Chapter 37

'Golden Mary'

\ \ \ \ \  

Donghae stared out past the luscious green yard with only one concrete path leading the way to Yun Man’s secured home. It was not yet night nor was it the dusk of evening, but he could see it, smell it. The priceless goods, the gold and silver antiques that would yet buy him another large apartment, more useless fortune.   

He’d be back though. By night time.  

When he returned to his apartment he camped out in his living room staring at his phone for hours. The sun reflecting through the window on his right told him daylight was disappearing and that he should ready himself for whatever happened next. This was it. This was really it. Tonight he would make it happen, he would turn things back to the way they were. Victoria wouldn’t have to feel sorry for a loser like him any longer.

Raising his phone up to his ear he listened to the ringing of the phone. He wouldn’t be surprised if Victoria didn’t pick up and he promised himself not to get excited if she did pick up. Donghae really missed her, and that was one truth he couldn’t deny.

Victoria didn’t pick up.

No matter how disappointed he might feel, he knew nothing would exist between them. Even if his love for her extended miles, he didn’t deserve anything. Victoria was too high of a god for him to reach, but he still wanted to let her know. Donghae would fix things. Everything would return to normal and Victoria wouldn’t have to feel that he was a burden to her any longer. 

\ \ \ \ \

Intense anxiety, fury, and rage were all Seohyun could feel fluttering through her. She crumpled up the e-mails she’d printed out on paper in her hands. Where was he? Why wasn’t he return? Did he even understand the heights of danger surrounding them?!

Seohyun’s eyes darted toward the edges of the kitchen and surveyed the window outside before drawing the curtains close. She didn’t want to step out of the apartment before Luhan returned. She couldn’t leave him alone until she heard everything from his own mouth, until she could perfectly understand what exactly was running through his mind. If he had been deceiving them she wouldn’t be afraid of kicking him out. Even if Victoria held her back Seohyun would show no mercy.

They were in danger, immense danger, all of them. The ‘Golden Mary’ surely was no joke any more.

\ \ \ \ \

The sun had dropped, Victoria’s gaze had been sent upward to watching the stars twinkle amongst the black mist. The children that had earlier dominated the park had all gone to their respective homes to their warm families and loving parents. The thought of it left Victoria feeling empty yet she couldn’t feel an ounce of sadness spreading through her. She felt horrible yet she couldn’t feel a damn emotion at all. Victoria had turned into an automotive robot over the past days and she didn’t know how it had happened. The next moment, she remembered, she couldn’t feel anything at all.

When a stick broke nearby she turned her head to see a couple of young teenagers skating through the park and disappearing down the lonely walk behind her. The park had been abandoned. She wasn’t surprised.

Lifting her phone up she glanced at the time. It was almost 11, time for their move. However, before she stood up her phone beeped. A message had come through and Victoria opened it immediately. It was from Donghae. She felt her pulse slow before it began racing.

He was saying goodbye and sorry for being what he had been. The other contents of the sorry message didn’t transmit through to her brain. The only message she understood was that he was going back to what he used to be. When her eyes stopped at the last period of the message she knew where he was headed.

Even when Victoria stood from the bench with the stars twinkling above her she didn’t move. What did she want to do? Who exactly did she really care about? Herself? Siwon? Donghae? 

“I went to see Yun Man and he has a new alarm installed. He’s gotten rid of the bodyguards. Once the back door opens his alarm will tap immediately into the police station’s services to let them know that his home’s been broken into.”

Victoria felt her mind darken before it shut down all other traces of thoughts. She knew what she needed to do.

\ \ \ \ \

Seohyun had just slipped on her thin black sweater and was readying herself for Victoria’s arrival before the phone rang.

“Where are you?” Seohyun immediately interrogated.

Victoria sounded breathless as if she was running and Seohyun sensed that something was up. There was an edge in her heart that knew she was about to receive disappointing news.

