Chapter 43

'Golden Mary'

Pulling the knife out slowly with Noh Ki Young’s opposition, he let out a breathless shudder and stabbed the knife into Noh Ki Young’s torso. The old man shook back and forth harshly in order to get him of, but Donghae wasn’t going to let go. Holding on with one arm he reached his bleeding hand around until he felt the old man’s pockets. His hand was trembling, it was unable to move, his fingers couldn’t move, but at least he still had the sense of touch. The cold blood trickled down his hand before he felt the warm key.

\ \ \ \ \

Seohyun and Siwon stumbled behind Victoria and Luhan as they escaped out the front door. Her pulse was beating real hard for some reason even when they were already out of the danger zone. The sun was halfway down the sky but that didn’t mean that the day’s light had gone out yet. They trailed further away from the home and Victoria felt her eyes scroll over to the hedgerow where she’d left Donghae. She needed to go back for him. There wasn’t a chance in the world that she was going to leave him.

“Hold on.” Victoria called to the others before running over to the hedgerow. “Donghae?”

Victoria’s pulse raced when her eyes scanned the empty grounds.

“Donghae?” it was almost a whimper, a low cry now. “Donghae! Donghae!”

“Victoria, what is it?” Seohyun hurried over.

With wide eyes and unstable emotions Victoria looked around and almost tripped on her own feet when she stumbled back.

“Donghae!” she screamed.

Luhan’s lips fell apart, Siwon’s eyes widened, and they all glanced back at the house. Victoria started to run forward but Seohyun grabbed her.

“What are you doing?”

“I have to go save him!” Victoria was unable to keep herself from screaming at the top of her lungs.

“No, you all head out to sea first. I’ll go back to look for him.” Siwon suggested.

“No!” Victoria shook her head.

“Victoria, come on.” Seohyun gritted her teeth and tightened her hold on Victoria. “Luhan, help me.”

Victoria fought from their hands, but Seohyun and Luhan persisted. With a long struggle she watched Siwon limp back toward the house while Luhan and Seohyun fought with her to the seaside.

\ \ \ \ \

Siwon could feel his heart pounding. It was drumming so fast in his ears that he could be hyperventilating right now. When he neared the home again a loud gasp fell from his lips. The second floor was almost demolished. Bright orange yellow flames were eating away at every raw material there was. The windows were collapsing under the heat and Siwon had to nearly dodge from getting stabbed from them.

Walking back into the home Siwon rushed back down the hallway, turning here and there, making sure he searched every cranny and nook.

“Donghae! Donghae! Where are you!?” Siwon screamed, the heat from the thick fire getting to him.

Its flames were traveling quick and the gas was high in the air. Seohyun was right. It was dangerous for them to be there.

“Dong…” he started and froze when he turned to his right.

Donghae stood leaning against the hallway, his hand…his body in bloody heaps. Siwon’s lips trembled and he rushed toward him forgetting that he was stabbed himself.

“Donghae!” Siwon screamed grabbing his shoulders. “We have to go!”

His heart hurt to see his friend shaking. Slowly, very slowly Donghae held a hand up and Siwon watched the silver key to the boat Noh Ki Young had hidden in his pocket dangle from his friend’s hand.

“Go.” Donghae muttered.

“No!” Siwon refused. “I’ll carry you. We all have to get out of here together!”

“Go!” Donghae screamed and forced the key into Siwon’s hand before pushing him. “Save Victoria! At least make sure she’s alive…please…”

Donghae energy-lessly slouched against him forcing him to the ground along with him. Siwon fell onto his back, his whole body aching with pain. A slur of painful moans dropped from his lips before he heard someone thudding against the ground. When he half pulled himself up he saw a bloody Noh Ki Young crawling toward them. Fear struck Siwon all over. It was like a horror movie.

“Go.” Donghae repeated, his bloody hand pushing Siwon back. “Go.”

Siwon’s lips trembled. He didn’t want to…he couldn’t bear to leave a friend behind…

“I’m sorry,” Donghae spoke quietly, strength-less, “I couldn’t do anything for you. This is all I could do.”

He pulled himself up, his blood smearing against the bright yellow wall.

“Save them…and tell Victoria…I love her so much…”

Donghae pressed his lips together before knocking into Noh Ki Young and all Siwon could do was force himself to his feet, tears splurging from his eyes angry with himself for being so unable to do anything.

