you treat me for breakfast?” she looked at her watch that read 12:30 PM, yet she haven’t had breakfast, nor lunch yet. She wondered why Selina wasn’t looking for her at this time of day, so she really didn’t know if it would do her good to come back home first or get to know ‘Chun,’ the stranger, more for now. “I promise that I would treat you better if you do,” she added with a forced smile, turning around to meet him.

“You’re going to a restaurant wearing those?” he enquired, pointing to her mismatched dog-fur slipper and flip flop.

“Do people care?” she enquired, mustering up all her courage to contain her irritation and messed up her hair. “It’s not like they know me or what, it’s even a benefit if I come by and eat at whatever resto or fast food we’re heading for.”

“I thought you’d treat me better?” he enquired, and smirked, well enough for her to see.

She rose up a brow and suppressed a smile, walking past him, “If you don’t want, it’s okay, but I thought that you don’t let girls easily off until they’re fine, so I’m really disappointed,” she tried making him guilty and well, it worked…

“Are you trying to make me guilty?” he enquired, and figured out sooner or later that the questioning had to stop.

Leaving him no choice, he picked his pace up again to catch up to her, and hastily grabbed out his hand to get a grip on her wrist, pulling her to wherever he wanted to settle until they arrived in one of the Japanese restaurants and she stopped whining.

“You didn’t have to grab me with so much force, you hulk!” she exclaimed and stuck out her tongue out at him.

Chun could only smirk, crossing his arms as he watched her massaging her almost-swollen wrist.

opened agape, ready to tear apart his skin with more deceitful words she was about to say…

“Sir, can I take your orders?” the waitress interrupted, and Ella closed upon the waitress’ approach.

Chun pointed to Ella immediately, making it an honor for her to be ordering first.

But she raised her palms in a ‘wait’ sign and stood up, saying that she’ll get what he gets.

“Where are you going?” he enquired.

“I’m going to the bathroom, want to come?” she smirked, rose up a brow, and she swore to herself that she just saw amusement and irritation on his face. He looked as if he was intimidated by what she’s showing him, but at the same time, amused to the very extent.

Immediately, he ordered for two meals, thinking that she’d perhaps like it.

The minute she got back settled to her seat, was also the time that she nestled her chin right on top of her hands that rested on top of the table.

“What did you get?” she enquired, looking very bored.

“I got a milk shake and two meat buns,” he lied.

She gulped, knowing that it wasn’t enough to ease her hunger, but decided anyways to just accept what blessings she’d be receiving. But hey! She told herself and shook her head a couple of times.

‘Can I expect a meat bun and a milk shake in a Japanese restaurant?’ she asked herself and turned her head up to face him.

“You don’t look satisfied,” he laughed. “Actually, I—“

“You expect me to believe you that there are meat buns and milk shakes in a Japanese restaurant?” she questioned. “I ain’t that stupid, y’know?”

“Just as I thought,” he chuckled at her remark and their conversation was once again cut short when the waitress arrived and served them their meals.

“Enjoy your meal,” the waitress said, and then stepped out of the scene as possible.