Chapter 1

'Golden Mary'

Bubbles rose to the surface of the dark waters and the splashing of water resounded brilliantly in the empty night air. Lonely crickets called out to each other and birds of the night hastily escaped into the sky when a hand plunged out of the water. It reached around for a sturdy piece of land before hoisting up its torso. 

The full moon’s reflection broke when she pulled herself out of the water gasping for air while crawling onto the land. The gentleness of the healthy green grass brushed against her diving outfit, her loose hair now trailing over shoulders sloppily. A cold chill swept past her before something else jumped out of the water, coughing. 
 
“Damn you!” the gentle faced woman swore at her accomplice. “This is why I said we could’ve just walked around the woods where the path meets with the house!” 
 
Seohyun exhaustedly pulled herself up onto land but lay her upper torso against the grass. 
 
“I hate swimming. I hate the water.” she complained breathlessly. “Help me up.” 
 
“You’re always making us lag,” Victoria complained standing up. 
 
Heaving a sigh she trudged back toward Seohyun, grabbed her arm, and pulled her onto land with a loud heave. 
 
“Goddamn it! How much have you been eating?” Victoria muttered. 
 
Seohyun murmured something she couldn’t catch and Victoria looked on as she lay there completely energy-less. She turned away and took in her surroundings. They were now standing and lying on a strip of land. A magnificent piece of land owned by the mayor. 
 
“Damn…” Victoria commented astounded. “This guy’s raking in some real good .” 
 
A few golden lights from street lamps shone in several areas. It helped Victoria make out the thin woods at the back where Seohyun had suggested breaking in through. The dark leaves waved back and forth underneath the bright moonlight. Victoria recalled a memory of someone telling her a story about farewells and became confused with the thought. It had nothing to do with the leaves on the branches. She shrugged. Perhaps it just made her feel somewhat lonely. 
 
An area of grassland span across the whole land before Victoria. It was a perfect replica of an island. Yellow lights lit up the 2 story mansion to her far left. She could see nothing else but the large grassland surrounding the home and the river that flowed between the island-wannabe and the other side that led to the streets.  
 
While her eyes landed on the pretty bridge made of bricks something loud sounded beside her and Victoria turned alarmed. Seohyun was currently ping her diving suit. Victoria decided to copy her gesture and started to her diving suit as well, but quickly pulled Seohyun down when she heard a car roaring in the distance. Seohyun fell onto her knees and clumsily tumbled forward face first into the grass. 
 
“Unnie!” she screamed her voice smothered by the ground. 
 
Victoria pressed her shoulder down and eyed the bridge. She was thankful for the sudden darkness behind them and felt her heart beat faster when she realized it was a police car driving by. 
 
“What the heck are they doing here?” whispered Victoria. 
 
“Cops?” Seohyun lifted her head up to see. “But our mission’s top secret.”
 
“Exactly,” Victoria agreed. 
 
A week ago Victoria and Seohyun were called in by the government to receive news that the golden key, the ‘Golden Mary’, had been stolen. The ‘Golden Mary’ was the only copy to the Secret Chambers where all information pertaining to the whole of South Korea was maintained. If opened, anything could be stolen and in no matter of time anybody could sabotage the government. 
 
Under secret orders Victoria and Seohyun were required to move around big powerhouses in South Korea in search of the key. Only powerful business tyrants would be able to get their hands on it since it had gone missing during a large business banquet. Fake Ids of being news reporters had even been distributed to the both of them to be used when required.  
 
“, we should go back. There are more cars coming.” Victoria slowly slid back toward the waters. 
 
“I don’t want to…” Seohyun whined zipping her suit again and helplessly crawled back into the river. 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
Repeated breathless panting echoed in the night, feet pounded against the ground as he urged his legs to carry him on faster. The loud crickets he’d heard earlier had now disappeared leaving him in complete silence. God, was his heart beating fast. He hadn’t been so nervous about a job before. 
 
His feet came to an urgent halt when he saw a beam of light searching the trail of the woods some yards away. If he didn’t move fast he’d be discovered in no time. He pivoted around to head back and find somewhere to hide within the darkness of the trees, but froze when the light landed on the back of his head. 
 
“Who are you?” the voice asked as he neared. 
 
He gulped uncertain of what to do. If he ran, he’d definitely show that he was suspicious. If he stayed he definitely be interrogated. 
 
The steps neared and his screaming heart seared into the sky. 
 
“Are you the noob they sent earlier?” 
 
Noob? An idea clicked inside his head. 
 
“Ah! Yes!” he turned around suddenly full of confidence. “I’m Lee Donghae.” 
 
His eyes bore themselves into the thin eyes of the handsome, buff, ideal, perfect man of every woman’s dreams in front of him. The officer’s hair was slightly gelled back, his broad shoulders making Donghae feel like a tiny mouse. Donghae quietly read his nametag: Choi Siwon. He gulped and decided that if he made one small mistake this man would have him in handcuffs within .5 seconds. 
 
