Chapter 13

'Golden Mary'

 

\ \ \ \ \
 
Seohyun paced around the apartment every few hours or so. Victoria was out for work and she didn’t know where Luhan had gone. She could only wonder what the two of them were doing outside. They’d been gone so long Seohyun was starting to feel a little weary being by herself. It was possible that she might feel a little lonely too. 
 
Sighing she sat at the kitchen table staring out into the street seeing a couple walk by and a few cars drive pass. Other than that, she didn’t really see much of anyone else. 
 
How was Victoria’s exploration coming along? Was it much more easier than her stalking Gi Su’s household? 
 
Shaking her head unable to bear staring at the street anymore Seohyun stepped outside. She was feeling a little hungry from waiting after all, maybe it wouldn’t hurt to grab a meal outside. 
 
The damp blue sky greeted her warmly without much of a sun when she started down the road. Before she realized it, she was standing in front of the convenience store she was just at last night. The sudden kiss she’d gifted Siwon burned in her memory and she felt shy all of a sudden. Seohyun had even foolishly glanced around before heading in to buy the ice cream bar she’d handed him last night. 
 
Forgetting about her sudden hunger she walked back to the apartment and this time she saw something that made her hesitate to walk forward. The thoughts of how she should act, if he were there to reprimand her, or if he was going to confront her, made her blood rush in nervousness. 
 
Pressing her lips together and gulping she walked toward him. Well she wasn’t such a coward anyway. There was no real reason to be hiding.  
 
“Hey,” she greeted. 
 
Siwon turned to her surprised. Seohyun moved her head to glance at his black car and wondered why he was parked in front of the apartment building. Was he there to see her? She felt her face flush. 
 
“Hey,” he smiled back. 
 
He was so handsome Seohyun almost choked on the piece of ice cream in . 
 
“What are you doing here?” she wondered. 
 
“Oh…well…” 
 
Was he nervous as well? Seohyun felt her heart race a thousand leaps ahead if that was even possible. 
 
“Do you…want to…come in?” she asked bravely. 
 
He stared at her as if stupefied by her invitation before nodding. 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
Siwon glanced at the old interior walls dating back to the late 1970’s wondering to himself why they hadn’t been remodeled yet. The smell of old wood perfumed the air so strongly Siwon wasn’t sure he could stand it if he were a tenant there. 
 
“Does the smell bother you?” Seohyun asked from beside him. 
 
Had the expression shown on his face? He hoped he hadn’t looked too awful or obvious in case Seohyun might feel a little dejected. 
 
“No, I’m fine,” Siwon lied. 
 
She laughed at little at him, “The smell gets to you the first time, but after a while you’ll get used to it. I didn’t like it the first time we moved here either.” 
 
“Then it does bother me too,” Siwon admitted embarrassed. 
 
Seohyun smiled at him. There was something calm and soothing about her smile that just made her all the more beautiful. Siwon turned away hoping that his thoughts weren’t writing themselves on his face. 
 
After a short climb Seohyun stopped in front of a door and unlocked it. 
 
“It’s a really small place, it doesn’t bother you does it?” asked Seohyun slightly turning to look at him. 
 
Siwon met with her gaze shyly before shaking his head. Closing the door after him he glanced into the first room which was occupied with an old couch and a branded backpack. He turned to see Seohyun walking on ahead slowly and followed her into the kitchen. It was small but evenly spaced. A small white table with two chairs, the paint peeling, tucked in at each side. On his left was a gas stove clean and shiny for its next use. A short counter extended from his left beside the fridge and all that was left to see were cupboards all over. 
 
“It’s a really simple place, right?” Seohyun asked. 
 
Siwon nodded accordingly, “But it’s nice.”
 
“Do you want anything to drink?” 
 
“I’m fine,” Siwon rejected the offer kindly. 
 
“Did you eat yet? I was a bit hungry before I went out,” Seohyun explained throwing away the ice cream wrapper into the garbage beneath the sink. 
 
“No -” Siwon refused before his stomach lightly growled. 
 
He found Seohyun eyeing him and all he could do then was let out an awkward smile. 
 
“I guess I am somewhat hungry.” 
 
“Is some soup fine?” Seohyun asked. “We haven’t really stocked up on grocery yet.” 
 
“I love soup,” he commented. 
 
Seohyun smiled opening the cupboard above and grabbed a random can. 
 
“You must be really busy then,” Siwon said. 
 
“Huh?” Seohyun turned to look at him with raised brows before opening the can of soup. “Oh yea, we’re often busy. We always tend to put work as a first priority.” 
 
