Help for the Needy

The Mask of Sanity:

I'm back with Chapter 2! I thank the people who have been commenting and I'll have you personal replies at the bottom of the post C:
Today's chapter will be in the point of view of Hyoyeon, so I hope you don't mind. C: Please enjoy~

P.S: I had plenty of comments on the prologue and I wonder where ya'll all went...WAE U GO?! D;



 












 

Chapter 2: Hyoyeon

Help for the Needy







“How do you feel?”

“Fine.”

“I see. You’ve been feeling ’fine’ for the past month.”

“I guess.”

“Do you know why you’re here?”

“To be interviewed by you. As always.”

“Are you sure?”

“Well it’s your job, isn’t it.”

“It is my job but I was asking if you knew why you’re here; In the Madhouse.”

“I’m supposably crazy, according to you guys.”

“Hm, you don’t seem insane.”

“I’m not, but I probably am; somewhere in me.”

“You’re confusing as always Taeyeon-sshi.”

“And you’re nosy as always Dr. Hyoyeon.”

“It’s my job, as you stated.”

“…”

“You do know you’re here because of what you did just a few months ago right?”

“…I’m somewhat aware.”

“Why did you do it?”

“She hurt me. It’s only fair to hurt her back.”

“You put her in the hospital. Was it really worth it? I mean, hurting her like that?”

“I was hurt too. Torn into pieces. How did you except me to react?!”

“Now, Taeyeon, I’m the one asking questions here.”

“Okay.”

“What exactly did she do?”

“You already asked this when I was enrolled in here. You probably already knew before that anyway. It was all over the news.”

“Still, what did she do to you?”

“She killed me.”

“I see. How?”

“By betraying me and by lying.”

“You could’ve gotten over that right?”

“…I guess I could’ve. But she went too far.”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

“You were traumatized.”

“No…but maybe emotionally broken would be the word to describe me.”

“And that caused you to take those drastic measures into hospitalizing her?”

“I wasn’t in my mind.”

“And now?”

“I don’t think I regained my control back yet. She keeps on haunting me, every night, when I try to sleep.”

“She’s dead, you know.”

“…I see…”

“You killed her.”

“I…”

“She’s gone.”

“Then why does she keeping on coming back?!”

“Even I don’t know. But I do know she passed away a few days ago.”

“…”

“Taeyeon-sshi?”

“…Can I be dismissed now…?




 






Kim Taeyeon was very different from many of my patients that come in and out of my office. She was calm and that meant I didn’t need a guard watching over me during our sessions, just in case she did anything, which she didn’t. She was actually very civil compared to everyone else and she had committed something much more severe than those others.

I ran my eyes over my notebook.

She would answer my questions quietly, softly, and sometimes when I hit a soft stop, she would raise her voice ever so slightly and allowed me to see a little bit of the Kim Taeyeon I wasn’t able to crack yet.

She was like a mystery.

I got up and walked towards the door, opening it. It’s been a while since I took a walk around the Madhouse. This would be the perfect time to see what’s been going on.

As I peacefully walked the long hallways, I greet the nearby nurses, occasionally stopping to make light chat. Although, I was just using those nurses to get closer to the patient’s room. I was analysing their behaviour and their current status from the corner of my eye as I faked a laugh in front of their assigned nurse.

It might seem that I was close to everybody but there were only a few people I trust. This was, after all, the Madhouse. You couldn’t take what people say seriously most of the time.

I think I’ve gotten use to it by now.

I was making my way to the children’s room now and I could here the excited chatters of the little ones, both orphans and the wails of the disabled and mental children.

Then, just as I was about to pass their colorful window, I heard an ear-piercing scream.

A dolphin scream, to be precise.

“Get OUT!”

I heard the most peculiar laughter ring in my ears and I had to stop and peek my head through the door to see what was going on.

“Right now! N.O.W!”

I saw the children giggle and point at an older couple that were bickering in front of them. I smiled slightly when I saw the two.

Caretaker Jessica and kid-like Yuri.

“How many times do I have to tell you not to come in here? Are you deaf?!” Jessica glared at Yuri, annoyed.

Yuri cowered behind the ball she was holding. The icy stare Jessica was giving to Yuri sent chills down my spine. There was something about Jessica’s aura that made me a little bit more aware around of her. It seems like pissing her off would be the death of anyone.

