Chapter 39

'Golden Mary'

\ \ \ \ \

“The ‘Golden Mary’, you say?” Siwon repeated.

Seohyun placed a plate of breakfast in front of him with a nod of her head.

“Someone has it, I’m sure of it,” Seohyun said.

After a painful ordeal of sitting through silence Siwon had finally managed to recollect his thoughts.

“I can’t say for sure until I straighten things out with everyone,” Seohyun explained. “I need to meet with Victoria and we’ll have to find Luhan afterward. I found out some disturbing things related to him. I’ll share the information with you after I sort things out.”

Siwon reluctantly nodded. “Aren’t you going to eat too?”

“I’m not hungry yet.”

“You shouldn’t skip breakfast.”

“I’ll eat after you leave, don’t worry.” Seohyun smiled.

Giving in Siwon finished his plate after a few minutes.

“Could you…do me a favor?” Seohyun asked walking him to the door.

Siwon nodded. 

“I know you aren’t supposed to use headquarter data for anything, but if possible, could you check to see if Noh Ki Young has purchased any land in Jeju?”

“Noh Ki Young?” Siwon repeated.

“Yes, the president of Samsung Group,” Seohyun nodded. “I’d appreciate it if you could get the information to me as soon as possible.”

He smiled at her. “No matter what, I do believe in you, Seohyun. After this, lets talk about us.”

Siwon leaned to the side and gave her a peck on the cheek before leaving.

First thing came first, before he could turn in for work with an excuse for disappearing on the group last night he needed to see Donghae.

After parking outside and making his way in he found himself standing in front of Donghae’s apartment. The feelings of nervousness and uncertainty forced him to hesitate before ringing the bell. After a tiring night of obtaining information he’d never thought possible and discovering Donghae and Victoria in Yun Man’s manor made his mind swirl right that moment. How was he going to face Donghae, who he knew nothing about? Seeing him would be quite different in comparison to Seohyun because his relationships with either of them were on different levels.

It hurt somewhat to realize the fact that he didn’t really know anyone at all. Even Seohyun’s rank in the bureau was higher than his. There was so much about her he didn’t understand. Would it be the same with Donghae?

A heavy sigh of worry dropped from his lips after he rang the bell. Donghae answered the door bravely a second later as if he’d been expecting a visit from the cops. Perhaps he thought Siwon had come from the police station.

Their eyes met without question. Donghae’s eyes were of confidence, Siwon’s worry. He was let in and the door quickly shut behind him before Donghae came to stand in front of him. 

“I believe that you must be confused,” Donghae said with a brave face. “I’m not going to defend myself. Lets clear one thing out first. Victoria has nothing to do with this. Where she found me was just pure coincidence last night. It was I who broke into Yun Man’s.”

Siwon swore he was getting a migraine from all of this nonsense. He didn’t know what to say anymore.

“I’m not a cop,” Donghae admitted, “the man in the sketch; the sketch that you carry around, the thief you’re looking so hard for is none other than me.”

His breathing set itself on pause and his eyes inched wider. Why was he getting knocked off his feet so many times?

“W…what?” Siwon asked dumbfounded.

“I’m a petty thief who stole thousands and sold them for millions.” Donghae said again before holding his hands out, wrists together. “I quit.”

Siwon’s heart thumped, lunged into his ribs as he ran his eyes over Donghae who was ready for arrest. Why was his partner who he considered a friend acting like this? Why was it like this?  

There were no words to choke out. Siwon was injured. He realized he had been naïve. A small smile crossed his lips pitifully when he tilted his head toward the ground slightly. Siwon reached into his pocket, police uniform still on, and pulled his many keys hanging off a keychain out. His eyes worked their way identifying what each key was for before working it out of the chain. 

Was he sure? Yes, he was totally sure. Was he afraid? No he wasn’t. Siwon was totally prepared for whatever would happen next.

Taking a step forward he released his hands from around the single key and glanced at it for the last time. The silvery key shone in his hand before he reached out for Donghae’s. Gripping the key into the palm of his hand he settled it into Donghae’s palm before looking into his eyes.

“As a friend, I really like you. Even if you don’t see me as one of yours, know that you’re my friend.” Siwon said. “Once they find out who you are, this place will be their next stop. This is the key for a hideout from the world. It’s near a campsite down the highway from here, you’re near it.” Siwon paused and told before leaving, “Save yourself.”