“Abort the mission. Abort the mission!”

Seohyun narrowed her eyes very slightly, “What?”

“Do you not understand? I said abort the mission!” Victoria screamed into the mouthpiece before Seohyun heard a car door close. 

That was all she heard before Victoria hung up. That 20 second conversation left her more dumbfounded than ever. Where was Victoria? What exactly was going on? The need to know so much bombarded her from all sides. All of a sudden why were Luhan and Victoria making it so difficult? Just what had they been hiding from her? She felt like screaming, clawing at the air. Seohyun almost took a step forward ready to take her own action but the door opened and closed.

Seohyun walked out into the hallway to see Luhan returning from wherever it was that he’d just come from. The sudden stress zooming through her body made her the ever more furious with him. Luhan turned to look at her a little surprised but innocently before she slapped him across the face. The hit stung not just his tiny cheek but her hand as well. He flung his stupefied expression to look at her alarmed and shocked.

Refusing to say a word Seohyun turned to walk away and stomped back toward him with the crumpled e-mails she’d earlier printed and flung it into his face. Luhan turned his face as if he’d been slapped once more before turning to look at her hurt, but guilty.

Silence rung in between them while Seohyun glared.

“What are you after?” Seohyun grumbled. “Your father? The ‘Golden Mary’? Are you gonna kill us too?”

Luhan lifted his head up to look at her and Seohyun could make out the red mark of her hand on the side of his face.

“I…” he began.

“Get out of here.” She ordered with reluctance to actually hit him again.

He remained still.

“I said get out!” Seohyun screamed.

Luhan apologetic eyes retreated behind his bangs before he turned. Seohyun heaved an angry sigh after the door opened and closed. 

\ \ \ \ \

“Please, can you hurry?” Victoria begged the driver who had, to her luck, turned out to be one of those extra cautious drivers on the road that slowed for every yellow light.

“Calm down, girly. I’m trying to save your life here too.” The middle aged man who smelt of cigarettes replied. “You young’ns take the roads too freely these days that there’s always someone dying at every intersection. And what are you doing going to Park Side this late? It’s on the other friggin side of the city. With all these roads and cars, you know how long it’s going to take? Your momma better know you’re not in bed.”

Victoria wished the man would just shut up before she would actually karate chop him without any pint of pity. She knew, she was aware of the time it might take to get there. All that mattered was she get there before the cops did.

\ \ \ \ \

The office was booming with business that night for some random reason that Siwon didn’t understand. He’d returned for the night shift with a fresh coffee in hand and had just managed to walk through all the noise coming from the left end of the headquarters where two drunk men were going at it. 

Cool white tables with random chairs tucked in from each side passed him by as well as a large metal cabinet still filled with the day’s earlier mails. Siwon walked by a few more cubicles meant for private work before some kind of alarm started echoing in the air. It sounded like the kind of a noise a thin laser beam would make but this one lasted for a while and Siwon found himself looking around confused. The alarm stopped abruptly before the station’s chief, who worked special overnight shifts, ran out from his room with gun in hand. He looked like he was in a hurry too.

“Wh…what’s going on?” Siwon asked as he started past him.

“Get in the car! There’s another break-in!” the chief searched his pocket for his walkie-talkie and began contacting other guards on duty.

Siwon unconsciously set down his fresh coffee regretfully on a table before following him out, his nerves alert.

“Where?”

“Old Yun Man’s.”

\ \ \ \ \

Victoria didn’t spare any change for the middle aged driver as she’d currently gone impatient with listening to his lectures. A knot of anger had also tied itself within her rage when he continued calling her ‘girly’. She swore she hadn’t felt so pissed off in so long.

Anyhow, he dropped her off at the bus stop and Victoria dashed all the way toward the golden sign hanging on the elegant arc which read, Park Side. This time she didn’t care for details of what was around her. It was too dark to see anyway.