Rumor has it that she use to be apart of the military.

“Or are you just stupid!?”

Oh, I was glad the children didn’t understand what Jessica was saying right now.

“But I was just trying to play with the ki-“

Jessica cut her off fiercely. “When I’m trying to get them to bathe?” Her dark, glassy eyes threw daggers at Yuri as she bent down to pick up a half- little boy, putting the shirt she held on him.

Yuri bit her lip. “Well I can help you then!” She suggested. She stepped forward, arms extended.

“What?!” Jessica jerked her head back to Yuri, wearing a deep scowl. She was about to blow and Yuri knew it.

Yuri whimpered. “Or maybe not!” I watched as she ran out the door, passing me swiftly as our shoulders knocked slightly.

Suddenly, right before she turned the corner, she turned back to me and ran back towards me. I raised my brow in amusement when she stopped in front of me.

Yuri grinned at me sillily. “Oh hey Dr. Hyoyeo-“

“Get out of my sight!” Jessica’s exclaimed from inside of the room.

Yuri stumbled back, frightened. “Uh, bye Dr. Hyoyeon!” She yelled out quickly before sprinting down the hallway, disappearing.

That Yuri was something else.

I chuckled slightly and turned my head back to Jessica. I stared at her through the window and she must’ve felt my eyes on her because she stopped undressing a kid and turned to look back at me.

She frowned and glared at me expectedly.

I shivered and slowly backed away.

What an ice princess.

Who ever gave her the job as the caretaker of little kids?

I continued my walk back down the hallway but paused when I was at the corner.

Something had grabbed my ankle.

I looked down and was met with a slender hand that was wrapped tightly around my foot. I let my eyes follow the thin arm up to the owner’s face and I was met with Yuri. I kicked her hand away.

“What the hell?!”

Yuri was crouching behind the wall of the corner, her head on her knees as she stared up at me with a grin.

“Hey Hyoyeon!” She said cheerfully.

I rubbed my temples.

“Yes Yuri?”

“What’s up?” She asked, still sitting on the floor.

Seriously? She was stopping me to ask me this?

“Uh, nothing, I guess…” I replied uncomfortably. Yuri was a weird girl. Being born directly in the Madhouse, I guess I should’ve expected her to come out with some problems. Even though the elders here said she was born normally with no effects physically or mentally, when I first met her, I swore she was a patient here.

I even asked her if she needed help getting back to her room, which she just laughed at me and told me she was my tour.

I remember being dragged around the whole perimeter of the Madhouse that day.

She smiled at me and jumped up, towering me by a foot.

Why did this kid have to be so tall? And I was older than her too! Even though it was only by a few months, I certainly would’ve liked it if she was at least a little bit shorter. She was a freaking tower and that offended me.

“Good! Because I need your help.” She said, suddenly becoming serious.

I started to get curious. “With what?”

“Winning that caretaker’s heart.” She said curtly.

“Oh.”

Wait.

What?

“Caretaker as in Jessica?!” I exclaimed, shocked.

Yuri just grinned at me.

“So that’s her name?”

I nodded.

Yuri rubbed her chin with two fingers, thinking. Then, she grinned.

“Jessica fits Jessica perfectly.”

I furrowed my brows confusingly.

“O-Okay?”

“So,” She started to play with her fingers. “You’ll help me?”

I could only look at Yuri’s face blankly. How could I say no when she was so determined and she when she was wearing that puppy dog face?

I sighed, my shoulders slumping.

“Sure.”

“Alright!” She yelled excitedly, pumping her fist into the air.

I smiled at the sight.

This was the right choice and as a therapist and the councillor of the Madhouse, I guess I was required to provide assistance to the ones in need. I rolled my eyes to myself.

What a job I’ve chosen.

“Now,” I said, “What’s your plan?”

Yuri stopped her celebration dance. She frowned at me.

“Plan? There’s no plan. I just need you to help me out.”

Well that wasn’t helpful at all.

I let out a loud sigh.

“Yuri…” I warned, irritated with her answer.

If I die in the hands of that ice princess, I’ll make sure to haunt Yuri for the rest of her life.

That is, if she survives for wrath of Jessica, the legendary deadly snowman.