“Working too much is also a hazard to your health,” he informed. 
 
Seohyun to look at him with another of her dashing smiles, “Our lives are often filled with work anyway. There hasn’t been a day where we really have any time off. It’s become a norm after a while.” 
 
Siwon stared at her small back wondering what kind of job a reporter would have that kept her busy all day, every day. 
 
“Is a reporter really that busy?” 
 
Seohyun kind of became stiff as if realizing she’d said something off hand before setting the bowl onto the gas stove to heat up. 
 
“Well, according to what Victoria and I are working on, it occupies our time almost 24/7,” she said. “Are you sure you don’t want anything to drink?” 
 
She looked at him as if tempting him to change his earlier answer. In the end he gave in and Seohyun gave him a glass of cool water. It was honestly more refreshing than he thought it’d be. 
 
While he watched her stir the soup he found himself thinking about easy it was to talk to Seohyun. She could lead a conversation and not make him feel awkward. There was also something about her that seemed really courageous but he couldn’t pinpoint it out. Seohyun was very much unlike Victoria who hesitated. Not that he disliked it, it was just Seohyun seemed much more comfortable by approaching first without hesitation rather than wait to decide before approaching. 
 
Siwon didn’t know which one he liked better. 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
“‘Golden Mary’?” Sook Chin repeated as if he’d never heard it before. 
 
Luhan stared at him stupefied. 
 
“Yes,” he said, “the ‘Golden Mary’. It was stolen from the government at the banquet, someone has it, I know it. Uncle, you really don’t know?” 
 
“Is that why everyone’s been so secretive nowadays?” Sook Chin wondered aloud. “Is that why there’s been so much tension in the companies lately?” 
 
Luhan stared at him before going on, “If the ‘Golden Mary’ lands in the hands of someone dangerous, all the companies will be wiped out. They’ll be able to monopolize all companies.”
 
The blood in Lee Sook Chin’s face seemed to have gone down the drain. 
 
“I think…my father’s after it too,” Luhan quietly said. “That’s why I need to find An Kor. I know he’s out to get it for my father. And perhaps that’s why there’s been several break ins lately. You heard about what happened at Gi Su’s. I’m pretty sure he’s been suspecting of possessing it.” 
 
“What do you mean?” his uncle’s frown deepened. “Someone else is out to get it?” 
 
“That’s what I’m thinking,” Luhan concluded, “there’s someone else other than the businessmen who want it.” 
 
“I really don’t know…” his uncle shook his head. 
 
Luhan stared at him before getting up, “If you find out where An Kor is, please let me know. I have to find it before anybody else does.”
 
“Luhan,” his uncle called, “this is dangerous. What are you going to do after you obtain the ‘Golden Mary’? If that item’s wanted so desperately, everybody’s going to be all out after it. People could be assassinated, killed!”
 
Silence overwhelmed the capacity of the dining room, the tea on the long table having gone cold after sitting there untouched. 
 
“I’m going to destroy it.” 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
“How much longer are you going to be staying in Seoul?” Donghae wondered beside Victoria whose mind seemed to have wavered off. 
 
“However much longer it takes us to gather everything,” Victoria replied, hands in the pocket of her shirt. 
 
“How long is that? Is it a really important research?” 
 
“You could say that,” Victoria nodded leaning her head to one side, “we’re trying to finish things as fast as we can.”
 
“Would you…ever come back to Seoul?” 
 
Victoria glanced at him before shrugging. 
 
“Who knows…” 
 
They paused in front of the familiar old building Victoria saw and lived in every day. They had been walking so much all day that Victoria was starting to feel a little drained. She could only wonder that as energetic as Donghae was, if he was feeling tired at all. 
 
“Do you want to come inside?” she asked. 
 
Sending him off right away would be a bit rude when she’d called him out and taken his whole day. He had to be tired. 
 
“Can I?” he returned the question. 
 
“I don’t mind, I’ve taken up your whole day. I at least owe you a glass of water,” she smiled a little at him before leading him up the stairs. 
 
With the climb up the stairs all had suddenly gone quiet. Donghae had surprisingly stopped talking and Victoria wondered if the old smell of the building was getting to him. When she opened the door she heard voices coming from the kitchen. She’d be quite surprised to see Luhan and Seohyun happily talking to each other when they’d only been bickering so far. 
 
Once they walked further into the apartment Victoria’s smile wiped itself off her face when she saw Siwon sitting across from Seohyun, smiles plastered on their faces. They turned to look at them surprised. 
 
“You’re back?” Seohyun greeted. “Are you hungry? I can make some more soup.”
 