\ \ \ \ \

Seohyun’s clothes were dripping with water but she couldn’t spare the time to squeeze them dry just yet. Victoria was still struggling so hard in her grasp that she had to really right to keep a hold on her and she was sure Luhan was trying his best for them as well. When they got nearer to the sea she could hear the waves lapping against the shore and the pebbles rolling along it quietly. It was almost over…

Luhan stopped from Victoria’s left and Seohyun quickly followed his gaze. There on the rocking boat stood another one of Noh Ki Young’s man.

“That’s An Kor, my father’s right hand man.” Luhan told.

Seohyun turned from Luhan back to the man on board.

“Luhan, stay here, don’t let Victoria go,” Seohyun ordered.

Luhan nodded in reply and Seohyun stepped forward.

On her second step she heard Luhan scream loudly, “Seohyun!”

As Seohyun began to turn Victoria whipped past her and jumped onto the boat. Within a mere moment she was strangling the helpless An Kor, slamming his head against the deck, screaming and bellowing out words Seohyun couldn’t make out. Seohyun’s jaw dropped at how ruthless Victoria was being. She was aware of Victoria’s temper but she had never known for Victoria to show such anger through her actions.

In a panic she and Luhan ran forward and reached for Victoria’s strong arms. With a few attempts Victoria managed to fling them back and Luhan even fell back into the other end of the deck horridly. Victoria was madly strong. Seohyun was almost certain she wasn’t sane anymore.

“Victoria! Victoria! Stop! You’re going to kill him!” Seohyun cried locking her arms underneath Victoria’s in a desperate attempt to hold her back, but Victoria still managed to move. “Victoria! Please! Please stop!”

Sad tears seeped from Seohyun’s eyes aware that they were unable to help Donghae for her, realizing how heartbroken Victoria was over the fact that they couldn’t go back for him. After a few minutes, Victoria slumped in her arms and fell to the ground in a heap of endless cries.

When Seohyun looked up Siwon was running toward them. How she wanted a hug from him, but the thought carried itself away when she saw the tears falling from his face. Siwon ran into the water and untied the boat from harbor before climbing into the boat. Seohyun wrapped her arms around Victoria and twisted around to watch as Siwon the engine. During the entire time of his silence she saw his body shake from sobs and the quiet sniffs he was trying to conceal from them.

Seohyun ducked immediately when a loud combustion blasted in the air, a wave of heat flew at them drenching them in their own sweat. The boat engine roared to life and Siwon drove away from the burning land behind them. And in her arms, Victoria screamed and cried crazily. Seohyun’s heart had never broken into so many pieces before.

None of them would ever know of the promises Donghae had made to Victoria. He would never cook breakfast for her anymore. He would never be there at the end of the day waiting for her. Donghae would no longer be there to fulfill his promises.

Victoria wept to no end.

\ \ \ \ \

9 months passed.

Luhan had handed the ‘Golden Mary’ to Seohyun and without Victoria she returned it to the government. Investigations splurged and news broke out all around about Noh Ki Young’s unfair play. Hong Chong Il attended court sessions as often as he ate and slept. Lee Sook Chin, Yun Man, Gi Su, and the many others were called out. And for the coming years the trials would never end. Blackmails and blames would always be put on others.

When things quieted, Seohyun and Siwon decided to get married.

Luhan didn’t return to the manor his father owned, but rented a cheap apartment where he stayed that following 9 months after Donghae died. He rarely saw Victoria since she never stepped out of the apartment. Without his knowledge she had already returned to government, and Seohyun retired from her job.

It was on a damp, but sunny Saturday when he started down the walk for a moment of peace before heading to Seohyun and Siwon’s reception that he saw her. On a large grassland empty of trees Luhan stopped in his tracks when he saw Victoria sitting at the far end of the hill looking out at the forest ahead. Like him, she was also dressed up and ready to go to the reception.

Pressing his lips together he silently walked over and sat beside her. Together, like always, they sat in silence. He couldn’t ask whether Victoria’s heart still ached or not. He couldn’t ask if she was holding back her tears. He couldn’t ask anything at all.

“You predicted once, that if I kept pretending everything was alright, I would lose everything.” Her voice was quiet, peaceful with a tiny edge of sadness.

“You didn’t lose everything.” He pointed out.