“What’s that bag for?” Siwon gestured at the bag slung around Donghae’s shoulders. 
 
“Oh…uh…” Donghae tried to keep his posture and remain calm. “Just…I brought some notes along. You know, in case I needed to record down anything.” 
 
Donghae ped the black bag and dug around for a broken pencil and a white notepad. 
 
“See?” Donghae glanced into the officer’s face pleading, praying to the heavens that the damn officer in front of him would fall for his sinful lie. 
 
“Don’t you know that someone else is in charge with that?” Siwon cocked an eyebrow. “Follow me. We have other orders to take.” 
 
“Y…yes, sir!” Donghae zipped his bag and followed him back the way he’d just came. 
 
He let out a tired sigh. His body was drained of the real energy he needed. The food he’d eaten earlier had gone to sneaking around and hiding inside a closet cramped up. At least he had it. The two dragon antique that had been shipped to Japan during the 14th century. 
 
Police cars were swarming into the yard when Donghae and Siwon walked out of the woods. The large wooden doors of the mansion were open, the mayor Donghae had so often seen on TV was explaining to the cops that his antique hall had been broken into. Donghae stiffened up when he mentioned the many valuable antiques he had and how he couldn’t afford to lose them, but he didn’t talk about the dragon Donghae had taken. 
 
Donghae couldn’t imagine what the big deal was anyway. He’d just taken one item not the whole case. 
 
“Over there,” Siwon led him toward a skinny man in a tan jacket. 
 
He was smoking a white cigar when he turned to greet Siwon enthusiastically. Donghae freely ran his eyes over the old man critiquing his unique style silently before Siwon pulled him over. 
 
“This is the newbie I found walking through the woods.” Siwon explained. 
 
“Newbie?” the chief raised an eyebrow surprised. “But the newbie’s already arrived. He’s over there, see?” 
 
The chief pointed to a man in dark rimmed glasses standing amongst a crew of officers staring around the mayor’s property in awe. Donghae felt his nervous heart grind inside him when they all turned to focus their attention on him. 
 
“What division are you from?” the chief questioned taking the cigar out of his mouth and breathing an air of smoke into Donghae’s face. 
 
Donghae tried his best not to choke and cough like a complete idiot. 
 
“Uh…I…” 
 
“Ahh…you’re a graduate from the academy and just started,” the chief assumed, his voice more nasal the more he talked. “Siwon, take him back to make a badge for him. We’re quite done here anyway. There’s no trace of the robber. We’ll leave it to the authorities coming in at dawn.” 
 
“Yes, sir!” Siwon answered loudly before leading Donghae toward his squad car. 
 
During the trip back to the police station Donghae shifted back and forth uncomfortably. He could only imagine how it’d be if it were him sitting in the backseat helplessly. Did Siwon know he was lying? Could he see through him? 
 
“So where are you from?” Siwon asked turning the radio down. 
 
“Nooo! Leave the music, leave the music!” Donghae’s insides bellowed but he remained still in his seat. He quietly replied, “Here, Seoul.” 
 
“You must like the big cities,” Siwon commented. 
 
Donghae turned to look out his window sinking into his seat wishing that the officer wouldn’t talk to him anymore. God, he was suffocating. 
 
“Uh…yea…” 
 
“We can get your badge then you can go home. Do you need a ride home?” Siwon questioned. 
 
“No.” Donghae replied almost immediately and when Siwon turned to eye him Donghae regretted everything he’d done. “I mean…I can hitch a ride home. I have a friend who lives nearby.” 
 
Siwon nodded and smiled before turning into the parking lot of the police station. 
 
“Aigoo! I’m so tired,” Donghae trudged through his large apartment and dropped freely onto his bed. 
 
He turned over, slid the bag off, and dug inside for the tiny statue he’d taken. Donghae ran his fingers over the delicate dragon.
 
“It’s carved so finely,” he commented feeling each and every curve, line, and detail on the dragon. “I’m gonna sell you for a sweet price, you beautiful thing.” 
 
He kissed the dragon and set it on the table before lying back down. Donghae pulled out his police badge and glanced at his fine picture on it before he flicked the card with his fingers. The moon helped shine a brilliant white hue across the card and Donghae could only admire it some more. 
 
“I’ve suddenly become a cop,” Donghae muttered. “How interesting.”  
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
Seohyun let out a yawn while stretching her arms and climbed out of bed. Walking down the small hallway of their apartment she peered into Victoria’s room to see that she was still asleep. Half of her bed sheet lie on the ground in her plain bedroom. Seohyun shook her head and continued walking on. The white walls greeted her kindly by almost blinding her when she set the boiler onto the stove and grabbed last night’s coffee pouring it into a mug. 
 
