Chapter 11

'Golden Mary'

 

\ \ \ \ \
 
“Do you like him?” Luhan tossed a rock into the river. 
 
Seohyun sat on the ground beside him leaning back on her two arms, her eyes closed as the breeze brushed against her. Her pony tail slightly swayed along with it and she turned to see Luhan staring out across the long bridge. 
 
“Who?” she asked. 
 
Luhan turned to him with a small frown, “Has your brain been burnt out too?” 
 
Seohyun frowned at him before turning away, “Choi Siwon?”
 
Luhan didn’t reply. 
 
“Yes,” Seohyun finally said after a long while. 
 
Everything quiet but the waves lapping against the stone walls. The depths of them were scarily dark that Luhan couldn’t quite bring himself to stare into it anymore. Lifting his eyes up he glanced into the vast sky. It brought him a kind of lonely yet calm feeling. The loneliness wasn’t too sad that it would sink his heart, it was just there accompanied by a small bliss. What to call it? A lonely kind of happiness? 
 
“He’s good looking, he’s got a body a girl would yearn for, a man would envy, he looks smart, he’s a cop, he’s strong, his smile brings butterflies to the stomach,” Seohyun’s descriptions trailed on. “He’s very handsome and I don’t think he’s got a girl yet.” 
 
She giggled girlishly before turning to look at Luhan who snorted at her. 
 
“You really do sound sick,” Luhan commented, “ever thought of visiting a doctor to heal that illness of yours?” 
 
Seohyun scowled at him, “You’re just jealous I’m crushing on someone.”
 
Luhan didn’t bicker with her. 
 
“Yah, I’m just kidding,” Seohyun said in a tone of comfort. 
 
“I’m not hurt if you’re crushing on someone,” Luhan told without turning to look at her while crossing his legs. “It doesn’t really matter to me, honestly. I only liked you for a few weeks anyway, if that’s what you were angry about.”
 
In high school, there’d been a rumor about his feelings for Seohyun, his feelings had soon become a joke for the whole school. It had surrounded them for particular months on end and soured their relationship slightly, even if they still maintained their regular dose of friendship, there had been something slightly off. And just as the school year ended, Seohyun’s parents were getting a divorce and he had been forced abroad. All that had been left was a note of apology.
 
It was true he’d liked her. Luhan had confessed it to a friend who promised to keep it a secret, but secrets don’t just stay secrets. In a mass high school with many students the news floated around. The feelings of crushing on Seohyun had been refreshing and new until they started to float away when Seohyun obviously tried to act herself in front of him. A hint of awkwardness had added itself into their circle of friendship. 
 
Sure, they were simple friends now but nothing of what they had now could destroy the rumors back then. Luhan could only look at Seohyun’s back and keep a look out for her. He didn’t know how much longer he would be able to do that though. Not with the ‘Golden Mary’ in the picture. The ‘Golden Mary’ would still have to come before all else.
 
He turned around with a smile and looked at Seohyun, “I still think Victoria’s hot.” 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
“Hyuk, Hyuk, Hyuk!!” Donghae screamed running into the empty theater and grabbed Hyukjae. 
          
He screamed fighting to find his foothold on the ground before they’d both fall on the ground before prying Donghae’s grip off him. 
 
“Geezes! What in the world do you think you’re doing!? I could’ve broken a bone, you jerk!” Hyukjae scolded loudly. 
 
Donghae listened as his voice bounded off the brick walls before grasping onto his shoulders jumping in joy. He let out a scream before Hyukjae put a hand over his mouth. 
 
“What?” he asked without much care. 
 
Donghae broadly smiled, “I told her! I told her! And she doesn’t mind keeping in contact! Is this good news or not!?”
 
Hyukjae shook his hands off, “So what? What about the ‘Golden Mary’?”  
 
“Ah…I’ve decided to forget about it,” Donghae replied. 
 
“What!!!???” 
 
“If she’s looking for it, I’ll help her look for it,” Donghae smiled self-determined. 
 
Hyukjae shook him, “Come back to your senses, Donghae!!! If you don’t do this for yourself, who is!? Definitely not the girl you’re squealing about! There’s not even a 50% chance that she’ll have feelings for you!” 
 
“You don’t know,” Donghae positively refuted before turning away. “Haven’t you heard of ‘As long as you sincerely love something, they’ll come to love you someday too’?” 
 
Hyukjae narrowed an eye at him, “Don’t tell me I didn’t warn you. You’re just going to get yourself hurt in this process. Do you know how much agony a one-sided love can gift you with? It’s horrible and you’re for sure going to feel like someday. Ok, forget the ‘Golden Mary’ then.”
 
“Yah…” Donghae stared at him , “you don’t need to put me down so bad. At least be a little happy for me.” 
 