“I was really a coward,” Victoria blinked her eyes, the wind blowing her loose hair back, “if I was braver I could have done more. We weren’t…even able to do anything. There wasn’t a moment where I stopped hurting him.”

Luhan slightly turned to look at her.

“I’m sorry.”

“For what?” Victoria asked. “For having survived?”

Luhan opened his mouth but didn’t say anything because he didn’t know what to say.  

“What are you going to do now?” Victoria wondered standing up.

Luhan stood up along with her. “I’m going back to China, maybe return to school, and spend some time with my mother.”

“I quit my job,” Victoria told with a smile, “I guess I should go see my mother too.”

He looked at her. Victoria suddenly looked brighter again. Whether she was getting over Donghae’s death or not was not his to worry. She was doing well, and she looked it as well.

“I’m going to be braver and go after my feelings this time,” Victoria expressed with determination. “Donghae believes in me, so do you and Seohyun.”

Luhan didn’t say anything.

“I mean it.” Victoria promised and turned to face him. “Thank you, Luhan. I didn’t come to the suburbs of Seoul to find friendship or love, but I did. You’re a very great person.”

“You’re a great friend too.” Luhan smiled.

He saw tears sparkle in her eyes before Victoria hugged him genuinely.

“You always comforted me, thank you.”

Victoria let go of him slowly with another smile.

“Lets talk later, they should be waiting.” She suggested.

With a nod of his head he started back down the trail alongside Victoria. Yes, it was this kind of momentary happiness that he really lived for. It was these great times that made him feel like he could keep going on. He had friends and a mother to keep him from loneliness.

“Your face is beet red,” Victoria nudged him with a joking laughter, “I guess you did like me somewhat.”

“I did not!” he retaliated.

\ \ \ \ \

Seohyun and Siwon’s reception ended on a perfect note. They were a happy couple Victoria envied from the bottom of her heart. When Seohyun came down the staircase, arm interlocked with Siwon’s she stopped by her.

“Thanks, Victoria, for everything. You’re really…awesome,” Seohyun hugged her. “Lets see each other some time.”

“Of course,” Victoria hugged her back before turning to see Siwon. “And you too, take care of Seohyun as yourself.”

Slightly wrapping an arm around her Siwon nodded, “Be happy. You definitely deserve it.”

“I know.” Victoria sincerely smiled before watching them walk on.

Even if Siwon and Seohyun walked farther in life than she, she would never lose her touch with them. So much had happened in such short time that Victoria felt quite empty at the moment, but she’d never forget the never ending warmth Donghae had presented her. He was watching and she needed to meet his expectations in order not to disappoint him when she saw him again.

She would fully await the day when she would wake to a table full of breakfast made by him, but before that she needed to complete her own story proudly and happily. The life she always yearned for was only a step away. 


***First of all I have to say thanks to Toria101 who gave this brilliant challenge, which turned out into all this ^^ I still remember I was so very bored that day and had no idea what to do but she stopped by my blog and offered me a challenge which I accepted happily. Thanks, you! 

***It's not perfect, I may have left a few gaps (I couldn't really see any though), but I'm satisfied with how everything ended. 

***You lose people and things in life but that doesn't mean it's the end. When a door closes, another one will open for you. There's always a long road ahead of you and you may never reach the end but all we can do is strive for our own best. Friendship is really valuable, other than family, friends are the people we can connect with the most. 

***I thought long and hard and honestly another happy ending didn't suit my taste for this story. I wanted to do something bittersweet for once or maybe again hahahahahahah Anyway this is got to be the shortest story I've written in years. Most have at least succeeded 60 chapters ^^ but this was a challenge to begin with and I wanted to captivate readers by writing one interesting thing right after another, so I hope there was a lot of excitement when you first started reading the story. I had a lot of fun thinking about all this too ^^

***Unlike Defence where I wrote up an alternative ending due to the requests of my readers, I won't be doing the same for this one. Victoria is living the life she's yearned for after Donghae's death and she's learned about holding what's important to her witout fear. I do feel that she is one happy character who has good and bad memories. But then, we all have good and bad memories, we sitll live, and we can still be happy ^^

***Thank you for reading, lovelies! ^^ I hope to see all you dearies around agian :D 

***I'm currently working on Forget, Don't Forget - The Story since I've used so much of Victoria these past years. It's just a romance story with no mystery involved. Stop by if you're bored and stay to read it if you feel interested. See everyone around!!