“Ah…my muscles are too stiff,” she mumbled pounding on her shoulders with fists. 
 
She turned around to pull a chair out and sat down to sip at the coffee before she heard Victoria’s loud footsteps shuffling down the hall. 
 
“What are you doing?” she asked, her voice tired and low pitched.
 
“Noodles.” 
 
Victoria yawned and walked back to her room. Seohyun quietly continued drinking away at her cup of coffee before Victoria shuffled by dressed in new clothes for the day, a purse in hand. 
 
“Where are you going?” Seohyun asked.
 
“Out for breakfast.”
 
“You’re going out?” Seohyun asked in a gasp. 
 
Victoria raised a hand and lazily nodded her head as she continued for the door. 
 
“W…wait for me!” Seohyun turned the stove off and rushed toward her bedroom grabbing and tossing whatever clothes she deemed comfortable for the day’s routine. “Victoria!” 
 
Victoria stopped at the bottom of the apartment building to wait for her. The building was actually quite old, the wooden frames around the doors were slowly starting to fall apart and even the old walls that had lost their colors through time were cracking open. Seohyun was uncomfortable by the creaking of the floors in their apartment, but even as much as she complained she was getting paid an abnormal salary each day for doing what she did. After all this was over, she’d relax in her luxurious home and waste away her money on nice clothes and another sports car. 
 
When she neared Victoria she reached an arm out pulling her shirt to drag her over. 
 
“Ah…ah…ow! My shirt’s going to tear!” Seohyun bellowed loudly staggering over her own feet. 
 
“Shh!” Victoria tossed a forefinger to her lips. “You can’t talk about the ‘Golden Mary’ anymore! People might overhear us. Remember that.” 
 
“What are you talking about? Not like anyone knows what it is anyway,” Seohyun muttered gently pulling at her shirt to straighten it out. 
 
“Yah, I think someone overheard us yesterday,” Victoria shared her thoughts. “When we were at the canteen.”
 
“He doesn’t even know what the ‘Golden Mary’ is anyway,” Seohyun shook her head. “You’re over thinking everything.” 
 
“Cause you’re too laid back!” Victoria pressed on. 
 
“Lips are locked. Good enough?” Seohyun pushed Victoria out the door. “I’m hungry.” 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
Siwon found himself staring down at the small white sheet with a somewhat strange sketch of a distorted face. Curly hair tucked to the left of the man’s face, voluptuous lips, a small nose, and double eyelids with long eyelashes. 
 
“Is this…really how he looks like?” Siwon questioned the short man in front of him. 
 
The man nodded, “This was how the thief was described to me.” 
 
Siwon tried not to complain that it didn’t look like a man at all. That no matter how many people he tried to compare the picture to, it really didn’t resemble anyone at all. 
 
He cleared his throat, “I’ll do my best. Thank you.” 
 
Raising his eyebrows he started back toward his police car running a hand through the back of his head wondering that the person who’d ever come close was someone who’d had an extreme makeover during surgery. 
 
\ \ \ \ \
 
“The ‘Golden Mary’!? There’s such a thing?”
 
“Shh!!!” Donghae wrapped his hand around noisy Hyukjae’s mouth. “Be quiet! I heard it’s a very rare item, which should double its price by millions.” 
 
Donghae turned to put his hands together and bit his lower lip. 
 
“But how’d you hear of it?” Hyukjae put an arm on his shoulder to lean over. 
 
“I heard some girls gossiping about it. I have to find it before they do.” 
 
“Do you even know what it is?” 
 
“Of course!” Donghae nodded before raising his arms in a circle. “It’s a golden statue of the Mary.” 
 
Hyukjae nodded along with him, lips puckered. 
 
Donghae suddenly got up, “Hey, auction that for a good price. Remember we split it 8:2.” 
 
“6:4.” Hyukjae refuted. 
 
Donghae scowled at him, “Fine, whatever!” 
 
Sticking both his hands into the pockets of his shorts he stalked out onto the sidewalk. The streets were really messy with garbage and smelled of rotten food. He jogged pass some green doors and turned around the corner to hear someone scream “Thief!” Quickly halting he became limp and turned around to walk away from the scene. When he made it around the corner he quickly froze again when he recognized Choi Siwon running his way. 
 
“Great,” he bit his tongue and hurried back the way he’d come. 
 
He stole into a thin alleyway by the green doors and once he escaped to the other side two girls swept by in a run. His eyes staggered after them before he raised an eyebrow. Donghae remembered them. They were the girls who’d been talking about the ‘Golden Mary’. 
 
Taking a step forward he turned to look their way to see them running after someone. A smirk climbed over his lips when he backed tracked through the alley starting at a jog which quickly transitioned into a run. 

***All of their times excluding Luhan's coincide here. Lets see who Donghae catches next chapter ^^ Everyone will perhaps meet each other somehow Chapter 2 hehe~