Hyukjae drew a fake smile across his lips, “Sure, go chase after her and I hope she will someday love you back, whenever that is.” 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
When Victoria returned to the apartment she found Luhan in the living room listening to his mp3, Seohyun in her room on the computer. Retreating to her room she flopped down onto her bed dreamily thinking about the movie she’d seen with Siwon. There hadn’t been a minute she had really paid attention to the storyline, but Siwon who sat next to her. His eyes had been so dashing. The feeling was so overwhelming Victoria wanted to giggle. 
 
“Unnie!” Seohyun appeared at the door. 
 
Victoria shot up gathering herself into her serious state.
 
“Do you want to have a drink with me tonight?” 
 
“Tonight?” Victoria repeated. 
 
Seohyun nodded. 
 
Victoria smiled, “Ok, why not!”
 
Seohyun turned around to walk away and Victoria stood up to stretch before heading out into the quiet hall. The old smell of the apartment was suddenly starting to fade away and Victoria hadn’t taken notice of it, at least not anymore. It had been so strong and vulgar when she and Seohyun first moved in. The thought of the memory made her feel a little sick. 
 
Victoria headed down the hall passed Seohyun’s bedroom to find that she was gone and continued on. She poked her head into the living room to find Luhan’s eyes on the ground, his backpack on the other end of the couch. 
 
Holding onto the frame of the door she asked, “Aren’t you ever bored in here?” 
 
Luhan’s head immediately shot up and he glanced at her before plucking out his earphones. 
 
“You almost scared me.” 
 
“Tsh…” Victoria tried not to laugh as she stepped in. 
 
He quickly removed his backpack urging her to sit before looking away. Victoria glanced at him before sinking into the couch. 
 
“I haven’t once sat here before,” Victoria said leaning her head back. 
 
“Really?” 
 
“Mm,” Victoria nodded. “Have you met up with any friends, your family?” 
 
“Oh…yea,” Luhan nodded, his eyes apparently on the wooden floor. 
 
“Has there been anything in particular that’s on your mind?” Victoria wondered. 
 
“You’re striking up another conversation with me,” Luhan commented before looking at her. 
 
“Since talking to Seohyun is kind of boring some times,” Victoria said before laughing a little. 
 
They quieted and Victoria watched Luhan play with his fingers. 
 
“Seohyun’s quite capable, isn’t she?” he asked. 
 
Victoria turned to look at his childish face. She still had a hard time believing he was actually older than Seohyun. 
 
“You’re not very burdened by her, at least it doesn’t look like it,” Luhan told. “I don’t want to ask anything of you, really, I have this feeling when I look at you that you wouldn’t reject any kind of request asked of you. I haven’t been around long enough to define your character, but being around you makes me feel like you take care of others well.”
 
“I think you said something like that before too.” 
 
Luhan looked at her with a sigh-full smile, “No, really, I mean it.”
 
“Ok,” Victoria nodded her head. 
 
“There’s been a rift between Seohyun and I in the past,” Luhan started, “so I can’t really look after her as well as I used to. I have a feeling she might do some foolish things, can you look after her for me too?” 
 
Victoria glanced into his eyes. This kid was really being sincere. 
 
“It might sound rude, but do you like her?” Victoria asked. 
 
“No, not anymore,” Luhan replied. 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
When Seohyun stepped out of the apartment building she paused when she discovered Siwon pacing back and forth. 
 
“What are you doing here?” Seohyun asked surprised. 
 
He stopped and turned to look at her before letting out a nervous laugh. 
 
“Ah…I was just…you know…walking around.” he stuttered. 
 
“Sure looked like it,” Seohyun joked. 
 
He laughed before saying, “I’m not exercising tonight.” 
 
“Ah…” Seohyun recalled the running competition the first night she saw him before smiling embarrassed, “I won’t ask that of you tonight. I was actually going to stop by the convenience store. Do you want to walk with me?” 
 
A few cars sped passed when they started down the sidewalk, Seohyun matching her footsteps with his. She really felt like a couple just walking with him like that. The bliss swarming around her felt like it’d sweep her off her feet. 
 
“What are you going to the convenience store for?” 
 
“Oh, I’m going to buy some drinks.” 
 
“For you and Victoria?” 
 
“Uh…yes.” 
 
Seohyun glanced at him wondering why he’d mentioned Victoria all of a sudden. And he looked somewhat happy to say her name too. 
 
“Are you working tonight?” Seohyun switched the topic. 
 
He shook his head. 
 
“Are you having a party of some sort?” he brought the topic back. 
 
Seohyun looked away and clasped her hands in front of her, “No. Actually, a friend of mine brought up some old memories. I just felt like reminiscing with a few drinks.”
 
Siwon nodded, “What kind of memories?”
 
Seohyun brushed her loose strands of hair behind her ear, “A high school friend.” 
 