Victoria shook her head quickly climbing back to reality, “We already ate.” 
 
Seohyun nodded toward Donghae in greeting before asking, “Do you want to sit?” 
 
“Ah…no…I’m fine.” Donghae refused, his eyes on Siwon’s. 
 
Victoria felt strangely confused and all she could do was look away busying herself with a cup of water. 
 
“Here you go,” Victoria handed the cup of water to Donghae. 
 
Had Siwon been with Seohyun all day? She couldn’t help but wonder. The thought of it made her feel a little uncomfortable and sad. Maybe she felt even a little jealous and worried. Had she let her feelings get the best of her? 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
Siwon didn’t know whether he could eat the soup Seohyun had cooked up for him now. He wondered if it was just him that was feeling awkward. He took a quick look at Seohyun to see her eating not bothered by Victoria’s sudden presence nor Donghae’s.
 
“Thanks,” he heard Donghae say before sitting the cup into the sink. 
 
“You can leave it, I’ll wash it later,” Victoria said. “Thanks for today.” 
 
Through the corner of his eye he saw Donghae flash Victoria a smile in return. Boy, did he look happy. The flare in his eyes were definitely one of a happy person’s. Had they been together the whole day? Doing what? 
 
He glanced at Seohyun suddenly feeling a little relieved that she hadn’t been with anyone all day either. Siwon quickly felt like knocking himself on the head. Where were all these thoughts coming from? 
 
“I should be going now, thanks for inviting me in,” Donghae told, “I had a lot of fun today.”
 
“Me too.” Victoria replied with a small smile. 
 
“You wouldn’t mind if we do it again next time, would you?” Donghae wondered. 
 
Siwon felt his head turn a little to look at them. Why wasn’t Seohyun saying anything? He watched her continue to eat her bowl of soup calmly. 
 
“Sure,” Victoria answered. 
 
Another one of those gleeful smiles appeared across Donghae’s face. Siwon felt something stir within him, but he couldn’t say anything. Anyhow, through the silence Siwon somehow finished all of his soup.
 
“Why don’t I give you a ride back?” Siwon suddenly asked. 
 
Donghae turned to look at him a little surprised. 
 
“I don’t mind, I was about to leave too,” Siwon told. 
 
“You must have a lot to do,” Seohyun said getting up. 
 
“It’s ok,” Siwon said, “you can finish the rest of your meal. Thanks for inviting me over.”
 
“Oh…yea…” Seohyun nodded a little. 
 
Siwon turned to Victoria, “It was nice seeing you.”
 
Victoria nodded and walked them to the door. Without a word she closed the door behind them, her face turned away. Siwon stared at the closed door unsure about the mixed feelings flooding through him. The sound of footsteps descending the stairs caught his attention and he turned around to see Donghae heading down without him. Feeling as if he had no choice, Siwon followed Donghae down.
 
When Siwon had made it out the front door Donghae was already making his way down the walk. Siwon turned to look at his black car still parked on the street before glancing at Donghae’s back. He followed after Donghae with a small job. 
 
“Are you heading home? I can give you a ride,” Siwon offered. 
 
Donghae continued walking without turning to look at him, “It’s fine.”
 
“Don’t you live very far from here?” Siwon asked. 
 
“I’ll grab a cab when I tire of walking,” Donghae didn’t really seem to care. 
 
It was as if he was trying to push him away. Siwon stared at Donghae from beside him still persisting. 
 
“I can just give you a ride and circle back around. I don’t mind,” he tried again. 
 
“I said it’s fine,” Donghae repeated himself a little monotonously. 
 
Siwon glanced at the ground before questioning, “Were you together the whole day?” 
 
That made Donghae stop before turning to look at him. There was a kind of curious yet innocent look in his eyes as if asking why he wanted to know. 
 
“Why?” 
 
“Ah…well…” Siwon couldn’t find the reason why he really wanted to know. 
 
“Yea, we were.” he started walking again. 
 
Siwon made sure to keep at his pace. 
 
“Oh, really?” 
 
Donghae didn’t say anything for a minute. 
 
“I like her.” 
 
“Huh?” Siwon turned to look at him unable to realize by now how far he’d walked away from his car. 
 
“Victoria, I like her.” 
 
Siwon found himself staring at Donghae like he was shocked with his words. Donghae didn’t seem to notice anything though. He just kept on walking as if that was all he was going to do. 
 
Finally, Siwon stopped and watched Donghae walk farther away from him. For some reason he felt like Donghae had just cussed him out. When Siwon turned around he stared down the long walk and glanced toward the apartment building. Was he too worried about things he shouldn’t care about?