\ \ \ \ \

They stopped by a public bath after breakfast. The emptiness wavering in Victoria’s solid body was intense and she couldn’t understand the emotions causing rifts in her soul. Even when she scrubbed her skin so hard that it turned red she couldn’t release the emotions suffocating her.

Just like a drenched towel could no longer carry any more water, Victoria was beginning to feel her limits. Her stubbornness was squeezing up all her desires and she couldn’t bear any more of that stubbornness. If she rid herself of the denial the answer was there, fact and clear. However, before she reached that fact her stubbornness clogged up and she stood from where she sat. 

Luhan was outside waiting for her patiently by a light post. He looked like a young student curious about the works of electricity. A young student…Victoria would certainly love it if she returned being a young student.

As if sensing her stare he turned her way and smiled charmingly.

“Feel better?” he asked. “Then…where should we go next?”

“I don’t know. What do young people do these days?” Victoria turned to look at him.

“The cliché would be movies, dinner, and maybe a walk.” Luhan replied. “But it’s only 12 in the afternoon.”

Victoria turned away from him and glanced down the walk. It was sunny, alright, but she wasn’t feeling a bit of the weather at all.

“Then should we have lunch, go for a walk, and maybe a drink later?” she said.

Luhan glanced at her, lips pursed, before he nodded.

After lunch they walked around a park, sat down in silence, and remained that way for hours on end. Even though neither spoke to the other, Victoria was glad to have his company in her presence. It was nice to know that she wasn’t alone. 

Tilting her eyes to glance up at the sun shyly hiding behind a thick cloud she suddenly wondered what Donghae was doing and if the cops had come for him yet. If that happened, what would she do? Her heart lurched at the possible thought of it happening. Honestly, she didn’t know. Perhaps, she wouldn’t be able to do anything at all.

Why was she worried? There was no reason to feel the way she was. She already saved him last night…but…she did something she shouldn’t have. It was too late now to make any amends. There wasn’t a chance in the world that she would be able to erase its existence from the world. It happened and she’d chosen it on an act of impulse. Maybe that was the explanation for the cold emptiness residing inside her. She didn’t know whether there had been feelings attached, she couldn’t tell. Victoria had just wanted some warmth last night.

“So, why were you kicked out?” Victoria questioned while pouring herself another shot of liquor.

Evening had arrived but the sun hadn’t set yet. The sky’s light was losing out, however. Luhan snacked away on some chips from the seat opposite her quietly while she tried to drug her mind of all else that had no relation with the ‘Golden Mary’.

“I think Seohyun found out some things about me,” Luhan answered. “I’m certain she knows what we’ve been doing behind her back.”

“I did tell you to prepare yourself for her wrath,” Victoria mumbled swirling the liquor around in the cup. “It’s ok.”

“But…that’s not all.” Luhan said, his eyes landed on her in complete honesty. Even if Seohyun was angry with him, he didn’t want Victoria to start feeling the same way, believing that he’d lied.

“I mean it. We’ll figure things out, I kept you here and I’ll be responsible for having made that decision.” Victoria explained.

She tilted her head back and let her body sink in the rest of the alcohol before getting up. Seohyun was waiting to confront them back at the apartment and she’d waited all day. Victoria could only imagine how impatient she was becoming with them. A sarcastic smile curved the end of her lips up before she stepped outside.

Underneath the shadow of the bar post with the name of the bar printed on it Victoria paused. It was hitting her. Her emotions had been overwhelming all along and she’d been so afraid of it. The liquor sank to the pit of her stomach and made her mind swirl before she leaned her shoulder against the dirty brick wall smudged with oil, spider webs, and dead flies.

Luhan who was already making his way ahead of her stopped and turned around when he realized she wasn’t with him. Once he spun around Victoria covered her face with her hand ashamed of the tears trickling down like the rain. She knew it. She’d been so scared all along. Victoria was a coward. She’d been afraid of loving Donghae and losing him, like she’d loved her father and lost him.

Slowly, very slowly Luhan stepped toward her and stopped in front of her. Victoria threw a smile onto her face embarrassed and tried to laugh a little.

“I just…” the sobs began to slowly choke her. “…a moment by myself…”

He smiled at her compassionately before resting his hand on her head and gently hugged her patting her on the back with his free hand. Victoria took advantage of the moment to pour out the stubbornness squeezing her dead.

