Chapter 25

'Golden Mary'

 

\ \ \ \ \
 
An enraged glare lit up Luhan’s eyes at the threat. He couldn’t allow anyone to threaten his mother, especially not when she’s so far away from him. Luhan gulped down his arising temper. One foolish move and he could endanger everyone around him. He had never known it so hard to play smart. 
 
“Even so, do you think my father is not greedy himself?” Luhan testified. “All that money, all that wealth, do you honestly think he’d share it with you without eating you first? Even if all else fails, I’m sure that you won’t be one to rise to power. You’re like a cat after a mouse, but there’s a tiger waiting to pounce on you. I, will be that tiger.” 
 
Luhan was jerked forward when Cha Tae Sung grabbed the collar of his shirt. 
 
With bloodshot eyes, he whispered, “Say anything else and your body will be floating in the Han River. The key is almost in our hands, so don’t even dream of finding it.” 
 
Luhan’s eyebrows fell deep before the door shot open. 
 
Someone Luhan didn’t recognize appear, “Sir! The cops are here!” 
 
“What!?”
 
Cha Tae Sung released Luhan. Swirls of questions blinded Luhan’s senses from anything else before he remembered Victoria. Cha Tae Sung quickly followed his servant out and quickly gathering his senses, Luhan followed. 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
Victoria dashed back into the house, her heart pounding hard and quick inside her chest. Where was Luhan? Where was Luhan!? Suddenly confused about what hallway to take she randomly turned and shot pass a maid carrying a tray of dishes. 
 
“Luhan! Luhan!” Victoria screamed. 
 
There was no time to waste. She didn’t want to deal with the cops, but she couldn’t leave without Luhan either. 
 
“Luhan!” Victoria turned into another hallway. 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
Seohyun glanced at herself in the mirror satisfied with her outfit before she headed down the stairs. Rushing down the block she found the small restaurant where she was to meet Siwon. 
 
“Are you by yourself?” the waiter asked. 
 
“A table for two,” Seohyun smiled broadly.
 
“This way, please.” 
 
Seohyun followed the waiter down a red carpeted aisle before she was seated a circular table fancily dressed in a skirt table. 
 
“Can I get you anything to drink first?” 
 
“Just water.” 
 
“Would you like to order first or do you want to wait?” 
 
“I’ll wait, thank you.” she smiled up at the waiter before he walked away. 
 
Seohyun stared out the window anxious for Siwon’s arrival. She couldn’t wait to see him and talk to him. While she waited she tapped her fingers against the tabletop and browsed the restaurant. She saw a family at a large table dining away at their delicious meals before he eyes landed on an elderly couple. Envy and admiration sparkled in her eyes when she saw them quietly chatting. How she would like it to grow old with someone she loved. And the only person she had in mind was none other than Choi Siwon. 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
Siwon parked his car outside the home before climbing out. A middle aged man and another one in overalls greeted them at the gate. 
 
“She’s inside, hurry!” Jun called. 
 
Siwon started with a run down the path toward the two flight of stairs, Donghae on his tail. The loud footsteps of the two employees followed without delay.
 
When they arrived at an intersection of corridors, Siwon turned to Donghae, “You go that way. I’ll go this way.” 
 
Once Donghae darted off in his own direction, Siwon followed Jun down an empty hallway of paintings. They suddenly passed a maid with a tray and Jun brought Siwon to a stop. 
 
“Maehri, did you see a woman run pass here?” Jun questioned, breathless. 
 
“Oh…yea, someone just came around here. But why the cop…” the maid pointed to Siwon confused. 
 
“Where did she go!?” Jun shouted frantic. 
 
“That way, she went that way!” the maid pointed deeper down the hallway. 
 
Jun sprinted down the hallway at such speed that Siwon was surprised. He had never known for somebody so aged to be so fast. 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
“Luhan!” Victoria opened a random door, glanced inside, and turned around. She opened the next door and shouted his name again. “God geezes, where are you!?” 
 
Unfortunately, Victoria had reached the end of the hallway and there was no choice but to turn around. She needed to be fast and pray that nobody would see her. Pressing her lips together she paused before the end of the hallway where it intersected with another hallway. If she allowed herself to be seen it could be the end of it all.
 
Holding her breath to steady the pattern of her breathing, she leaned against the wall and carefully poked her head out. From beyond the hallway, she didn’t hear a thing. Deciding it was safe, she stepped out just in time to hear footsteps run her way. 
 
“There!” 
 
She recognized Jun, who shot out from another hallway that supposedly intersected with the long hallway where she was apparently standing. Then someone else shot into the picture and Victoria felt her eyes fly wide. 
 
“Freeze!” Siwon chucked out his gun and pointed it at her.
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
Broad day light, in broad daylight…had they been mistaken? How could there be a break-in in broad daylight? And at a large businessman’s home… Donghae’s mind flashed to Victoria, and the night he saw her jump out of Gi Su’s window into the dark yard. It couldn’t be…right? It couldn’t be Victoria. Not in broad daylight. Whatever her job was, she was a night lurker, not a broad daylight prowler. 
 