“They do say high school friends are the ones who’ll stick around forever.” 
 
“Oh…really?” Seohyun edged her lips into a fake smile. 
 
“I’m so busy I can barely meet any lately.” Siwon tucked his hands into his pockets. 
 
Seohyun glanced at their reflections in the window displays as they passed by each window shop. 
 
“I see mine every day,” Seohyun commented, “I don’t know whether that’s a good thing or not.” 
 
Siwon lightly laughed beside her, “That should be a good thing, just you might get tired of that friend.” 
 
Seohyun laughed along with him. They entered the convenience store and Seohyun browsed around a few minutes before checking out. When she met with Siwon outside she dug into her bag and handed in an ice cream bar just as she had the first night she had met him there after their run. 
 
“For me? You didn’t have to,” he shook his hands. 
 
“I bought it for you,” Seohyun said. “It’s only polite to take it.”
 
She gestured it toward him again and Siwon took it with a thanks, and a smile. Seohyun smiled at him, her heart pounding in a rush. In a split second she inched her head forward planting a kiss on his cheek. The moment her cheek met with his warm skin she felt herself blush. 
 
“Good night,” was all she said stealing one more glance at him before running off. 
 
Seohyun dashed down the street in beat with her own pulse smiling and screaming. 
 
“I did it!” she laughed and yelled to herself jumping with one arm up into the air. 
 
It didn’t matter whether he would like her yet or not, at least she had to show him her feelings. Seohyun waved her head from side to side before skipping toward the apartment building. 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
The door opened and Victoria turned to see Seohyun walk in. 
 
“You were a lot quicker this time,” Victoria commented. “Luhan, come over for a drink.”    
 
He nodded and watched Victoria walk out of the room from the corner of his eye. It had been impossible to say it. It was difficult to tell someone as innocent as her that her kind heart was really too much. That the feelings inside him foretold him of Victoria’s withdrawal from herself and the world. And his instincts had always been right. 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
“Oh? Why’s your face red?” Victoria asked sitting at the table where Seohyun was setting out the drinks. 
 
She watched Seohyun reach a hand up to touch her cheeks. 
 
“I was running, really hard,” Seohyun lied. 
 
Victoria stared at her before opening her can of beer. Seohyun was always running everywhere anyway and whatever she’d been up to, Victoria didn’t feel the need to pry into her private matters. 
 
“Luhan!” Victoria called moving in her chair to try and get a glimpse of Luhan in the living room. “Do you want a drink?” 
 
Seohyun lightly swapped at her hand, “Why are you even calling him!?” 
 
“Why?” Victoria asked shaking her head when she looked up at Seohyun who was somehow still standing. “You’re just going to leave him out like this?” 
 
“Leave him alone.” Seohyun muttered sitting down. 
 
Victoria frowned at her wondering why when Luhan seemed to care so much about her, Seohyun was shrugging him of just like that. She sighed and took a long sip of the beer in her hand. 
 
“Anyhow, are we just going to sit still and wait for everything to hush down?” Seohyun asked. 
 
Victoria raised her eyes to her face, “Have you checked out the news about last night’s break in? How big of an impact is it?” 
 
“Well, I did get a good look at the paper,” Seohyun started, “it’s been declared nothing’s been taken, they’re wondering if this is linked to the other robberies or not because the pattern is different on so on. They don’t suspect anything yet, however, so all is clean. Just probably this Gi Su has heightened his own security force.” 
 
She smiled as if it were a silly play. Victoria took another sip of her can of beer. 
 
“Since you researched this one, I’ll look out for Yun Man,” Victoria suggested, “I heard he has a really nice home in the Park Side  on a hill. Would you think of that.” 
 
“That might be a difficult run,” Seohyun commented. 
 
Victoria thought yes, it’d be difficult but hadn’t been difficult for them so far anyway? Everything. Especially having to act like robbers and stealing in during the dark. Maybe this time it could be quite different, but chances upon that were slim. Yun Man was a man of many secrets, his private profiles had barely been shared with the public. All everyone knew was this tall strikingly popular man in college ran South Korea’s popular brand company, LG. As good as that was, Victoria didn’t even know the way to the park side. Perhaps she’d hike a taxi and go look around. As she thought on, the slickest idea suddenly struck her. 
 
“Actually, if we find someone who knows his way around that area, escape would be easy,” Victoria suddenly felt intelligent, her array of contacts was suddenly coming into positive light. 

***Wow, so many things occurred in this chapter! And now we finally know part of Seohyun and Luhan's past and why they drifted! So she's angry all he last said to her was 'I'm Sorry'. Honestly, I feel bad for Luhan here, but I have other things in store for him and his character does have a meaningful role in this story, as a friend to Victoria he will become :) And Seohyun gave Siwon a peck on the cheek! ^^