Darting toward her left she hopped over the gold gate and up the long path winding her toward Yun Man’s delicious looking home. The guards were gone as Luhan had said and it didn’t seem like anyone was in either. 

“You’ve certainly done a lot of research, Lee Donghae.” She sarcastically remarked underneath her breath before jogging toward the front door.

Carefully reaching a hand out for the doorknob she slightly twisted it to discover it had been untouched. The glow of the moon from above set the mood perfectly. She felt like a cat ready in search of its prey and she’d pounce on it when she found it.

Rounding the house to the same empty backyard she’d once stood in, Victoria readjusted her pose and straightened up when she saw the back door had been left wide open. A surge of anger at how Donghae was being reckless stormed inside her. It was like asking for the cops to kill him when they saw him. For some reason, she was perfectly certain that he had prepared himself for the worst.

Shoving all other thoughts aside she walked around the house with no regards to being careful. Victoria twisted her head from left to right before she settled that the first floor was empty.

“I heard he has a good collection of gold and silver antiques that his father bought with bazillions of money. And they’re of important worth to his family line, which means they pass things down from generation to generation. Interesting, right?” 

Victoria could see that mischievous smirk climb onto his face so perfectly. Yes, Donghae’s blood should be chilling with pounds and pounds of anxiety once he saw all those magnificent pieces in that room. He would be excited and she could just imagine the ecstasy flowing through him when he had them in his own hands. And those gleam in his eyes…

Why was she even bothering to picture him? She shoved the thoughts aside again and climbed up the stairs only to run back down when she heard the police cars outside. Their sirens were blasting as if telling Donghae that they’d come for him. Her heart pounded within her chest. There was no more time.

\ \ \ \ \

Siwon gazed up at the brick home, admiring the rocky exterior. He could imagine the unique of the home and how near perfection it was inside. It’d cost him a fortune if he wanted to purchase one. 

The other car doors slammed behind him. At least three squad cars had arrived on sight with 6 patrol officers, two arriving in each.

“Don’t shoot unless the perpetrator has a gun,” the chief reminded. “We’ll split up. One group will search the yard, one group will remain here,” the chief’s eyes browsed them from person to person before he said, “Choi Siwon, come with me.”

“Yes, sir!” they bellowed in unison before moving out as they’d been taught.

Siwon followed the bold short, stocky man and they quickly headed toward the back. The back door was closed shut. With a hand on his gun ready to pull it out just in case, Siwon turned to look around. The backyard was empty and not a thing was in sight.

“Yun Man’s house carries antiques that are generations old. I still don’t understand why he doesn’t place them in banks. His house would have less break-ins,” the chief muttered before kicking the back door open with ease. “According to news, Yun Man’s alarms will tap the police station’s when the back door opens from outside without a key. A nuisance, I tell you.”

Siwon followed him in. They searched from every room, examining every inch, and every item as if there to admire pieces of arts before they turned toward the stairs. The chief turned back to him and gestured for him to be silent before they moved up.

\ \ \ \ \

Victoria ran down from hall to hall. The stress from the knowledge that the police were just right outside and could be downstairs traveling up the staircase any second fogged her mind of the memory of the house. She couldn’t adjust the structure of the home in her mind and had traveled down the same hall even three times. Victoria was sure she was losing it.

The anxiety building up inside didn’t help. Previous break-ins hadn’t worried her so much but now that she was going up against the police, she could only think of bad news. The government wouldn’t cover for her if she got involved with the cops.

Finally Victoria stopped at the entrance of a familiar hallway and dashed down it. She passed a few doors which had been neatly left shut before swinging a familiar one open. Donghae spun around with a knee currently on the ground and their eyes met. The gold jewelry that had been carefully locked away were in his bag, the other half of its body sprawled out on the ground. This was a real crime scene, the thought popped up in her head, and Donghae had done it more than just several times. However, Victoria ran breathless, warmth swarming over her every organ when her eyes locked on him.