\ \ \ \ \

Seohyun was anxiously chewing on her forefinger while staring out into the streets. For the first time she’d pulled the curtains aside in case she should be on the lookout for Victoria and any danger lurking nearby. If anyone tried to hurt Victoria Seohyun would be ready to attack as well. But where was Victoria and why wasn’t she back? If Siwon had made his way to the apartment in the dead of the night to ask about Victoria that must mean she must have escaped from Yun Man’s, right? Seohyun was confident about that fact, but where would Victoria hideout for so long that she wasn’t coming back?

Now that the cops knew her face as a burglar, they were more than screwed.

Seohyun immediately whipped around when the door opened and closed. Closing the curtain she walked down the hall to find Luhan and Victoria coming in together. She felt a flaming jealousy and anger heat up inside. Why had they come back together? Where had they met up without her knowing anything? Why…did it seem as if they were on better terms than she with either of them? Seohyun felt childish but she couldn’t restrain herself.

Who…who should she target first? Who should she interrogate first?

She gritted her teeth before saying, “Where were you!? Do you know how worried I was!? Why the hell were you at Yun Man’s!? And you broke in!?”

The way Victoria stared at her so coolly and confidently made her blood boil. Luhan looked a little frightened beside Victoria but kept his posture real well. Victoria grabbed his arm and led her past Seohyun and into the kitchen where the interrogations always took place. Once they were in she let go of him and leaned against the table by the wall where they always ate. 

“Yes, why?” Victoria asked tilting her head to the side. “Has finding out my personal business become more of your determination to finding the ‘Golden Mary’?”

Seohyun’s face contorted with frustration. She watched Victoria cross her arms and slightly glance at Luhan.

“I heard you found out. So what else have you found out about Luhan that would have pushed you to kick him out?” Victoria asked with a heavy edge of authority to her voice.

She always remained so strong. Seohyun had to admit she was jealous of that particular characteristic Victoria had, but that had always been what had always made her feel safe. Victoria was able and she was a fine leader Seohyun didn’t mind standing behind.

“I don’t know, where should I start.” Seohyun began. “With why you really came back? Or why you stole the key to Hong Chong Il’s? Should we start from Hong Chong Il’s?”

Luhan averted his eyes when Seohyun turned to stare at him. She wanted to hear his story from his own mouth. She didn’t want to have to hear the truth from some e-mails she read.

“Secretary Hong was friendly and the only one among my father’s employees that I really liked,” Luhan told, “so we kept in touch after I was sent abroad. He was the one who told me my father sent my mother away. Maybe I was immature, but I never liked how he treated her. I never liked him. So why do I want a foolish revenge? It’s simple; he hurt the people close to me. He injured their pride, toyed with them emotionally, and tossed them aside since all he believes in is money. 

“Secretary Hong was fired unfairly, his children and his wives lives would be in jeopardy if he didn’t cooperate with my father, if he didn’t give in.”

“Explain in detail, Luhan.” Victoria urged from the side.

Luhan gave her a quick glance before going on, “My father threatened to send them away as slaves. Secretary Hong’s wife would become someone else’s e so as would his daughters. His son would become little toy soldiers. You have to know that people with money can get into the black market easily. So that was the threat given, and Secretary Hong had no choice but to comply.

“I’m sure you know of that business powerhouse banquet at the government hall a few months back. Secretary Hong attended with my father and along with them he was carrying a black mini briefcase with important papers, but on the way back he discovered something else. The ‘Golden Mary’ was in that mini briefcase. Secretary Hong wanted to return the key but when my father found out, he wanted it. Secretary Hong wouldn’t hand it over and so my father switched to the threat. Ever since Secretary Hong gave away the key he’s been under close watch by the men my father has hired to do his dirty jobs in case he tries to sell my father out. I’ve, too, been watched just like him once I arrived in Korea.”

Luhan glanced over at Seohyun who flinched a little.

“I have a guarantee that no one will hurt me unless I run into my father who looks at me like a dirty rat who has eavesdropped on all his plans. Everybody knows that I’m his son and if my corpse is found somewhere there will be questions, so he’s playing it safe.”

“What were you doing at his house?” Seohyun asked. 