Donghae pressed his lips together to find that his mouth had gone dry from the worry. Chong Pil, the heavy man, moved swiftly through the hallway as if his weight didn’t burden him at all. Without judging him, Donghae kept up speed. 
 
They dashed around the corner and down another hallway before Donghae saw someone freeze at the end of the long hallway. The nearer they got, the clearer his sight became. Donghae could feel his senses throb with anxiety when he more than recognized the woman standing there, her long ponytail flailing down her back. 
 
Hoping that Siwon had not yet arrived, Donghae rushed forward leaving Chong Pil at his back screaming, “Victoria!” 
 
When he reached her he watched as she turned to look at him, her face frozen with desperation, frustration. Donghae opened his mouth to speak again, but brought himself to a stop when he felt someone staring. Turning, he witnessed Siwon lowering his gun, as much surprise on his face as on Donghae’s own. 
 
Just what was this!? 
 
The thought of Siwon pointing a gun at Victoria chilled Donghae’s blood into hot anger, but reality was that he couldn’t fling a fist at him. Because they were supposedly partners, because Siwon was currently held in a much favorable position in the force than he. 
 
A rough breeze of tension silently brushed pass. 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
“Officer!” Jun shouted. “What are you doing!?”
 
Luhan raced down the hallway after Cha Tae Sung silently praying that all was ok and that the cops hadn’t found Victoria. The nervousness of his heart didn’t help with how calm he should have kept in the situation. When Victoria and the cop came into sight, Luhan felt a pitfall of devastation flurry through him. 
 
Once Victoria came into sight, Luhan wanted to run forward to make sure she was ok, but contained himself. If he did, though, Cha Tae Sung would conclude that he and Victoria were close. That would, most likely, lead to the chance that Victoria would be dragged into danger even if she seemed capable of all else, Luhan still didn’t want to see that happening. 
 
“Sir!” Jun stepped forward bending his head forward to show how loyal he was toward Cha Tae Sung. 
 
“I received a call that there was a break-in,” Siwon, who was trying his best to hold himself in control, explained. “Is everything ok?”
 
Luhan watched as Cha Tae Sung briefly let a laugh exit out of him as if it had all been a joke. 
 
“I’m afraid it’s a misunderstanding,” Cha Tae Sung went on, “they’re my guests. One of my workers probably thought they stole their way in. Often, nowadays, there are a lot of reckless youngsters who like prowling around as if they’re animals of the jungle.” 
 
For some reason, Luhan felt a nerve in him break at the tease. 
 
“Is that so?” Siwon asked relieved. “Then, that’s good to hear. I’m sorry for suddenly coming in.” 
 
“Don’t worry about it,” Cha Tae Sung kindly smiled. “Jun, would you please see them out? I have a meeting so I should be leaving.” 
 
When Cha Tae Sun walked pass, Luhan felt his head turn to watch him go before he heard Jun speak to Siwon. Lightly biting his lower lip he walked forward. 
 
“Are you ok?” he asked Victoria. 
 
Two heads turned to look at him. Victoria turned to nod, Donghae turned to stare.  
 
“Donghae,” Siwon called. 
 
Luhan watched Victoria turn to look at the stronger looking man with a look he’d never seen before in her eyes. It was a soft stare, forlorn, and full of longing. Once the two cops started down the hall Luhan turned back to look at Victoria. 
 
“We should go too.” Luhan suggested. 
 
He watched as Victoria continued staring down the hall as if the two officers were still there before she began walking forward. 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
Seohyun turned to look around the restaurant and back to the watch on her wrist. It had been almost 15 minutes since Siwon had called. Why wasn’t he coming? Grabbing her phone she wondered if something had come up and he’d forgotten about her. Her hand paused midway while reaching for her phone. What if she was bothering him? She didn’t want to be a nuisance to his work. 
 
“I can wait a while more, it’s ok. 10 more minutes,” Seohyun spoke to herself and heaved a quiet sigh. 
 
The waiter from before came back, “Would you like a refill on your water?” 
 
Seohyun nodded and allowed him to take her cup to refill it with more ice cold water. 
 
“Would you still like to wait or do you want to order something?” the waiter questioned setting the cup onto the table. 
 
“I’ll wait,” Seohyun nodded. 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
Once Jun turned to walk away, Siwon walked through the open gates to his police car. Pausing in front of it he turned back to look back. There was no use helping the guilt that had made its way through his system. The flash of raising his gun at Victoria had penetrated him with contradiction. How would he look through her eyes now? Victoria would, perhaps, be disappointed in him. 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
Donghae glanced over at the distant Siwon and the lost, guilty expression on his face. What had he been feeling when he saw Victoria? Did Siwon feel the same way he had? Scared, nervous, anxious? But had it been the same? It had been Siwon who had lifted his gun at her, and Donghae who knew about Victoria and her break-ins. No matter how they both felt there was a big gap between the knowledge they had about her. 
 