Donghae’s jaw dropped open and Victoria shut the door behind her closed before running forward. Grabbing Donghae’s arm she pulled him up.

“We have to go!” she almost shouted turning back toward the door.

“Wha…why?” he looked confused but more shocked.

Donghae had obviously stopped since she could no longer move forward. She turned back to look at him, “The cops are here!” 

His eyes softened on her before he pulled his arm out from her grasp. “Why did you come?”

She stared at him, confusion now flying through her.

“I knew they’d come.” Donghae’s eyes darted toward the door. “You should go while you can.”

Her heart sunk and Victoria couldn’t grasp a decision of whether she should be pissed off that she’d been shrugged off or if she should be saddened. And as dramatically as what could have happened next the door swung open and someone screamed, “Freeze!”

Victoria swung around, Donghae behind her, and Siwon in front with gun held out. Once more his gun was threatening her. The surprise that lit his eyes when he saw her made her feel sad and shameful. That was before his eyes traveled over to Donghae. Siwon almost lowered his arm and broke his stance. During this moment Victoria took a step forward, kicked his chief in the chest, and snatched his gun while he fell back into Siwon.

“Don’t move,” she carefully stated each word while pointing the gun at them.

She eyed them dangerously pulling on the most scary glare she could summon before grabbing onto Donghae and ran down the hall. While she ran she could only tighten her fingers around the gun to keep herself from shaking.

When they escaped from around the house she could hear Siwon’s chief screaming, “After them!” 

\ \ \ \ \

The encounter with Donghae and Victoria left a disturbing impact on him. He had never imagined he would have to arrest a friend and an acquaintance, much less did he even want to do it.

“Get a move on! What are you spacing out for!?” the chief in command screamed at him.

Tightening his hand around the handle of the gun he ran down the hall. All he could do now was run after them…and what would happen next…

\ \ \ \ \

Victoria’s hair swung back and forth from left to right again and again from in front of him. She looked brave, but just like any other woman he was sure she was afraid. Donghae felt sorry for the fact that she’d come after him. When would he stop burdening her about his feelings? He hadn’t meant for her to come after him, honestly.

“Victoria,” Donghae called out as they passed by the apartments. A few rooms were lit with light but majority of them were pitch black. Like many, the two of them should be asleep in their own respective beds at their own places. Donghae was sure that would be the case if he’d never met her.

They started toward the Park Side entrance but Victoria halted at a confusing stop when she saw bright lights coming her way. Reinforcements were coming in. 

“Victoria,” he called again but Victoria pulled him without a word toward the right and they were running through a bushy green row of trees. “You can go. I’ll be fine here.”

She still didn’t say anything. After a minute more Donghae forcefully tugged his hand out of hers and Victoria almost tripped over her own feet at the speed she was running.

“Aren’t you tired at all!?” Donghae shouted. “I told you to leave!”

He could see her back bounce from each breath she took. Donghae was breathless himself.

“What are you doing? What do you think you’re doing!? You left the damn back door open! It’s as if you’re inviting them to come and take you! What are you? Do you want to spend the rest of your life behind bars!?” Victoria shook her head when she turned to face him.

The anger was apparent in her eyes and he wasn’t a bit surprised. Even as stiff as he wanted to be toward her, his heart softened and melted.

“Why am I…” she spoke in a low mumble. “…what are you!?”

Donghae stared at her speechless by her confusion with herself before he turned around at the pounding footsteps from behind. He flinched back when someone rudely shone a yellow flashlight in his face and waved it over to Victoria who didn’t move an inch.

“Put your hands up!” the chief in command who had been with Siwon earlier walked forward. 


***And again Siwon points his gun at Victoria :/

***This was Donghae's way of returning to his previous life, and Victoria just had to go save him from the cops

***Luhan, on the other hand, is facing his own dilemma. Seohyun has found out why he's come back and more than she should have