“We were supposed to meet there upon my arrival,” Luhan explained, “but I didn’t have the key to get into his place quietly. If someone saw Secretary Hong letting me in there’d be problems, so I went back home first where Butler Kim saw me taking the key. That was when he warned me about my father and his men. When I got to Secretary Hong’s place, strangely no one was in. I thought Secretary Hong and his family were out so I went into his office and read over some of his private e-mails about the ‘Golden Mary’. It seems he had contacted someone in the government about the key. All I understood was that he was talking with a very private official and when I was about to leave I ran into you two. The men that stole their way in were most likely my father’s men who saw me enter the home.”

“I thought you said you had a guarantee you wouldn’t be killed until you met your father.” Seohyun stated.

“I was having a rendezvous with Secretary Hong who would have told me anything. They would have killed me if I knew anything more than just about my mother and Secretary Hong’s dismissal.”

“So they knew nothing about your knowledge of the ‘Golden Mary’?” Victoria asked.

“Not until recently.” Luhan said. “After I started staying here they’d have a harder time prying into my life. This is an apartment complex and if the neighbors saw any strange men around there would be problems, but I’m sure they know I’ve been trying to find out more. They’ve probably been watching me talk to Gi Su, Uncle Sook Chin, and the others. Plus, I’ve had you two.”

They were quiet.

“What about that presentation near the harbor?” Victoria wondered.

“It was a legit presentation,” Luhan answered, “I just think the event collided with An Kor’s plan to take a boat when he needed to go to Jeju. I just went in hopes I’d see someone I knew there. So in the case that we all could’ve been killed was possible. I guess I’m just lucky you two had skills I never expected.”

“So Jeju is your last resort.” Seohyun finished.

Luhan nodded, “I’m sure that’s where he is. We just need to find out where he’s staying.”

Seohyun glanced over at Victoria a little worried on her part. She’d given their identities away to Siwon and she was definite that Victoria was against her doing so. In the end, Seohyun had messed up again. She had overreacted with Luhan’s story and she had failed to keep their identities hidden.

“Victoria,” Seohyun began, “why did you choose to do everything in secret and not ask the police for help?”

Victoria glanced at her with those cool eyes of hers, “Don’t you think the government would have taken the chance to ask the police to handle it instead of wasting money on two highly trained agents? The police would have rounded up every businessman and interrogated them, but what would they have concluded from just questioning? They’re weak, corrupted, and abuse their power. Maybe I was naïve to choose the plan of breaking into homes like a burglar, but what choice were we given when told that this was top secret?”

Seohyun pressed her lips together. “I’m sorry.”

Victoria’s eyebrows slightly pushed themselves downward confused with her apology that came out of nowhere. Luhan also stared blankly.

“Siwon knows…” Seohyun admitted. “I told him when he came here last night.” 

Victoria’s jaw dropped.

“It happened out of the blue, I had no choice.”

“No choice?” Victoria repeated a little angry.

“Then what were you doing at Yun Man’s with Donghae!? Why did the cops find you there!? Where were you all night!?” Seohyun raised her voice in defense once more feeling frustrated before she quieted herself. “Why…why did you two come back together?”

Victoria’s eyelids fluttered quickly as if she were hiding something and looked even pitiful herself. Seohyun felt apologetic for having let loose.

“I need some air.” Was all Victoria said before walking out.

Once the door closed Luhan turned to Seohyun.

“Victoria looks like a hard shell, doesn’t she?” Luhan’s voice was warm and coaxing. “We met outside this morning, she hasn’t been looking well these few days, and she looked the worst today. Victoria needs to burst but she doesn’t have the confidence to. You and me, we worry her. She told me she’ll protect us until all this is over. I think you’re the one person who can talk to her. Tell her it’s fine and she should do exactly what her heart wants.”

Seohyun retreated her gaze to the ground while his words sunk in and when he finished she said with a sad smile, “Why do you two know each other so well? Shouldn’t you be telling her this?”

“I am the comfort for her when she needs to cross the bridge,” Luhan said metaphorically, “but she also needs to hear the words from her partner.”

“You’ve become good friends.”

“We are too.”

“I know nothing about you.” 

“Friends…don’t need to know everything about each other to be considered friends. Having you there to help and protect me is a friend enough.” Luhan smiled.

Seohyun smiled in reply. “You still think Victoria’s hot?”

“More so than you.”

They lost themselves into happy laughter. 


***Alright! So, Victoria finally belts out a little here, like finally. And Luhan explains his side of the story. We're getting near the end. 

***Oh yea, and guys, I've already completed the story on Word ^^