Donghae wanted to remind Siwon about his lunch date and had an urge to tell him to go ahead so he could spend some time with Victoria, but was forced to stop when footsteps arrived their way. He turned to stare at Victoria and Luhan once they arrived around the corner. As usual, Victoria’s eyes could only stare at Siwon. Those infatuated eyes full of sparks for Siwon only belonged to him. An ounce of irritation started to climb through Donghae. He could only become more irritated when Siwon walked around to the side of the car and opened the back door. 
 
“Where are you going? I’ll give you a ride,” Siwon said. 
 
He frowned at Siwon before turning to catch Victoria’s reaction. The boy beside Victoria turned to look at her waiting for her to make a decision. Part of Donghae really hoped Victoria would decline Siwon’s offer, but another part of him wanted her to ride in the car with him. At least then, at least Victoria would be with him. 
 
“It’s ok,” Victoria said. 
 
“I’m heading toward your apartment, I’ll drop you off along the way. Come on, Victoria.” Siwon calmly urged. 
 
At that, Donghae sensed a change in Victoria’s facial expression. The lost, torn look in Victoria’s eyes became deliberately still of realization. Then without a word, Victoria walked forward and climbed into the car. Siwon closed the door after them and Donghae also hurried in toward the passenger’s seat. 
 
The drive back was awkwardly filled with stiff tension. No one spoke. There wasn’t even a sound made. Donghae peered at Siwon through his eyes to see that Siwon had his full focus on the road. Donghae glanced into the side mirror only to get a glimpse of the boy with Victoria before he slightly turned his head the other way. Through the corner of his eye, he saw Victoria staring out the window. What was running through her mind? 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
Questions, Siwon wanted to ask questions. What was she doing inside such a large businessman’s home? Was it just a simple misunderstanding that she had broken in? Or was there another side to the story he didn’t know about? 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
After what seemed like a long drive, Luhan finally stepped out of the police car after Victoria. Even though they were in front of the apartment building, Victoria showed no motive to start inside yet so Luhan decided to stay outside with her. He turned when another door shut and found Donghae walking toward them. 
 
“Thanks,” Victoria brought a kind smile to her face. 
 
Luhan wondered then if it was hard for her to summon up such a smile. The forlorn sparkle in Victoria’s eyes seemed obvious to Luhan but he wasn’t sure that the man before Victoria saw it the same way. Had they something going on, this man that Seohyun liked? 
 
“I was going to have lunch,” Siwon began, “with Seohyun. Do you want to join us? Your friend can come along too.”
 
Luhan witnessed Victoria’s expression become desolate with despair and turned away realizing a conflict to occur.  
 
“No, you go ahead and enjoy yourselves,” Victoria said. 
 
Siwon remained in place for a few seconds before saying as if he had given up, “Then, I hope you have a good day.” 
 
Victoria didn’t reply but watched Siwon head back into the car. Luhan turned when he saw the other officer staring at him.
 
When Victoria started toward the apartment building, Donghae called, “Victoria!” 
 
Luhan watched Donghae walk over to Victoria who didn’t look like she wanted to talk. Whoever he was, Luhan had only recalled seeing him once. Stepping in to block his way, Luhan slightly pivoted to see Victoria turn away and walk into the apartment building. 
 
“Yah! What do you think you’re doing?” Donghae questioned exasperated. 
 
“Your partner’s leaving,” was all Luhan told before turning to follow Victoria.
 
Inside the apartment building Luhan found Victoria staring out the kitchen window. The strange intensity from before cautioned him to be careful about what he needed to say. Peeking from behind her he saw that the police car was no longer there as well as the two police officers. A struck of empathic sympathy struck him. Luhan didn’t find himself in a favorable position to be saying anything to her and he knew that he couldn’t console her. 
 
So like any other question possible to ask, he only asked, “Are you ok?” 
 
He watched Victoria shift her head down before raising it back up, “Why’d he let us go so easily?” 
 
“He wouldn’t be in a favorable position with the police if we were to have said something,” Luhan explained. “Because of his brusque personality, he doesn’t have good of connections. We left so abruptly, what if someone followed us?” 
 
“We left in a police car,” Victoria reminded before turning to walk away, “I’m tired. Lets talk about everything else later. I want to be alone.”
 
Luhan watched Victoria walk away desolately. He wondered if Seohyun was aware of Victoria’s feelings. 

***Woohoo! So much happened! Siwon raised a gun to Victoria's head! :0

***Luhan now notices Victoria's feelings, uh-oh! 

***I have much HaeToria waiting for you next chapter ^^ And finally, Seohyun will get some of her own action ^^