“Don’t worry!” She gave me a thumbs up.

I face palmed myself.

How can I not worry?




“Tiffany!” I yelled out when I saw the familiar silhouette of the brunette.

She whipped around and smiled widely when she saw me.

“Hyoyeon!”

I jogged up to her.

“You here to visit again?” I asked, referring to Taeyeon.

She nodded and replied. “Yup! I brought her some of her favourite ice cream too.” I spotted a white plastic bag beside Tiffany’s side.

“How’d you know that’s her favourite?”

It was fascinating really, seeing Tiffany know so much about Taeyeon when I could barely get through a session with her without squeezing out any critical information I needed to cure Taeyeon. She had a disorder, a problem, but I just didn’t know which one.

Tiffany’s eyes transformed into crescents. “She use to always eat them when we went out.”

My eyes widened. “Really? You guys were friends even before you started visiting?”

I saw her nod slightly and shuffle her feet. “Yeah. We were all friends…”

Ah, I see.

Taeyeon wasn’t like this in the past and Tiffany and Taeyeon actually got along well with each other. I took notice with her fidgety stance.

I’m guessing she was friends with Taeyeon’s past "lover". I could only assume the girl that died a few days ago was Taeyeon's love. Why else would she be so hung up on her. If only Taeyeon would tell me the full story...

I smiled and patted her shoulder. “You should be a bit more careful today with Taeyeon.” I said, changing the subject.

Tiffany looked at me with questioning eyes. “Did she have her session with you today?”

I nodded and she was thoughtful. Finally, she hugged me.

The hug had taken me off guard and I wrapped my arms around her awkwardly.

“Okay, thanks for the advice Hyoyeon!” She smiled at me, letting go before skipping to the recipient’s desk, signing in.

I was so immersed with watching Tiffany talk happily to the nervous recipient that I didn’t notice I was still standing in the middle of the waiting room.

“Ommff-“ I stumbled back when someone bumped into me. The notebook I was holding fell to the ground.

A girl taller than me stood in front of me slightly fazed as she held onto her plush toy tightly. She burried her face deep into her keroro plush and stared at me wide wide, frightened eyes.

I stood there silently, excepting an apology.

But instead of her opening to say ‘sorry’, she bowed to me and rushed right passed me, not saying one word.

I was ticked off.

I picked up my book.

“Yah!” I yelled angrily after her escaping figure.

The girl didn’t turn around and hurriedly threw a door open, disappearing in it. The door shut close with a slam. I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned around to be met with huge, clear orbs, staring down at me.

Great. Another person taller than me.

“Um,” She started slowly as she cautiously took a step back. I must’ve looked intimidating at the moment, with my anger showing.

“Was that Seohyun?”

I frowned. “Who?” I said a bit too heatedly.

She took another step back, watching me carefully. “Seohyun.” She pointed with a long finger behind me at the door that that girl had disappeared into.

So Seohyun was her name…I’ll be sure to call her in for a session soon.

I ran a hand through my hair tiredly. “I guess she is. I’m sorry but that was my first time seeing her around her.” I never really left my office unless I needed to. The past events of the day replayed in my mind and I now knew why I barely went out into the Madhouse's main sections.

It was crazy.

The girl nodded understandingly.

“Oh, that’s fine. I’m pretty sure that was Seohyun anyway…” She trailed off.

I felt throbbing in my head as my eye twitched in annoyance.

Then why ask me?

“Um.” She pulled me out of my thoughts. “Could I see her?”

“Only if you sign the papers in the front desk.” I motioned to the front. “Once the papers are done, you’re able to see her.”

I cocked my head. “You here for a visit?”

She hesitated. “Um, yeah…”

“You’re a friend of hers?”

She shifted, her doe eyes avoiding my face.

“I guess you could say that…”

I was suspicious of this girl but I didn’t question her any further. I had too much going on today and I didn’t want to add to the drama.

“Okay. Just make sure you sign in.”

She nodded and made her way to the front desk.

I started to walk back to my office, rubbing my eyes tiredly. Then, I stopped for a second.

I forgot to ask that girl for her name.

Damn.

I groaned and dragged my legs towards my room.

I’m never leaving my office again.



 






That's it for now!

Please comment below and tell me your thoughts. It brings me joy...C: